News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

mickEblu

I've been following the news on Hong Kong closely. It appears that it's going to get worse for the city of Hong Kong before it gets better. Perhaps much worse, like Tiananmen Square 1989 worse. :oops:

Hong Kong Disneyland has already had huge impacts to its attendance and spending as tourism to Hong Kong has collapsed this fall. Both sides are digging in, and I don't see the Communist Politburo in Beijing giving up anytime soon. Hong Kong Disneyland is just one of many casualties in the Hong Kong situation, but again, it's going to get worse before it gets better. This could take a few years.

Hmmmm, so I wonder what kind of deals I can get on a nice Hong Kong Disneyland vacation package?

Travel Junkie

I've been following the news on Hong Kong closely. It appears that it's going to get worse for the city of Hong Kong before it gets better. Perhaps much worse, like Tiananmen Square 1989 worse. :oops:

Hong Kong Disneyland has already had huge impacts to its attendance and spending as tourism to Hong Kong has collapsed this fall. Both sides are digging in, and I don't see the Communist Politburo in Beijing giving up anytime soon. Hong Kong Disneyland is just one of many casualties in the Hong Kong situation, but again, it's going to get worse before it gets better. This could take a few years.

I'm afraid that is the case. The handover agreement expiring in 2047 is the ominous cloud that hangs over all of this.

It's a shame because Hong Kong is an amazing place.

Hmmmm, so I wonder what kind of deals I can get on a nice Hong Kong Disneyland vacation package?

I'm not a vacation package person, but I've seen round trip flights for as low as $329 from LA to HK. That is extremely low.

TP2000

I'm afraid that is the case. The handover agreement expiring in 2047 is the ominous cloud that hangs over all of this.

2047 is of little concern to anyone battling the Communists in 2019, that is the distant future.

November 24th, 2019 (less than two weeks from now) is the date of the next Hong Kong civic elections. That will be key. 2020 will be a decisive year, and I'd bet you two churros that we'll see People's Liberation Army tanks and guns rolling through the streets of Hong Kong sometime in 2020. Perhaps as soon as Christmas 2019.

2047 is the distant future. The situation in Hong Kong is spiraling out of control now in November, 2019, towards a likely deadly and horrific response from the Chinese Communists sometime next year.

Hong Kong Disneyland will be challenged to remain in operation at times in 2020, if it continues the way it is going.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I'm not a vacation package person, but I've seen round trip flights for as low as $329 from LA to HK. That is extremely low.

Might have to hop on a flight to Hong Kong with a layover in Shangai and knock out the Chinese parks

Phroobar

Might have to hop on a flight to Hong Kong with a layover in Shanghai and knock out the Chinese parks
Unfortunately, you have to transfer to into this plane with a cargo of live poultry...

latest

hqdefault.jpg

Travel Junkie

2047 is of little concern to anyone battling the Communists in 2019, that is the distant future.

November 24th, 2019 (less than two weeks from now) is the date of the next Hong Kong civic elections. That will be key. 2020 will be a decisive year, and I'd bet you two churros that we'll see People's Liberation Army tanks and guns rolling through the streets of Hong Kong sometime in 2020. Perhaps as soon as Christmas 2019.

2047 is the distant future. The situation in Hong Kong is spiraling out of control now in November, 2019, towards a likely deadly and horrific response from the Chinese Communists sometime next year.

Hong Kong Disneyland will be challenged to remain in operation at times in 2020, if it continues the way it is going.

2047 is of big concern to those protesting.

I lived in China for a time and go back often. I have many friends and acquaintances on both sides of this. If the handover agreement was in perpetuity instead of 50 years, the protests would have subsided by now. Protesters got what they originally wanted. They want more and using this as a springboard to what they hope is full independence from Beijing. China will not let that happen and they will respond, likely not in a good way as you describe.

DanielBB8

American companies should pull most operations out of China. Disney should cut their losses and shut down Hong Kong Disneyland. Shanghai Disneyland could survive, but not expand any further. Universal Beijing should not be built. China's policies are making the situation worse for Hong Kong residents. They shouldn't worsen the situation there, but they intend to inflict maximum pain. The Chinese government want confrontation like they did so easily with the NBA to get the NBA to back down. Some people won't back down so easily.

Mac Tonight

American companies should pull most operations out of China. Disney should cut their losses and shut down Hong Kong Disneyland. Shanghai Disneyland could survive, but not expand any further. Universal Beijing should not be built. China's policies are making the situation worse for Hong Kong residents. They shouldn't worsen the situation there, but they intend to inflict maximum pain. The Chinese government want confrontation like they did so easily with the NBA to get the NBA to back down. Some people won't back down so easily.
There's a whole political sub-forum for this type of discussion.
Kindly take your thoughts there. This has nothing to do with Star Wars.

MoonRakerSCM

FYI for anyone interested... the unofficial LIFE DAY shenanigans are supposed to take place starting ~3:30p at the X-wing on Sunday... with photos and LIFE DAY CAROLS and then supposedly a LIFE DAY ORB PROCESSION to the Millenium Falcon at 5:00p. After this more photos and even MORE CAROLS...

I personally will be showing up to... observe... and watch. I thought I was hardcore into the Holiday Special... and then I found these people and realized I am but an amateur. I may have some tongue in cheek life day decorations that sit around the house during the holidays... but thee people have been arguing over the authenticity of varous home made life day orbs and have presented cost analyses for making your own orb etc...

Needless to say... if you want to be in the LIFE DAY SPIRIT on Sunday at Star Wars Land... wear something red.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
FYI for anyone interested... the unofficial LIFE DAY shenanigans are supposed to take place starting ~3:30p at the X-wing on Sunday... with photos and LIFE DAY CAROLS and then supposedly a LIFE DAY ORB PROCESSION to the Millenium Falcon at 5:00p. After this more photos and even MORE CAROLS...

I personally will be showing up to... observe... and watch. I thought I was hardcore into the Holiday Special... and then I found these people and realized I am but an amateur. I may have some tongue in cheek life day decorations that sit around the house during the holidays... but thee people have been arguing over the authenticity of varous home made life day orbs and have presented cost analyses for making your own orb etc...

Needless to say... if you want to be in the LIFE DAY SPIRIT on Sunday at Star Wars Land... wear something red.

Or, like some of the original actors in the first special, be high as a kite.

Disney Analyst

Well, it’s a winner.

“Disneyland’s Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run also won in the attractions category, as well as for its Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, recognized for outstanding achievement as a new theme park land. The Disneyland edition debuted in May, followed by a near-clone of the land (as well as the Smugglers Run ride) at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park in August.

The results, determined by the Theme Entertainment Association, were made public on the floor of the IAAPA Expo at the Orange County Convention Center. The event, put on by Orlando-based International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, runs through Friday.”

TROR

Well, it’s a winner.

“Disneyland’s Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run also won in the attractions category, as well as for its Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, recognized for outstanding achievement as a new theme park land. The Disneyland edition debuted in May, followed by a near-clone of the land (as well as the Smugglers Run ride) at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park in August.

The results, determined by the Theme Entertainment Association, were made public on the floor of the IAAPA Expo at the Orange County Convention Center. The event, put on by Orlando-based International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, runs through Friday.”

Means nothing. This is an "Everybody's a winner" competition.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
THEA awards dilute themselves by giving out an award to just about every big, new thing.

And if you think about, it, they kinda have to. For example, if they have a category: Best New "Land", then there might be a year in which there's only one new completed land. Does it get the award by default even though it's not very spectacular? And then if the next year, two very spectacular lands open, do you snub one when in the previous year, a sub-par land got an award because it was the only one?

In the end, their awards aren't really about the one singular thing that was the absolute best, but just "here's some good new stuff we want to applaud."

Stripes

THEA awards dilute themselves by giving out an award to just about every big, new thing.

And if you think about, it, they kinda have to. For example, if they have a category: Best New "Land", then there might be a year in which there's only one new completed land. Does it get the award by default even though it's not very spectacular? And then if the next year, two very spectacular lands open, do you snub one when in the previous year, a sub-par land got an award because it was the only one?

In the end, their awards aren't really about the one singular thing that was the absolute best, but just "here's some good new stuff we want to applaud."
The only thing I care about are the credit lists published for the people that worked on the projects that received awards, so in a way I'm glad everyone gets an award because then I get to see the names of everyone that worked on those projects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom