Thoughts on some F&W special events (and Coral Reef)

Phonedave

Original Poster
My wife and I went to F&W over "Jersey Weekend" (Wed Nov 6 - Sun Nov 10) and I figured I would summarize our trip.

We went for Food and Wine, and not much else. The only park we entered was Epcot. We did go to Disney Springs one day. We do this every other year or so, and try to cram in as many special events as we can.

Italian Wine vs. Beer - Excellent. Great hosts, wonderful food - bread, salad, pizza, sea bass, cheese course, dessert and a beer and wine to compare with each. Some very nice wines (one was a $35 bottle according to Vivino) and some very interesting beers (lots of bottle conditioned/naturally carbonated ones). Generous initial pours, and refills were offered. The only thing I can complain about is the noise. The event is held in the side room of Via Napoli. That room is all hard surfaces. The hosts also had no PA system. Lots of echos, lots of noise, and hard to hear some of the descriptions. This was our third time doing this event (it used to be just wine) and it is still on the list of things to do again. Also got a small box of cookies when leaving.

Parisian Family Lunch - Excellent as well. Very different from the Italian event. Much more subdued and quiet (host had a PA and it was in Monsieur Paul). Amouse Bouche, Shirred Egg, Salmon, Cheese Course, Dessert and a wine with each. Refills on wine were offered. I thought the food was very good, especially the salmon. Of course that is dependent on your tastes. The host was great and very interactive. Very good descriptions of both the wines and food, and how it fits into French culture. I would do this again as well.

Wine & Cheese seminar - Not so thrilled with this one. Same host and experts as the last however many years this has been running. Everything was pre-plated and pre-poured this time. Four cheese and two wines. I did not think the wines were anything special. I know the wine guy is an expert (his background is impressive) but when he makes factually incorrect statements about tasting, it just ruins his credibility. The cheese expert is also an expert but seems to like to talk more about his book, and making odd comments such as "This is the type of cheese you want to spread on your partner and then eat off of them". There was not much discuss about the taste of the cheese or the wines. The cheeses were excellent though, and some are quite expensive. No refills on wine, in fact we were told numerous times that we had four cheeses to taste so be sure to take small sips of the wine so it would last. This may be off of our list for next time.

Coral Reef - I had never eaten here before (amazingly) and I don't think I will go back. The staff was excellent, but the restaurant really needs a refurbishment, especially with all that carpet everywhere. It feels really dated. I was not impressed with the food either. Starters were OK, in fact the lobster bisque was good (and a Caesar Salad is hard to ruin). But a filet that was ordered medium came out dead rare, as in still cool in the center and was accompanied with a side over overworked mashed potatoes. The mahi-mahi was cooked nicely, but then coated in a pineapple salsa mess that was no where near balanced and had pockets of jalapeno inconsistently placed throughout that had small tasteless overcooked shrimp added to it, because ... why not? All served over a smattering of jasmine rice (allegedly, but who could tell it was jasmine with all the mix of inconsistent flavors going on)

Oh, and we had lunch at The Edison. Really cool interior. Food was good, but portions were huge. Edison burger was good, verging on being Guy Fieri-esque mess of too much stuff piled on a burger just so we can pile stuff on a burger, but it stopped short of going there and instead all worked together. Tomato bisque was also quite good. Grilled cheese was insanely huge (why do places insist on doing that) but was an interesting mix of cheeses.

As for F&W itself, I was pleasantly surprised to see many booths actually cooking, as opposed to just bringing in pre-cooked items in hot boxes. Places were actually smoking their own meat on grills, or making sauces from almost scratch. It was nice to see, and I hope the trend continues.

So there you go, my opinions of food on a recent trip, for whatever they are worth.

OneofThree

Here now for F&W: staying at YC. I almost booked Coral Reef after not having been in forever. Glad I didn't.

My overwhelming observation:

This is our first trip to F&W since the skyline opened. IG is now a total cluster compared to what it was.

Last edited:

Epcotfan21

Here now for F&W: staying at YC. I almost booked Cory al Reef after not having been in forever. Glad I didn't.

This is our first trip to F&W since the skyline opened. IG is now a total cluster compared to what it was.
Stayed at the Swan Nov 7-9 and this was the first thing we noticed. Total buzzkill. Long gone are the days of using the IG to walk into the park with no wait.

Phonedave

Original Poster
Here now for F&W: staying at YC. I almost booked Coral Reef after not having been in forever. Glad I didn't.

We rode the Skyliner just to check it out. Rode from EPCOT to CB and took a bus to Disney Springs from there. The IG was more crowded but excessively so, but then we rode it around noon so park opening crowds were long gone.

I thought it was a neat way to travel, but I can see it impacting the IG. We like to stay in BWV when we can, particularly because of the IG and it's lack of crowds. It's a shame it is now crowded.

On the other hand, the main gate can't get any worse. What a freaking mess. Massive lines for bag check and then massive lines to scan in.

LavaLiz

Thanks for this recap! This is the first year in 5 that my husband and I did not visit for F&W so it brought some warm and fuzzies reading your post . I've done French Family Meal Traditions a few times and will keep returning as long as they offer it. I love the relaxed atmosphere and have wondered about the ambiance of the other events so I appreciate the info regarding Italian beer vs wine.
We've had really mixed experiences at the seminars as well. It always feels like a gamble, but at least it's a cheaper one 🤷‍♀️.
Also, welcome to the one and done Coral Reef club lol!

John park hopper

Posted before ate at the Coral Reef 2017 and service and food were good. Went back in 2019 the service was absolutely the worst I have ever experienced and the food was not much better count me two and done Coral Reef club.

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We dined at Coral Reef a couple of weeks ago and I agree it needs a refurb and the food is just meh. I always get the lobster bisque and lobster mac & cheese which are consistant but haven't ordred anything else off the menu in years.

Phonedave

Original Poster
Thanks for this recap! This is the first year in 5 that my husband and I did not visit for F&W so it brought some warm and fuzzies reading your post . I've done French Family Meal Traditions a few times and will keep returning as long as they offer it. I love the relaxed atmosphere and have wondered about the ambiance of the other events so I appreciate the info regarding Italian beer vs wine.
We've had really mixed experiences at the seminars as well. It always feels like a gamble, but at least it's a cheaper one 🤷‍♀️.
Also, welcome to the one and done Coral Reef club lol!

We have also done the other Italian wine and food lunch, in Tutto Italia - that was very good. I think we did that 4 years ago. That was a much heavier meal (lots of braised dishes and red meats) and big Tuscan type wines. It was also less noisy than wine vs. beer

2 or 3 years ago we did the Mexican Tequila Lunch - that was excellent. Extremely informative, awesome food, and a very nice atmosphere. Also, one of the best margaritas I have ever had.

Phonedave

Original Poster
Posted before ate at the Coral Reef 2017 and service and food were good. Went back in 2019 the service was absolutely the worst I have ever experienced and the food was not much better count me two and done Coral Reef club.

Our service was pretty good (and the host / hostess were excellent). The rest of it was just a waste of time. money, and calories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom