Coco ride? (Image on new Imagineering Site)

Disneyson

Alright, folks, no need to attack each other’s self-worth based on opinions of a Pixar movie.

While the movie wasn’t a breakout, it was, for me, quite a good one and definitely not a Cars 3. Some other important things to note:

- The Latin American community really appreciates this film. It’s popularity with the local Latin American population in DCA is evident. It’s quite rare that Disney gets it nearly 100% right with cultural representation, and that bodes well for DCA as well as Epcot. California’s tapestry is interwoven with Latin American influences, and being literally IN Pixar Pier is a win-win.

-The film is also, strangely, quite popular in China! Adventure Isle in Shanghai Disneyland has been overlayed with a Coco theme for Halloween for several years and has run several weeks past the rest of the Halloween event as well. The possibility to insert this ride in Adventure Isle would be easy: the land is already a psuedo-Pandora heavily influenced by a mythical culture of spirit animals and guardians of the earth, sea, land, and air. Adventure Isle obviously has a strong connection with the spirit world. Sandwiching a mini-land between Treasure Cove and Adventure Isle would be an ideal spot for the attraction. Knowing Disney, it would be hard to pass up a triple-clone of an attraction.

Horizons1

"I don't like this movie, therefore it's impossible it could be popular and Disney should choose something else"
I never said that. But this is WDWMagic.com where if you say something someone doesn’t agree with your words will be twisted and the sheep herd will come to play.

I can do that too. “I didn’t take the time to understand someone’s point of view and how they expressed it so I’m going to try and shove words down their throat.”

That’s not fun at all. No idea why you people do it.

But here’s the beauty of an online discussion forum. I may not be aware of how popular the film is or was. I politely asked if it was that popular. Then someone comes along and goes “The film was actually very popular/wasn’t popular because...”. See, in a discussion forum you discuss ideas, opinions, facts, whatever. You remain civil and have a conversation. There is no need to attack anyone. And when someone has a different idea or feelings then you do, there is no need to attack or be crass. Either politely counter, correct, share, or say nothing at all. Its all about the love, man.

Last edited:

Horizons1

Having a personal opinion does't affect actual reality, in which coco was not just here and gone!
This is in no way about my personal opinion. I’m not saying I didn’t like Coco so it shouldn’t have a ride, and I actually did enjoy the film. I’m simply stating that Coco does not appear to have the lasting appeal on the public that Pixar films such as Toy Story and Cars do. So me asking aloud in a forum if it really was all that popular doesn’t seem that wild of an idea.

Timothy_Q

Anyway.

Yes, Coco was a popular movie

Especially in the west coast, if the ride does indeed go to DCA.
Coco's popularity at the Disneyland Resort is something no other non-princess movie has come close to in the last decade

A movie that celebrates an entire culture and seasonal holiday has a built-in long-lasting appeal (especially in socal)

Horizons1

Anyway.

Yes, Coco was a popular movie

Especially in the west coast, if the ride does indeed go to DCA.
Coco's popularity at the Disneyland Resort is something no other non-princess movie has come close to in the last decade

A movie that celebrates an entire culture and seasonal holiday has a built-in long-lasting appeal (especially in socal)
Was that so hard, Tim? I love you, bro.

Bocabear

This is in no way about my personal opinion. I’m not saying I didn’t like Coco so it shouldn’t have a ride, and I actually did enjoy the film. I’m simply stating that Coco does not appear to have the lasting appeal on the public that Pixar films such as Toy Story and Cars do. So me asking aloud in a forum if it really was all that popular doesn’t seem that wild of an idea.
but haven't you noticed a film's staying power has more to do with how much marketing money is thrown at it? Seems like Coco did not get the Toy Story or Frozen treatment... I think they very much control how much a film stays in our consciousness...

Horizons1

but haven't you noticed a film's staying power has more to do with how much marketing money is thrown at it? Seems like Coco did not get the Toy Story or Frozen treatment... I think they very much control how much a film stays in our consciousness...
I have. And Coco seems to be like Brave. Yes, people liked it, but the overall appeal just didn’t seem to have a powerful impact.

Cmdr_Crimson

A good example as It reminds me of when The Good Dinosaur came out. Many (like myself) would have thought even if it was just Pixar it would land somewhere in the parks petricularly in AK. Then the merch came out, the Movie tanked, and now there is nothing about it anywhere not even a cabin of Arlo & Spot on the Pixar Pal-a-Round...This shows how it didn't go so well for a Pixar film..

General Mayhem

Look at Galaxy's Edge, the epicenter of American culture is sure to be a smashing success, right?
Almost every single part of this question is political, debatable, and questionable. "Success" is not a word I associate with Galaxy's Edge in the slightest. Also modern Star Wars is not the epicenter of American culture, if it is then this country will die like those 46,000 rebels in the Last Jedi that no one seems to care about.
tenor (6).gif

Slov72

As the parent of a 2 year old and uncle of 8 kids between 1 and 9, I can say that they all love coco and several have gone through stages where they watched Coco multiple times daily to the chagrin of their parents, due to repetition (all adults enjoy the film itself). It still is viewed fairly commonly among this group. My family is spread out in the East and is not hispanic. I know it doesn't necessarily correlate to a wider group but there may be some "hidden" popularity. By the way the group of 8 has only one girl.

tribbleorlfl

While the movie wasn’t a breakout, it was, for me, quite a good one and definitely not a Cars 3. Some other important things to note:
I still don't understand why Coco's box-office is in question. #11 2017 worldwide, #13 2017 domestic. If you excluded all of the sequels, remakes and existing IP's in front of it, it was the #1 original film at the box office that year. #5 Thanksgiving weekend all-time. It is the #3 non-sequel Pixar film. It added another $75 million in home video sales and I'm sure streaming results are also quite strong.

General Mayhem

I still don't understand why Coco's box-office is in question. #11 2017 worldwide, #13 2017 domestic. If you excluded all of the sequels, remakes and existing IP's in front of it, it was the #1 original film at the box office that year. #5 Thanksgiving weekend all-time. It is the #3 non-sequel Pixar film. It added another $75 million in home video sales and I'm sure streaming results are also quite strong.
Bob Iger only likes the films that break the box office. He's a lot like Jeffrey Katzenberg he doesn't want to win the Oscars, he wants to win the Bank of America awards. If it doesn't do that you just get some themed restrooms or something...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

It took years for Frozen to get a ride. Until it did, there were temporary shows wedged in all over the place for it.

Each year that goes by, Coco's presence become more pronounced in the parks. Which means money is being budgeted for it rather intentionally each year. That's the best indicator that regardless of what individuals might think, Disney thinks it's worth investing in. And one can be sure they did the market research to justify it.

Tiana seems to be on the same trajectory. She may not get her own ride, but her presence becomes more and more noticeable (dedicated M&G, featured in the new DVC, featured in HEA, her restaurant on the cruise ship, etc...).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom