News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Disone

Typical Disney defender. The waits at the bus stops were the longest on property simply because one bus stop served 2880 rooms. At the any of the All-Star resorts you have the same size bus stop but it only serves 1920 rooms. The Pop Century Resort has 50% more rooms than any of the single All-Stars Resorts but they both have the same bus stop arrangement. And I suppose I need to remind you that the All-Stars also have direct service to the resorts during the morning rush when it is needed. The entire concept of Pop Century was low cost with the idea to cram as many people as possible in the smallest space, and they succeeded. It's a 4 story low budget ghetto.

One of the reasons for the Skyliner was to alleviate the long lines and long waits at the Pop Century bus stops. And it has worked! For a paltry extra $38.00 per night the bus service now works with the advent of the Skyliner.

And the Murphy bed is very ingenious. It's a great way to cram more people into a smaller space.
My goodness.... You really hate it huh? Wow.

Okay we get it, you don't like it.

There were some valid critics you had but calling Pop ghetto...come on man. You lose the argument just because it's an over the top exaggeration.

For the record I agree about the transportation struggle that is the Pop Century Resort. But I also agree the Murphy Beds were a good move. They did not increase the occupancy of an individual pop room. They did allow the occupants of those rooms to have more floor space when they're not sleeping. In that respect they are a very nice upgrade versus what they had before.

Goofyernmost

Typical Disney defender. The waits at the bus stops were the longest on property simply because one bus stop served 2880 rooms. At the any of the All-Star resorts you have the same size bus stop but it only serves 1920 rooms. The Pop Century Resort has 50% more rooms than any of the single All-Stars Resorts but they both have the same bus stop arrangement. And I suppose I need to remind you that the All-Stars also have direct service to the resorts during the morning rush when it is needed. The entire concept of Pop Century was low cost with the idea to cram as many people as possible in the smallest space, and they succeeded. It's a 4 story low budget ghetto.

One of the reasons for the Skyliner was to alleviate the long lines and long waits at the Pop Century bus stops. And it has worked! For a paltry extra $38.00 per night the bus service now works with the advent of the Skyliner.

And the Murphy bed is very ingenious. It's a great way to cram more people into a smaller space.
Fantastic speech, however people don't ride on bus stops, it's the number of buses available, the traffic at a specific time and the speed that riders board and disembark basically determine how "accurate" the times scheduled are able to be followed. That is exactly why the Skyliner was added. It isn't coincidental, it is what was planned. Even if they added more buses that would only create slower transports to the parks, etc.

To my recollection POP has relatively small rooms. When I was there last there were two double sized beds and frankly it was very tight and confining. I'm sure that all the upgrades in the world are not going to make the physical rooms any larger. A Murphy bed would seem like a creative and logical help to relieve that situation.

What I find more amazing is why you are on a Disney discussion board. I do not recall you ever posting something positive except in a negative way. Are you on Universals payroll by any chance?

Last edited:

Texas84

I thought Pop was nice on my last visit but the staff was incompetent and had a bad attitude. They messed up my credit card and demanded I go to the front desk immediately to fix it. The woman on the phone was very rude. Then housekeeping was bugging me to get out one hour before checkout.

nickys

Premium Member
I thought Pop was nice on my last visit but the staff was incompetent and had a bad attitude. They messed up my credit card and demanded I go to the front desk immediately to fix it. The woman on the phone was very rude. Then housekeeping was bugging me to get out one hour before checkout.

Who did you phone? If you tried phoning from your room, that wasn’t the front desk you were talking to - it was a call centre. So advising you to go to the front desk was actually the only thing she could do.

Phil12

The last refuge of a typical Disney hater.
Actually, just the opposite. However I know many of the flaws in the Disney "system" and how to avoid, minimize or ameliorate said flaws. As a result I can visit WDW and avoid the crush periods and find high quality accommodations at a low price. I'm also able to navigate WDW by knowing when to visit the various parks and the attractions within each. It makes for a very satisfying and worthwhile WDW experience. With some advance planning, experience and flexibility, long queues can be avoided and time maximized for the sake of enjoyment.

Phil12

Who did you phone? If you tried phoning from your room, that wasn’t the front desk you were talking to - it was a call centre. So advising you to go to the front desk was actually the only thing she could do.
Yes indeed you're right. They have that button on the phone that says, "Front Desk". So when a guest pushes that button the guest wrongly assumes that they are speaking to someone at the front desk of their resort. As you point out, the guest is really talking to someone at the call center. And if the guest goes down to the front desk, the CM's there will have no idea what you're talking about. If you arrive at the front desk and say, "I just got off the phone with John at the front desk and he told me to come down here to resolve the problem", they'll ask you to start from the beginning because they have absolutely no idea of your previous phone call (although they may "act" as if they do to keep the illusion alive).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, just the opposite. However I know many of the flaws in the Disney "system" and how to avoid, minimize or ameliorate said flaws. As a result I can visit WDW and avoid the crush periods and find high quality accommodations at a low price. I'm also able to navigate WDW by knowing when to visit the various parks and the attractions within each. It makes for a very satisfying and worthwhile WDW experience. With some advance planning, experience and flexibility, long queues can be avoided and time maximized for the sake of enjoyment.

Good for you!

Texas84

They left a nasty message. It was an extension.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Mickey Blog posted an article about the future of the system and references locations for future stations seen in "Skyliner Documents". This is not in any of the public documents I have seen. Does anyone know any more about this?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Mickey Blog posted an article about the future of the system and references locations for future stations seen in "Skyliner Documents". This is not in any of the public documents I have seen. Does anyone know any more about this?

Having read it ,it seems quite a logical scenario

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Nothing posted publicly, but there is speculation that master planning produced a resort-wide gondola system, which was then broken up into phases.

Grimley1968

The western side expansion sounds logical, and is pretty similar to what I've thought they might do.

However, I'm puzzled by the eastern expansion idea. The article states that it would connect Typhoon Lagoon with Disney Springs. Unless I'm reading it wrong, it mentioned no resorts on this line. I don't understand the logic of connecting a water park with their shopping area, with no resorts. If the plan is to connect this line as an addition and connection to the current system, that might make sense, but I'm having some trouble figuring out how it would connect without a massive expansion of at least one of the stations and possibly a lot more gondolas going over structures.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
The western side expansion sounds logical, and is pretty similar to what I've thought they might do.

However, I'm puzzled by the eastern expansion idea. The article states that it would connect Typhoon Lagoon with Disney Springs. Unless I'm reading it wrong, it mentioned no resorts on this line. I don't understand the logic of connecting a water park with their shopping area, with no resorts. If the plan is to connect this line as an addition and connection to the current system, that might make sense, but I'm having some trouble figuring out how it would connect without a massive expansion of at least one of the stations and possibly a lot more gondolas going over structures.
How about putting the HUB for the East at the huge section of trees off of North Cove Road (in Old Key West). You can have one line run from the hub SouthEast to the parking lot of Typhoon Lagoon; one line run NorthWest to the large group of trees accross the river and between Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter (building a bridge for the POFQ to crossover the Sasagola); and one line running from the Hub to the East which would service both Sarratoga Springs Congress Park section and Disney Springs, putting the spot either upon the pond Northeast of Congress Park or near by.)

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Forgive the very crude mark up, done on my phone, but here is the idea above put to a depiction.
F68FAE8B-3003-441D-B652-A691EA33F20A.jpeg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

I would have to think that line would also connect to the CBR hub. That would provide Skyliner transportation to Disney Springs for a large number of rooms since it would also be feasible to use it from the Epcot area resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom