Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Old Mouseketeer

From my Bothan spy contacts, GE West is still working hard on the RotR ride vehicles. I can't specify what they are working on (nothing to do with ADA conversions) but it takes about 6-8 hours (almost a full shift) per car to do what they are doing to them. Still got about 18 cars to go, last I heard.

One of my Bothans reported in last month (must be one you didn't STEAL!). They saw the cargo door open at the MF:SR maintenance bay and they had rows of RotR vehicles unpacked and being prepped. No reporting on what was going on in the RotR maintenance bay. No word on any cast previews yet. It's been a long time ago, but it used to be in California that before the ride is signed off, they can only do test rides with attractions CMs who are actually on the clock. The second phase is general CMs off the clock (maybe phasing into soft opening). That's how I think I remember it.

Now about those Bothans....

SWGalaxysEdge

One of my Bothans reported in last month (must be one you didn't STEAL!). They saw the cargo door open at the MF:SR maintenance bay and they had rows of RotR vehicles unpacked and being prepped. No reporting on what was going on in the RotR maintenance bay.

...Hmmm if it was SWGECA - I know they have been working on a non-ADA related retrofit for all of the ride cars. If its SWGEFL - I dont know whats going on.

BubbaisSleep

This may be a dumb question but...how do they pull that effect off in the 3rd preshow room? If that’s real sounds super cool!
I won’t read the spoilers but this is the exact reaction I want from a Disney ride. Now I know there’s something to look out for in the third preshow room. Can’t wait to see it!

swge

Safety inspections? getting closer...was there an issue or just normal inspections?
Normal inspection to my knowledge... all regular operator training has been halted until the attraction is signed off. Until then, test and adjust CMs are the only ones allowed to officially operate. Each training set has about 3 new CMs learning and lasts 6 days. Multiple training sets are performed at one time.

tower44

The reference to another apparent use of screens instead of AAs makes me wonder why they are doing that with an attraction so heavily promoted and so expensive. Why cut corners?

mergatroid

The reference to another apparent use of screens instead of AAs makes me wonder why they are doing that with an attraction so heavily promoted and so expensive. Why cut corners?

It depends what the 'characters' are doing to some degree also, there's only so much an animatronic can do. It's one thing having animatronics on Splash Mountain moving slowly but another having an animatronic storm-trooper try to mimic running etc. I think there'd be a melt down on here if they had storm-troopers on a carousel like in Pirates, don't you?

tower44

It depends what the 'characters' are doing to some degree also, there's only so much an animatronic can do. It's one thing having animatronics on Splash Mountain moving slowly but another having an animatronic storm-trooper try to mimic running etc. I think there'd be a melt down on here if they had storm-troopers on a carousel like in Pirates, don't you?

This is a good point.

RobWDW1971

It has a high budget, not an infinite one. You can’t expect 432 animatronics.

And yet we could expect countless AA's in 1967 with Pirates or in 1982 Epcot pavilions like Spaceship Earth and World of Motion - it's amazing how our expectations for WDI get lower and lower and lower....

This is how we get to "OMG, look the eyeball thing rises a foot!!!! It's amazing!!! Post it on Instagram!!!!"

mergatroid

And yet we could expect countless AA's in 1967 with Pirates or in 1982 Epcot pavilions like Spaceship Earth and World of Motion - it's amazing how our expectations for WDI get lower and lower and lower....

This is how we get to "OMG, look the eyeball thing rises a foot!!!! It's amazing!!! Post it on Instagram!!!!"

Again it depends on what you want the animatronics to do though really. If the story line is one where you want rapid, life like movement, then you're pretty stuck using animatronics. Pirates as the example you use has no fast moving animatronics and the 'running' pirates are anything but convincing. It has lots of charm and I love it, but with Rise I'm sure you'd be the first to complain if there was movement or lack of it like in Pirates. Look at Shanghai Pirates which everyone drools over, does it use hundreds of animatronics?

mikejs78

Premium Member

We've established that you're a troll.

Steph15251

You can be negative towards everything,but others can enjoy something even if you do not .I for one am looking forward to ROTR.

ToTBellHop

You’re being disingenuous and you know it. They aren’t countless in number on Pirates and only a handful are particularly impressive (and only due to decades of plussing). In 2019, given their complexity, the number of AAs on RotR is truly remarkable. Not everything needs to be practical to make an impressive attraction. While arguably too short, I find NRJ to be beautiful for its effective integration of projection and practical effects. I have no doubt RotR will similarly integrate projections effectively. You won’t feel like you’re watching a movie like on the trackless ride coming to Epcot next May.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom