Rumor Coco attraction coming to DCA

NateD1226

Original Poster
On the WDW side of the forums there is a new rumor that Coco is coming over to DCA/DLR in several years. It has not been green lit, but I thought we should start the discussion.

Here are the quotes:
View attachment 425127
(photo from https://sites.disney.com/waltdisneyimagineering/our-process/)
View attachment 425191
That image on the screen shows a very Dia De Los Muertos style skull. Could this be for a Coco ride? Is this the black box ride? What do you guys think of it?

View attachment 425128
Here's a photo from Coco with the same skull.
View attachment 425145
Another photo from the Marigold Grand Central Station that seems to closely match what is on the screen.

(edited photos)
A Coco attraction has been designed for the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot and an unnamed location at DLR (possibly also for Paris, but my source isn't sure), but the actual implementation of the design has not been green lit. It did not make it in the revamp Epcot budget, which means that it is probably several years away. I'm told the designs would involve significant changes within the pavilion to accommodate necessary queue modifications. At this point, it looks more likely to arrive at DLR first when given the go-ahead.

mickEblu

On the WDW side of the forums there is a new rumor that Coco is coming over to DCA/DLR in several years. It has not been green lit, but I thought we should start the discussion.

Here are the quotes:

A Coco dark ride would be a run away hit in So Cal. Merch sales galore. DCA could use a good dark ride and this would be the perfect IP for one. They just better not disappoint me and use Shanghai Peter Pans ride system and put us on some colorful alebrijes

mickEblu

Although I prefer for it to be an addition, I could see the Coco ride taking over Mermaid and expanding into the Challenge Trail area. Then the only thing stopping Pixar Pier from wrapping all the way around the bay are Goofys Sky School and Silly Symphony Swing rethemes.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Although I prefer for it to be an addition, I could see the Coco ride taking over Mermaid and expanding into the Challenge Trail area. Then the only thing stopping Pixar Pier from wrapping all the way around the bay are Goofys Sky School and Silly Symphony Swing rethemes.
Yeah I thought it would be taking over Mermaid, but the ride vehicle seems to be too big for Mermaid's layout unless they gut the whole thing.

D.Silentu

I'm in accord with everything that has been said thus far, save for using the Mermaid space. Losing that ride is nothing I would hang my head over, but I'm not sure DCA can or should lose an attraction. I'm no good at spacial analysis but it seems like the space next to Mermaid is easily expendable, all the way to the restaurant. I also feel like I once heard that there was space behind Screamin'(EDIT: I just remembered we can't call it that anymore) where a ride could be built with an in park entrance. That useless bandstand seems like a prime spot. Thankfully, I know it won't be long before someone gives us a bird's-eye assessment of the area. As I said before, I'm with all of you in agreeing that this could be a wonderful attraction and one that is the most thematically relevant to the park since its rededication.

TP2000

If it's a small ride it could replace Goofy's Sky School (mercifully).

If it's a big ride, it could/should/would go on Pixar Pier. Using the giant yet pointless facade they built that is obviously designed to be a portal to a new attraction. But they only used it as a bandstand area for the Pixarmonic orchestra that lasted one summer before Mr. Chapek cut them.

20180621_153055-Th.jpg

This portal area leads to the backstage area, via a queue space/walkway. Using the eternally helpful Bioreconstruct and his aerial photos he offers on Twitter, here is an overhead view of Pixar Pier from March, 2019.

While my glassware chills in the freezer prior to the 5 o'clock bell 🧐 , I have taken the liberty of labeling a few key areas.

InkedPier_LI.jpg

Outlined in dark blue and labeled "C" for Coco is the backstage area that sits directly south of the coaster and directly south of the "Pixar Promenade" entry portal shown above and noted in red with an arrow pointing the way for the queue entry tunnel. The largest white building next to the coaster was the original parade warehouse built in 2001. The building across the way appears to be a back of house warehouse or offices.

Outlined next door in green and labeled "M" is Midway Mania built in 2007, for reference and size comparison.

In the left corner outlined in gold and labeled "G" is Goofy's Sky School.

At upper right outlined in orange and labeled "P" is the "new" parade warehouse they built in 2002 to house the Electrical Parade.

There's plenty of room to build a big dark ride south of the Incredicoaster at Pixar Pier. There's actually a third office/warehouse building that got cut out of Bioreconstruct's photo above but is visible via Google Earth. The Pixar Promenade portal design is obviously meant for something more long term, and is a striking entrance to... something.

Oh, look at that, the clock just struck 5 o'clock! I have to go now. :cool:

BrianLo

If Disney were willing to take out Jumping Jellyfish, the Corndog castle and realign the walkway to hug the lagoon, the Sky School plot could be nearly doubled in size.

By no means would this all go to a show building, but just to demonstrate the usable area to redevelop the whole corner into a Coco plaza

InkedPier_LI.jpg

Last edited:

DanielBB8

The Showcase Theater is a waste of space. It could be the queue for a major attraction that sits in the warehouse nextdoor.

Monsters Inc is the most boring dark ride.

Lastly, the unused cafeteria further east in Hollywood Backlot is virgin territory.

shambolicdefending

If done even modestly well, a Coco attraction would probably be a runaway success at DLR.

If they're going to replace attractions, the lame Paradise Pier holdovers like the jellyfish and Zephyr should be the first to go.

Replacing Little Mermaid would seriously blunt the otherwise positive impact it would have.

Phroobar

The best place is the pier portal for this kind of ride. Sorry but TLM is staying.

I kind of remember Book of Life. Coco left a bigger impression with me.

mickEblu

If Disney were willing to take out Jumping Jellyfish, the Corndog castle and realign the walkway to hug the lagoon, the Sky School plot could be nearly doubled in size.

By no means would this all go to a show building, but just to demonstrate the usable area to redevelop the whole corner into a Coco plaza

View attachment 425494

The only problem with this is your cutting into the most pleasant place at the park - paradise gardens

Last edited:

Rich T

I'm in your corner with this. IMHO they've got a deeper bench to draw from with the Fox acquired properties such as Jorge R. Gutiérrezs' Book of Life.
No, let’s NOT add more Non-Disney creations to DCA. Unless you reeeeally think Disney’s message should change from “Look what we created!” to “Look what we bought! Money is more important than imagination!”

And I love Book of Life, but Coco’s a better movie. Book of Life takes more risks, but unfortunately is saddled with those AWFUL unnecessary present-day field-trip scenes that keep it from being the classic it could have been.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom