Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

RobWDW1971

They didn’t want it everywhere but only wanted it some places for emphasis.

Where was the outrage on Pandora?

Apples and oranges because the music from Avatar is not an important, integral, iconic part of the IP. That’s why Avatar music is not blaring in the esplanade and on every TV commercial about the resort. And when did Pandora become the blueprint for every land regardless of the IP?

Oh, and Pandora > SWGE.

ToTBellHop

Apples and oranges because the music from Avatar is not an important, integral, iconic part of the IP. That’s why Avatar music is not blaring in the esplanade and on every TV commercial about the resort. And when did Pandora become the blueprint for every land regardless of the IP?

Oh, and Pandora > SWGE.
Lots of opinions disguised as fact. Why wouldn’t they mimic the model that was a success at the previous IP land?

Nunu

Wanderluster
I really don't get the comparisons between Pandora and Galaxy's Edge. Two very different franchises at two very different parks. Yes, they are both lands at WDW, but each has it's own narrative, imo.

I've never seen the Pandora movie but can enjoy the details and ambiance achieved inside the land. On the other hand, I'm a Star Wars fan and, even though the land could improve, I was able to appreciate and enjoy my visit.

I don't need to choose one above the other, oranges and apples to me.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Oh, and Pandora > SWGE.

Giant blue space hippieland vs consumerland ? Hard call, but I'm for a big blue BBQ to be served at Flametree. Nerve gas the population

DarkMetroid567

IMHO no single attraction. In no particular order, Orlando TOT and Splash, RSR, Paris PotC, Phantom Manor, Forbidden Journey. American Adventure. I dare say Mystic Manor would make it too.

Honourable mentions to those no longer with us; SSE, Imag 1, Horizons, the concept of the original UoE. Paris’ Space Mountain From the Earth to the Moon. Even World of Motion.

I anticipate Rise will be there too. But there again I got Falcon wrong.

I love this list, but I think I'd remove Forbidden Journey. As much as I love the queue and technology, the screens have aged very poorly. Hoping the same doesn't happen to FOP.

ToTBellHop

I really don't get the comparisons between Pandora and Galaxy's Edge. Two very different franchises at two very different parks. Yes, they are both lands at WDW, but each has it's own narrative, imo.

I've never seen the Pandora movie but can enjoy the details and ambiance achieved inside the land. On the other hand, I'm a Star Wars fan and, even though the land could improve, I was able to appreciate and enjoy my visit.

I don't need to choose one above the other, oranges and apples to me.
2 alien planets we are meant to feel transported to while physically leaving the theme park. Each is meant to be a “real” place, not a movie set, so we hear animals as we walk, not music. CMs are meant to actually live in this place. Both had alien merchandise and food generated that were land-exclusive. 3 ride lands got cut to two—one headliner and one backup that receives a lot of complaints. Tons of rock work. In lieu of actual shows, guests are invited to “explore” the land, interacting with their surroundings.

SWGE is actually quite derivative of both Pandora and Hogsmeade (minus music).

Nunu

Wanderluster
2 alien planets we are meant to feel transported to while physically leaving the theme park. Each is meant to be a “real” place, not a movie set, so we hear animals as we walk, not music. CMs are meant to actually live in this place. Both had alien merchandise and food generated that were land-exclusive. 3 ride lands got cut to two—one headliner and one backup that receives a lot of complaints. Tons of rock work. In lieu of actual shows, guests are invited to “explore” the land, interacting with their surroundings.

SWGE is actually quite derivative of both Pandora and Hogsmeade (minus music).
I get what you mean, same genre and potential fanbase.

In Pandora, I've never felt like CM's are anything other than that, certainly not locals.
Oh! And people didn't complain about droids and/or aliens not roaming in Pandora either.

Nunu

Wanderluster
@MansionButler84 , or somebobody who might know:

I'll be at WDW on Dec 5. I'd imagine that the opening ceremony for RotR is a private, invitation only event, right? It's just that I saw what appeared to be hundreds (?) of regular folks when MF:SR was dedicated.

Were all those people present, just vloggers and press? Thanks!

AEfx

Once again...…..
Nothing has been directly experienced/seen by me. This is a collection of everything I've heard by people directly related to the project. I trust everything I heard/am writing is factual and correct, but you don't have to. I am a messenger. Please do not shoot the messenger.

*Below are details on each of the attractions scenes explained to me in person and written off of memory. Everything was explained in bits and pieces by several individuals, not in chronological order. I've pieced them together in what I think the order is... I could be wrong on the proper arrangement of sequences... but I'm almost positive that I'm right*

Everything I know about RotR @ DLR.... part 2
LOAD ROOM
The 3rd pre-show is now over. The solid wall next to you has been cut and destroyed by lasers (what is said to *apparently* be an extremely impressive practical effect) and you now find yourself in the next room with 2 droid powered vehicles, and 2 resistance dispatch cast members. Each detention cell has its own boarding room (4 total) w 2 vehicles.

*NOTE: Story time... each vehicle has an animatronic droid attached to the front. These droids did in fact belong to the first order but were just recently hacked by the resistance within seconds. This is a big problem.. these droids are clueless, don't know where they're going and will find themselves making wrong turns/getting us into sticky situations as they attempt to find escape pods.*

Dispatch System: Since there are 4 different dispatching rooms, there will be a virtual dispatch queue. Once both CMs push their dispatch buttons, the cars will enter a virtual queue and the vehicles will enter the attraction in the order they were dispatched.

Once dispatched, the vehicles will enter what is known as the disco/ballroom. They will be joined by 2 other empty vehicles (that belong to the first order) as our droids try to remain calm and pretend as if they're on the same team. Now what you wont know is that these empty vehicles are actually returning from unload to pick up more guests in their proper boarding rooms.

RIDE DETAILS AND SHOW SCENES
There are apparently many fast moving doors that will slam in your face as you make wrong turns. You will make another wrong turn and end up in the AT-AT room. Finn will be in animatronic form in this room, stormtrooper body, human face. The cars will separate and go their separate ways for a bit. Each of them will back into an elevator lift and will *aggressively* skyrocket upwards while being shot at with laser blasts (think mission breakout style launch). Each vehicle will have its own perspective of the AT-ATs while on the lift. The laser blasts will in fact appear to travel through thin air. The patents look confusing and the explanations on how this works weren't much better.. but from what I gathered, there will be dozens of rapidly moving fans spinning in show scenes that you wont see there. The fans will project laser blasts and when timed correctly in show lighting, will look like laser blasts in mid air. Think of those LED fans that can display holograms/images.

Once on the second floor, you'll accidentally enter on a private conversation between animatronic Hux and Kylo. They know about you breaking out. Kylo is angry and has been on the hunt to find you. Something happens and he notices the vehicle. The animatronic turns at you aggressively and all hell breaks loose.

You zoom out of there into the next room and suddenly Kylo is at the end of the hallway. He starts physically bolting, running towards your vehicle (this will be a very interesting practical/screen hybrid effect... I'll explain later). You are simultaneously moving backwards into an "elevator" and just as he is about to get you, the doors slam in his face at the last second. Your "elevator" simulates movement and you've escaped the confrontation.... so you think. Kylo jumps on top of your elevator and rams his saber through the ceiling just inches away from your face. He starts dragging the blade around the vehicle and creates burned metal gash marks across the ceiling (this will be a practical effect).

Now lets talk about that hybrid screen/practical effect. The running Kylo is actually a flat cutout that has a physical hand and saber attached to it. This cutout is attached to a fast moving sled on a track that will accelerate towards your vehicle. Kylo will actually be projected onto the cutout and will run towards you. With the projection and the physical hand, the line between screen and animatronic will be blurred. It apparently looks crazy with the lights on but will look great proper show conditions.

Next will come the gun room. The guns will jolt forward and blast into screens above you. Both vehicles will travel through the blasting guns like a game of frogger. You will feel the heat. vibrations of the gun blasts.

The finale is next... You are suddenly cornered by the last Kylo animatronic in the finale scene. You're almost at the escape pod when he catches you and you find yourself stuck with no other way to escape. Behind him is a giant window out to space. He uses the force to keep you from moving any further... Suddenly, in the window (screen) behind him, Poe comes flying in with his X wing and starts blasting the entire star destroyer. The room starts crumbling apart and giant (physical) pieces of building/rubble crash down in between you and Kylo. You've escaped his grip and now need to book it to the escape pods before the entire star destroyer falls apart with you in it. The escape pod is actually a simulator platform inside of a drop mechanism, surrounded by screens. Your vehicles quickly enter their own pods and you are suddenly ejected out of the star destroyer. This will be achieved with a drop down to the bottom floor. Not a "controlled" descent. A quick, thrilling, stomach lifting drop.

The video around you shows you crash landing into a giant metal cylinder recycling center on the planet of Batuu (there will be day/night mode). You will pull out of the pod and into the recycling site. This area is semi outdoors and has nice theming. You survived! You will unload and exit into the resistance forest. To give you a point of reference, once the unloaded vehicles are advanced from unload, they will enter the disco/ballroom and face the next set of guests before arriving back at load/detention cell.

Duration is said to be between 3:30-4 minutes

The end.

Aside from this I have some minor information on CMs and how they'll be scheduled to work as its a bit complicated.. but that's what I've heard about the actual attraction experience itself. If I hear more information, I'll be sure to share. I know we are all excited for this project to open. Sorry for the long posts.. I'm just here to feed the children.

Goodnight

That sounds like a really impressive, immersive attraction. Even ambitious in a few of the tricks (on the scale of what we realistically expect for new stateside attractions these days). I truly hope that it runs well and is popular. I genuinely look forward to it.

That said...

If every "Kylo Ren" and "Resistance" in that description was replaced with "Darth Vader" and "Rebels", respectively, I would be violently writhing around on the floor with tears in my eyes, screaming in excitement.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
2 alien planets we are meant to feel transported to while physically leaving the theme park.

One could argue that Avatar is much more visually driven while Star Wars is much more character driven.

Maybe it's because Avatar only has one movie, but I've never felt any strong connection to the characters of Avatar. What drew me to rewatch the movie was the stunning visuals and awe inspiring locations. Given the opportunity of meeting one of the main characters in Avatar or visiting one of the locations, I would take the location anyday.

Star Wars, at least for me, is the complete opposite. Maybe it's because Star Wars happens across such a wide variety of locations, but there is no location in the Star Wars universe (at least what has been seen in the movies) that is so unique and quintessentially "Star Wars" that I'd have an interest to see it. Given the opportunity of meeting one of the main characters in Star Wars or visiting one of the locations, I would take the character visit anyday (though I think the biggest crime is NOT having a pod racer ride).

Maybe this is why I'm okay with Pandora... it doesnt matter that there aren't Navi walking around, it doesnt matter that all of the main characters are completely absent from the land, it doesnt matter that the land is supposed to be set in a time far in the future of the events of the movie. The only thing that matters is that they quite stunningly recreated some of the core impressive visuals of the movie.

But Galaxy's Edge NEEDS Star Wars characters... and not just random ones, but ones that we are all familiar with. I think (hope) Rise will help with this part of the narrative, but we'll see...

Last edited:

matt9112

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, one of WDI’s greatest achievements, lasts 3 1/2 minutes. Never heard, “that’s it?” at the end. It’s hard to maintain a singular, excited story for more than a few minutes on a ride. Disney’s longer rides typically feature little in the way of thrill and show a series of vignettes rather than one story. If the overall experience including the pre-shows and the ride are strong, the overall experience should be exceptional.

Apples to oranges. One is a dramatic thrill based attraction (roller coasters are also (usually short) but they contain a constant thrill. A well designed thrill ride is a smooth flow of this thrill. A ride such as this (small ending drop as it may) is a story driven attraction. You need to see what is developing and what is occuring and it has to make some semblance of sense. (Theme park rides often have glaring plot holes so thats acceptable) but the motion and the energy needs to convey that. I agree if its well done it wont matter BUT i do firmly believe it is too short for a ride such as this. Spiderman is what 5 minutes? Thats the hall mark of this type of ride.

matt9112

The tricky part here is we are now integrating projection onto AA to make something even MORE believable. Something that is not as impressive of a ROBOT as some on Pirates will nonetheless look better. I suspect 10 people could ride and claim 10 different responses to your question about the number of advanced AAs.

In what I’ve seen, which isn’t the whole ride, I’d approximate 50 moving figures. If we include droids...now we are near that 100 number. It’s an impressive ride.

To be fair...and frank does this reliance on such artful technology leave the ride vunerable to looking bad if effects start breaking and subsequently are not repaired quickly because its you know WDW. For example a static AA broken just (arguably) stands there or if your lucky just has poor movement. What happens when charging kylo ren effect breaks down?

Jones14

To be fair...and frank does this reliance on such artful technology leave the ride vunerable to looking bad if effects start breaking and subsequently are not repaired quickly because its you know WDW. For example a static AA broken just (arguably) stands there or if your lucky just has poor movement. What happens when charging kylo ren effect breaks down?
Yeah, but by that logic, we’d never get anything cool or groundbreaking. What’s the point of new attractions if they’re not gonna give us things we haven’t seen before?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom