Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

Jones14

Yeah, with regard to its presence in media, I don’t think we’re really considering the long term here. Since the land was revealed it’s been referenced in a movie, as well as had two books and several comics take place on it, and that’s only four years since the place was even announced.

If they determine guests want the land to become more familiar to them before they get there, they can set a new show or movie on it, and that’s assuming that it doesn’t show up in the Mandalorian, the next season of Clone Wars, or Rise of Skywalker. Coruscant was invented for the Thrawn Trilogy long before it popped up in the movies, after all.

Texas84

It’s a ride with interactive options. I’ve yet to have a bad experience on it. Not even close. Certainly no one screaming at anybody or adults feeling guilty. That’s pretty silly. A few times the people picked as pilots felt a little intimidated but after the ride gets going it’s all fun. A little support and encouragement goes a long way.
One of our first time pilots actually apologized to the entire crew in the back and I told her you both did great, we got two containers. She said "you're just trying to make me feel better" and we had a really good score. So some do take this a bit too seriously. But I think she had fun.

MickeyLuv'r

Yeah, with regard to its presence in media, I don’t think we’re really considering the long term here. Since the land was revealed it’s been referenced in a movie, as well as had two books and several comics take place on it, and that’s only four years since the place was even announced.

This approach could have worked, and maybe it does for some folks...

If the Disney team didn't want to choose a familiar land though, then at least, GE should have tapped into the central theme/conflict of SW: good vs. evil.

A little bit, I hoped the MF mission would have been some victory over evil. Something that made me feel like I was part of the Resistance perhaps.

(I almost wonder if they wouldn't have been better off creating a SW version of the classic sailboat ride. Maybe themed to pod racers. Where the focus is just on how it feels to fly, but we rely a little on our imagination to think about where we're going.)

Part of where I find the ride lacking is where the ride takes us. Neither the destinations nor the mission are all that exciting.

The main choice riders initially get to make is to not crash into stuff.

If we were really flying the MF, we'd get to choose our destination, wouldn't we? Either that or we'd race, or rescue, or stop evil, or we'd at least outrun the bad guys, but gathering cargo? Eh. Not the most exciting mission.

To be great, the MF has to tap into something familiar, and something we care about. We automatically care about defeating Zurg, even if we've never seen Planet Z before.

If the mission of the ride is to shoot stuff, then riders should get more control of what, when and how they shoot stuff. On the MF, we just push a button. It isn't all that exciting if we can't aim.

Engineer, also could have been more exciting if it involved some kind of problem solving. On MF, the engineer task is just to push a button. It would be so much more fun if the engineer's role included even a tiny bit of choice..."Do we fix the engine or the stabilizer?"

If they didn't want to choose an exciting mission, then they probably should have tapped into a more familiar destination. A good ride has one or the other: something familiar or something compelling.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

pretty sure it'll come up again and be in one of the upcoming series and/or tros. black spire that is. it's 3 seconds of recognition in Solo isn't enough for relevance.

Last edited:

po1998

After reading many reviews in this thread(lame interactive features, combined with guest not knowing what to do or old enough to do them), I wonder if way down the road when Star Tours closes, does this get reimagined to be more of your typical screen based simulator without all the interactivity...or at the very least minimize the interactivity?

I know I shouldn't judge without going on it, but this seems like something that you can spend an hour or more in line for, only to have the experience ruined by the others riding with you.

Mickeyboof

After reading many reviews in this thread(lame interactive features, combined with guest not knowing what to do or old enough to do them), I wonder if way down the road when Star Tours closes, does this get reimagined to be more of your typical screen based simulator without all the interactivity...or at the very least minimize the interactivity?

I know I shouldn't judge without going on it, but this seems like something that you can spend an hour or more in line for, only to have the experience ruined by the others riding with you.

Falcon would be really lame if it wasn’t interactive ONLY because the range of motion the vehicle has is quite limited. It would be a very very mild simulator, unless it has more power than is being employed currently. Pressing the buttons and flying it creates a sort of chaos that does elevate the sensation of motion and flight, but it’s a fraction of the motion of Star Tours.

ThistleMae

In Disneyland today. Rode Smugglers for the first time. The ride cue is confusing, they funnel you into a long skyway, then into a large room where people are handed a colored card and no one tells you what to do or what to expect. Then you quickly figure out they are calling your color card, which also has your position on it. Then they tell you where to go and where to stand. But for someone whose never been on, CM's are standing around not giving you any instruction. The ride itself was pretty cool. I was a pilot. The pilot on the right controls up and down, the pilot on the left controls left and right, so you have to work together. We had no engineers. What your supposed to be doing is confusing, as the ride is very fast and you really don't have time to figure out your mission, your just trying to avoid crashing into stuff. We had two gunners behind us and they were shooting, but they too found they weren't really sure what they were gunning for. In the end, we got a 28 percent showing, which we didn't know exactly what that meant. We definitely want to ride again, so it will be clearer what we were trying to do. Liked the ride way more than Star Tours, which just gives me motion sickness.

Tom Morrow

In Disneyland today. Rode Smugglers for the first time. The ride cue is confusing, they funnel you into a long skyway, then into a large room where people are handed a colored card and no one tells you what to do or what to expect. Then you quickly figure out they are calling your color card, which also has your position on it. Then they tell you where to go and where to stand. But for someone whose never been on, CM's are standing around not giving you any instruction. The ride itself was pretty cool. I was a pilot. The pilot on the right controls up and down, the pilot on the left controls left and right, so you have to work together. We had no engineers. What your supposed to be doing is confusing, as the ride is very fast and you really don't have time to figure out your mission, your just trying to avoid crashing into stuff. We had two gunners behind us and they were shooting, but they too found they weren't really sure what they were gunning for. In the end, we got a 28 percent showing, which we didn't know exactly what that meant. We definitely want to ride again, so it will be clearer what we were trying to do. Liked the ride way more than Star Tours, which just gives me motion sickness.
I haven't had this experience with CM's not telling you what's going on at WDW.

Also my take on the ride is it's supposed to be all about throwing people into the cockpit with very little instruction so everyone can laugh as they crash into stuff. It's not really supposed to be about doing well.

Communicora

Premium Member
My Disneyland experience was similar to the one posted just above. They don’t really explain what the cards and roles are and you are put into the Falcon with little chance to look around and experience it. I didn’t even get to sit at the chess table.

Even the CMs seemed a bit confused. I think they grouped six gunners into the crew for our ride. Then they hustled us into our seats. Luckily, I noticed I could turn on auto aim so I was able to just press a button while still looking at the screen, but not letting down the rest of the people on the ride.

There were a few slightly thrilling moments, but it was otherwise underwhelming. I honestly went into it wanting to like it and now I almost dread having to wait in line for it again when I return with my sister this winter. Maybe I’ll get to pilot and it will be more fun. (Insert shrug emoji)

We ended up riding Star Tours later that night. It is really strange that they chose such a similar experience for Smuggler’s Run. I’m not sure what they were thinking. It really drags down your impression of Galaxy’s Edge.

Last edited:

ppet

Just rode it last week at WDW, It was a blast! Did all of the crew functions on multiple rides, thank god for single rider lines. As for explanation the preshow and the video while waiting to enter the cockpit explained everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom