Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Monorail_Orange

I’m 35 and already agree with you. I’m to the point where I will enjoy my vacations as much as I can and if a certain vacation stops being enjoyable to me I’ll go elsewhere. Simple as that. There is no sense in continually complaining about something I am spending thousands of dollars to do. Only a fool would continue spending that kind of money to be so angry.
Definitely on the same page as you guys on this. I spend thousands of dollars every year to take my family to both WDW and DLR. We do it because we enjoy them tremendously. Could the experience be better? Yes, indubitably. Are we part of the problem encouraging mediocrity because we don't stop giving the mouse our money? Arguably, yes - from a certain point of view. Much like you, I still enjoy it, and go. Sure, there are a number of old attractions I miss, and wish were still available. But I won't let that prevent me from enjoying what's there now. If we hit the point where we just don't enjoy it anymore, we too will go elsewhere.

TP2000

It’ll be good, it’ll be enjoyable, but the short sighted travesty of not being a new build (unlike Anaheim and Paris) will remain.

Really? I would have thought that giant GMR warehouse they had to work with would have been a blank enough slate.

If anything, I was looking at the aerial photos of the Disneyland site that Bioreconstruct took last week and it seems noticeably constricted on a narrow rectangle of land. Or at least it looks narrow and rectangular from the air. I haven't done a Google Earth compare/contrast to the GMR building and DHS plot, but this just seems smaller to me.

EJXFMOIXUAAKB9p

Or is it not so much the size of the building, but the ability to start from scratch from the basement up?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Well, as a genre nothing will surpass it, but we need to bury (I think you are saying) GMR and look for the silver lining and give the new stuff a chance. To many people have already decided that because it is replacing a personally loved attraction that it is going to be terribly flawed. Like I said, suspension of disbelief and open to new ideas and technology would go a long way to enjoying this thing. I realize that I have not seen it myself yet, but I don't plan on comparing it to anything else and just let it win or lose based on its own merit.
Yep that is my opinion. I was equally as disappointed in closing Snow White for a new experience-ie meet and greet. Me if you are going to close it for something better. Currently I praise THE Oddessay EPCOT EXPERIENCE as it is IMO a 100% improvement over anything that venue was used for.

Goofyernmost

Yep that is my opinion. I was equally as disappointed in closing Snow White for a new experience-ie meet and greet. Me if you are going to close it for something better. Currently I praise THE Oddessay EPCOT EXPERIENCE as it is IMO a 100% improvement over anything that venue was used for.
When I first went there, it was a place to eat. Then for all intents and purposes it was empty, so a vending machine in there would be classified as an improvement.

ToTBellHop

The move was definitely to build Mickey and Minnie's elsewhere and have GMR undergo a significant refurb upon the opening of Toy Story Land.
100%. The decision they made was short-sighted and financially wasteful. Bulldoze Launch Bay, put MMRR there, refurbish GMR and they could have had, in effect, two new E-tickets next year for around $100-150m more than they spent sneaking MMRR in. Instead they’ll inevitably need to approve a $300m new build to add capacity to the park.

tirian

Definitely on the same page as you guys on this. I spend thousands of dollars every year to take my family to both WDW and DLR. We do it because we enjoy them tremendously. Could the experience be better? Yes, indubitably. Are we part of the problem encouraging mediocrity because we don't stop giving the mouse our money? Arguably, yes - from a certain point of view. Much like you, I still enjoy it, and go. Sure, there are a number of old attractions I miss, and wish were still available. But I won't let that prevent me from enjoying what's there now. If we hit the point where we just don't enjoy it anymore, we too will go elsewhere.
Same here. My love of park history and real-life career make it impossible not to critique their decisions; but when I’m there, I turn that off and enjoy the parks!

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Simply, what it boils down to is that it is either a situation that is serious enough to stop someone from going or it isn't. If it isn't then for the most part it is just an expression of opinion. What is concerning is when we, as a group make such a big deal out of things that we cannot control that we drive some people away or taint their ability to tour WDW with an open mind and looking through innocent childlike eyes.

It's hard to explain what I am trying to say. I only know that I first visited, with my family, when I was 35 years old. I had no preconceived notions about what I was going to see or what faults or blemishes I should be looking for. Guess what, I didn't see any and the result was that I visited there pretty much yearly for 35 years. I still go there the same way. I don't know what to expect, I make no effort to remember details from one visit to another and my life was always to busy to waste a lot of time critiquing it. I just knew what I liked and what I disliked. The only thing I do know is how much more difficult it is to plan now. Before all we had to do was park the car, show someone a ticket and go crazy. To me it was a lot more fun back then, but, it was not because there might not have been a paint chip or a full trash can. With so many things to see, do or listen too, how does anyone have the time to look at minor little things that shouldn't affect us at all.

Goofyernmost

100%. The decision they made was short-sighted and financially wasteful. Bulldoze Launch Bay, put MMRR there, refurbish GMR and they could have had, in effect, two new E-tickets next year for around $100-150m more than they spent sneaking MMRR in. Instead they’ll inevitably need to approve a $300m new build to add capacity to the park.
Well, many of us think that and saw that over the years, the popularity of the attraction lessened and the so many people never understood the back story of the attraction, even when it was new. As a nostalgia attraction, appreciated by only a small percentage of WDW guests the financially wasteful thing would have been to make an attempt to upgrade it, (you would still have movies that many had never seen and the omission of some of the newer popular movies) For so many of today's visitors the GMR was not even understood.

Tearing down another existing building, would not really help anything if it is the same thing as using an available "warehouse" and building it there. I would guess that MMRR will be a very popular attraction and that will actually make a difference in how the flow will go and help with the capacity issues. Not to mention the addition of two new lands with a total of 4 new attractions (for now) and a massive amount of theming eye candy. If we want to get nostalgic, than the things I want back are 20K, Mission to Mars, If you had wings, The Timekeeper, The Skyway, World of Motion, The old Imagination and for some Horizon's were all bigger losses than GMR. I loved it, but, the intrigue of the attraction had long since gone and all that remained was the comfort food of attraction for those of us that had made many trips around the yellow brick road.

Now they have a new ride that most likely will attract many more people and there is still a place available for a new and different attraction should they decide one is needed. I'm just happy that the Theater facade still exists. That really was the highlight of the ride anyway and the one that got no respect for many years. (Big Ugly Hat anyone) I would like to get a hold of whoever made the decision to put that monstrosity in front of the theater and do unspeakable harm to them.

No Name

The concept of the GMR, not really the specific movies represented, is the biggest loss, in my opinion. You‘d think that the Bobs, with their special mindset, would love a ride that can showcase a dozen+ movie franchise IPs in the center of the park. And the active vs. passive nature of the ride is very in line with modern rides. I’d argue it was so effective to a fault, because many people genuinely suspect nothing before the twist scares the out of little kids, young mothers, etc. I would constantly see shock among other riders. Even myself, many years into riding it, still found it jarring. It was effective to a fault.

However I‘m really not opposed to this new Mickey ride, if it turns out to be good. Ideally I think both that and the GMR should’ve and could’ve had entrances at the center of the park, from the theater, but that’s a longer explanation.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney tried the virtual q thing with dumbo... do they still hand out the pagers? It didn’t really seem to work out that well.

They did a test at rock n rollercoaster didn’t they? With a dj and like guitar hero games in the courtyard.

nickys

Premium Member
Disney tried the virtual q thing with dumbo... do they still hand out the pagers? It didn’t really seem to work out that well.

They did a test at rock n rollercoaster didn’t they? With a dj and like guitar hero games in the courtyard.

They still do the pagers at Dumbo if your kids want to play, otherwise you just stay in line. What makes you think it didn’t work very well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom