Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2019 Earnings Webcast

Mouse Trap

You said the haters would implode. I'm not sure why, they didn't question if this would be successful unless I completely missed it. They have attacked his park strategy, and his run with Star Wars, but I don't remember any saying this wouldn't be a success and a big one for Disney.

The haters will implode because this will solidify Bob Iger as undoubtedly one of the greatest CEOs of all time and perhaps the greatest Disney CEO since Walt himself in the eyes of business leaders everywhere.

LSLS

The haters will implode because this will solidify Bob Iger as undoubtedly one of the greatest CEOs of all time and perhaps the greatest Disney CEO since Walt himself in the eyes of business leaders everywhere.

I doubt that. If you want a pure business perspective, stocks saw higher increases per year under Eisner. I'm no business expert, but I dont think you can say undoubtedly in that situation.

But, again, the haters dont deny he is making money in the short term. They hate how he is operating the parks, and they question what he is doing with the company for the long term (at least that's me, who I'm assuming would be labeled a hater). I will fully admit I've been pleasantly surprised by how relatively smoothly disney plus rolled out, and how much content there actually is. And if my top priority was how much profit he makes for the next year or so, I'd be happy with him. It doesnt mean I need to love him on a fan forum about the parks. I'm certainly not imploding about disney plus exceeding expectations. I'm actually enjoying watching the old school x-men and spiderman cartoons from my youth.

eliza61nyc

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a serious warning on the impact on HKDL if the Hong Kong political fiasco does not improve. If cutbacks are going to happen then it looks like parks and resorts will be impacted.

I wonder how that will effect domestic parks considering Christine mentioned in the transcripts that operating income here was up 17% . now it does say it was driven by consumer spending. does that mean just trinkets and dodads. Also mentioned increase in DVC. anyone know if this is from Rivera sales?? does mention guest spending is up 5% per capita.

I agree unfortunately I think HKDL will be in for a long struggle. I can't say I've followed the political issues between HK and China but from what I've seen it is only getting more violent.

I do feel bad that the questions were all based around the media divison and the launch of Disney +. not totally unexpected since they were all fielded from financial institutions.

eliza61nyc

I doubt that. If you want a pure business perspective, stocks saw higher increases per year under Eisner. I'm no business expert, but I dont think you can say undoubtedly in that situation.

But, again, the haters don't deny he is making money in the short term. They hate how he is operating the parks, and they question what he is doing with the company for the long term (at least that's me, who I'm assuming would be labeled a hater). I will fully admit I've been pleasantly surprised by how relatively smoothly disney plus rolled out, and how much content there actually is. And if my top priority was how much profit he makes for the next year or so, I'd be happy with him. It doesn't mean I need to love him on a fan forum about the parks. I'm certainly not imploding about disney plus exceeding expectations. I'm actually enjoying watching the old school x-men and spiderman cartoons from my youth.

they question how he is doing from a parks perspective. Long term from what I can see he is rock solid business wise. If you read the transcript that @MisterPenguin linked you will see the parks pretty much got about 30secs of attention. so the mantra that they cannot sustain what they are doing for the long term is pretty much fruitless. he's set up the company to do very well long term. Now of course one has to define what they feel "long term" is. 50 years from now?? who knows. 10 years from now?? I'm going with they are going to do pretty good.

I think it's a very predictable divide. If you are simply a fan of the parks especially if you're a fan of the old style parks, Iger is not your guy. no matter how the company does, you (generally use of the word, not you personally) are not going to give the guy any credit.

If the parks are just a place you go on vacation like any other place and you take a broader view of the company or have invested in it. then Iger is not the antichrist.

lol, my crystal ball has been known to be waay wrong though.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

But, again, the haters dont deny he is making money in the short term. They hate how he is operating the parks, and they question what he is doing with the company for the long term (at least that's me, who I'm assuming would be labeled a hater). I will fully admit I've been pleasantly surprised by how relatively smoothly disney plus rolled out, and how much content there actually is. And if my top priority was how much profit he makes for the next year or so, I'd be happy with him. It doesnt mean I need to love him on a fan forum about the parks. I'm certainly not imploding about disney plus exceeding expectations. I'm actually enjoying watching the old school x-men and spiderman cartoons from my youth.

That's not a "pure business perspective” at all lol, just a stock pickers perspective. The company was drastically in different in size when Eisner took over vs Iger. You can't compare stock gains because in 1984 Disney was merely a 2Bish market cap company vs a 50Bish market cap when Iger took over.

If we want to use your metrics then Eisner added about 48B in value to the company during his tenure vs the 200B in value Iger added in his tenure.

Iger handily wins over Eisner no matter what sort of (apples:apples) comparison you draw. Iger has much more respect in the business community now vs when Eisner left the company. It's not even close to be honest and its unfortunate for Eisner who did do a lot of good, but his dismal end overshadows so much.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

they question how he is doing from a parks perspective. Long term from what I can see he is rock solid business wise. If you read the transcript that @MisterPenguin linked you will see the parks pretty much got about 30secs of attention. so the mantra that they cannot sustain what they are doing for the long term is pretty much fruitless. he's set up the company to do very well long term. Now of course one has to define what they feel "long term" is. 50 years from now?? who knows. 10 years from now?? I'm going with they are going to do pretty good.

I think it's a very predictable divide. If you are simply a fan of the parks especially if you're a fan of the old style parks, Iger is not your guy. no matter how the company does, you (generally use of the word, not you personally) are not going to give the guy any credit.

If the parks are just a place you go on vacation like any other place and you take a broader view of the company or have invested in it. then Iger is not the antichrist.

lol, my crystal ball has been known to be waay wrong though.

And Disney fans won't be getting a "Parks guy" in charge anytime soon. Chapek has proved he can't do it and Kevin Mayer is 100% a media/entertainment play.

I personally prefer Disney going with the media/entertainment leaders instead of a parks leader in the CEO role anyways.

Chef Mickey

1 & 2: I will break it down for you. If I have 100 hotel rooms and I sell 85 of them I have achieved 85% occupancy. If I have 90 rooms and I sell 81 of them I have 90% occupancy. In reality I have sold a few less rooms, but my occupancy rate increased 5%. That is easily achieved by closing off large sections of rooms for refurbishment. Yes, soft finishes can be done somewhat quickly, but refurbishments take many months and even years (hard finish refurbs).

3. I had combined points together and removed 3. Forgot to change 4 to 3. Mistake owned.

4. Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. If you are going to come hard at someone, know what you are saying is based on something other than your uninformed opinion.

Now if you pay attention and read the rest you may learn something that will help you save money. Why would I share with you despite your rude and pitiable hubris? Because I'm not a jerk and believe people deserve a pass every once in a while and a second chance.

There are plenty of web sites that offer discounted DVC rooms both confirmed reservations and discounted points. Maybe do a Google search...it's literally that common. You will see pages of sites offering DVC rooms.

I have stayed at numerous DVC rooms throughout the years as have many other forum members. This past year I stayed in a Treehouse for $312. I've stayed at a Polynesian studio twice for $226 and $182 respectively. Here is a screenshot of some of the offers I mentioned earlier to show they are from a real company. It's up to you to search and see which one as I do not promote any one over another:

View attachment 423978

View attachment 423979
View attachment 423980
Are you seriously trying to argue Disney Parks aren’t doing well? I mean high level, what is your point here?

I’ve read through some of it and it seems like a huge reach with most of your points. People cancel rooms and stay in Disney resorts without going to the parks? Source? Data?

Look at the operating profit at Disney Parks for the last 40 quarters. It’s up literally almost every single one.

Look at the stock. Your assessment is wrong.

Parks have been a huge bright spot it what has been a difficult several years for media networks. Disney+ has been a driver lately, but parks certainly don’t have a spending or attendance problem. The results just don’t support that narrative.

VaderTron

Are you seriously trying to argue Disney Parks aren’t doing well? I mean high level, what is your point here?

I’ve read through some of it and it seems like a huge reach with most of your points. People cancel rooms and stay in Disney resorts without going to the parks? Source? Data?

Look at the operating profit at Disney Parks for the last 40 quarters. It’s up literally almost every single one.

Look at the stock. Your assessment is wrong.

Parks have been a huge bright spot it what has been a difficult several years for media networks. Disney+ has been a driver lately, but parks certainly don’t have a spending or attendance problem. The results just don’t support that narrative.
Yet another stock-minded comment. Everything is not about money. My comments were clear. The argument was that numbers can and are being highlighted in a way to please stockholders. There is no huge surge in interest in the parks. Increased revenue had been driven by price increases across the board. That is not a sustainable way to maintain the parks. If the parks conditions which include half working animatronics/effects on rides, aged out monorails with no replacements plans, peeling paint and more trash spotted around the parks is the way things look when they are "making record profits", what will it look like when this unsustainable run of price hikes reaches its limits? Do you think that the parks will get better? What will happen is horrifying to imagine. Deeper cuts across the board to limit operational costs.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yet another stock-minded comment. Everything is not about money. My comments were clear. The argument was that numbers can and are being highlighted in a way to please stockholders. There is no huge surge in interest in the parks. Increased revenue had been driven by price increases across the board. That is not a sustainable way to maintain the parks. If the parks conditions which include half working animatronics/effects on rides, aged out monorails with no replacements plans, peeling paint and more trash spotted around the parks is the way things look when they are "making record profits", what will it look like when this unsustainable run of price hikes reaches its limits? Do you think that the parks will get better? What will happen is horrifying to imagine. Deeper cuts across the board to limit operational costs.

Number of people attending keeps going up. That's a fact.

You are just plain wrong.

As usual.

eliza61nyc

l have to disagree with you here Vader, sorry but every thing IS about money. Now everyone keeps mentioning these "unsustainable" price hikes. exactly when is that going to happen? Do you know how long this has been said? I remember when the admission prices hit 100 bucks a day and everyone had a freaky deaky melt down. folks swore that was the end and yet.....

Let's say I agree with your premise that the numbers are being manipulated to keep the natives happy, You know what numbers stockholders really like? the price of the stock.

I will agree there might not have been a huge surge in interest in the parks but neither has there been a huge decline and according to the above link, consumer spending in the parks has increase which says at least to me that folks are still kicking out cash.

lastly, Disney is not a static entity. like any other corporation if things hit the proverbial fan they will make changes but why change a winning formula

eliza61nyc

Doesn't pleasing guests enter into the equation?

Absolutely. so first we have to determine if there is a large population of unhappy guest. Now IMO folks here are not the "average" guest. my sampling pool is small but I've yet to hear anyone in the real world complain that the new crepateria does not look like it belongs in Paris because of the dormers.
The complaints here are from a very select entity. Just going from what MP linked consumer spending is up. Now what we don't know is that from prices going up or from people purchasing things. If you went from the sentiments here, every thing is "crap" in the parks. that's not necessarily the overall feeling.

As much as we complain about the after parties people like them. as much as we complain about the dessert parties, people like them. now folks here say consumers are "stupid"??? I don't believe that but stupid or not, they come.

I'm not saying there aren't problems but peoples perception is vastly different. I've yet to see this avalanche of over flowing trash cans.

at some point if there is a large population of unhappy vacationers to the world it will catch up to the parks. again, not sure how far folks are looking into the future but for the next few years?? I'd be surprised if they see a substantial decrease in attendance

PS. I am not a professional anything, don't even portray one in fantasy world, 🤪

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Absolutely. so first we have to determine if there is a large population of unhappy guest. Now IMO folks here are not the "average" guest. my sampling pool is small but I've yet to hear anyone in the real world complain that the new crepateria does not look like it belongs in Paris because of the dormers.
The complaints here are from a very select entity. Just going from what MP linked consumer spending is up. Now what we don't know is that from prices going up or from people purchasing things. If you went from the sentiments here, every thing is "crap" in the parks. that's not necessarily the overall feeling.

As much as we complain about the after parties people like them. as much as we complain about the dessert parties, people like them. now folks here say consumers are "stupid"??? I don't believe that but stupid or not, they come.

I'm not saying there aren't problems but peoples perception is vastly different. I've yet to see this avalanche of over flowing trash cans.

at some point if there is a large population of unhappy vacationers to the world it will catch up to the parks. again, not sure how far folks are looking into the future but for the next few years?? I'd be surprised if they see a substantial decrease in attendance

PS. I am not a professional anything, don't even portray one in fantasy world, 🤪

Indeed, without diminishing valid critiques, the number of guests keep increasing at the same time they're willing to pay more for the gate, room, food, and merch. So, that's a sign of approval, is it not, without painting the average guest (or all those Passholders) as some dumb rube?

Disney does do evaluation polls of their customers. And as much as some want to say they're a conspiracy in which Disney spends millions of dollars on the polls and poll-takers and analysts simply to get the answers they already want; our trusted insiders say these polls do have an effect. That's why Stitch is sitting empty. That's why the holiday parties got new fireworks. Iger was just bragging about the high scores of MFSR and SWL on the quarterly call.

I have my own list of critiques, but I still go, because the good outweighs the bad.

IOW, the idea that guests in general are unhappy has no data to support that. If they are unhappy, they're showing up in droves and paying more and more just to be unhappy.

Lilofan

Indeed, without diminishing valid critiques, the number of guests keep increasing at the same time they're willing to pay more for the gate, room, food, and merch. So, that's a sign of approval, is it not, without painting the average guest (or all those Passholders) as some dumb rube?

Disney does do evaluation polls of their customers. And as much as some want to say they're a conspiracy in which Disney spends millions of dollars on the polls and poll-takers and analysts simply to get the answers they already want; our trusted insiders say these polls do have an effect. That's why Stitch is sitting empty. That's why the holiday parties got new fireworks. Iger was just bragging about the high scores of MFSR and SWL on the quarterly call.

I have my own list of critiques, but I still go, because the good outweighs the bad.

IOW, the idea that guests in general are unhappy has no data to support that. If they are unhappy, they're showing up in droves and paying more and more just to be unhappy.
In my times at the park, I have seen staff selectively pick happy go lucky families to take their polls. If some guests are slovenly dressed or drunk I do not see them being asked to take the polls by park staff. I think polls should be taken by 5 year olds in the park. All of their replies would be "EXCELLENT!!" .

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
In my times at the park, I have seen staff selectively pick happy go lucky families to take their polls. If some guests are slovenly dressed or drunk I do not see them being asked to take the polls by park staff. I think polls should be taken by 5 year olds in the park. All of their replies would be "EXCELLENT!!" .

I wonder if the online polls they email out selectively choose happy-seeming internet denizens.

Minnesota disney fan

I wonder if the online polls they email out selectively choose happy-seeming internet denizens.
The polls that I have gotten from Disney had leading questions and the answers were not representative of all the choices available. The answers guided you into one way that Disney wants, IMO. I didn't answer the questions they wanted, so I had a poll cancelled by Disney. I wasn't the demographic they were looking for to drink the koolaid, apparently.

peter11435

The polls that I have gotten from Disney had leading questions and the answers were not representative of all the choices available. The answers guided you into one way that Disney wants, IMO. I didn't answer the questions they wanted, so I had a poll cancelled by Disney. I wasn't the demographic they were looking for to drink the koolaid, apparently.
I’ve never seen a disney survey that didn’t include positive and negative responses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom