Trip Report No Baby, Still No Sleep, but LOTS of Food - Oct Trip to the Contemporary

Hello friends and happy Halloween eve!

Here is a link to my pre-trip

Several things changed between that pre-trip report and the actual trip, mostly reservations. Let's get into it!

Who: Me and R, celebrating 7 yEARS!
You may be wondering where the tiny person that accompanied us in the spring is. She stayed home with her doting grandparents and didn't even miss us! My mom kept her at our house all but one night, so she was happy in her normal routine.
When: Oct 19-24
Where: The Contemporary

Our trip started on a Saturday, which was a first for us. My mom arrived at the house around eleven and we finished up packing. I made sure she knew where everything was and we got on the road around noon. I got emotional in the car, but after that I was ok! I'm not a super emotional person, so while I missed my girl and felt weird without her, I wasn't like crying the whole time.

Our drive to the airport went smoothly and we stopped for some Lenny's once we got through security (only takes like 5 seconds in Memphis)

Not the most appetizing photo, but I love subs.

Some cute Southwest decor.

Flight took off on time and landed early. Score! We'd used ME tags so we didn't have to pick up luggage. We waited a little bit to get on a bus, then we were the last of 4 stops. The most expensive resort takes the longest to get to :rolleyes: Go figure. I think it was around 1.5 hours between the bus leaving and finally getting there because there was some traffic backed up near the Poly. I feel like maybe that's what they tell you to expect, but it almost never takes that long once you're going.

We'd originally planned to eat at Wine Bar George that night, but cancelled it a while back. I figured I'd rather try to get to Epcot that night and if we couldn't, we'd just eat at the Contemporary. With the long ME ride, I was worried, but it worked out. Also I was STARVING.

Perhaps my extreme hunger made me see these as fried eggs. I couldn't unsee it for the rest of the trip.

A quick nighttime shot in the room. I didn't do room photos since we were in a hurry to get to Epcot.

The Contemporary welcomed us with some much-needed chocolates that I scarfed down. It didn't do much to satiate me, but it was mostly tasty! Some of the truffles(?) were better than others.

I think we were on the monorail by 8:30 or a little after.

Hello, beautiful!

We made a beeline for some food.

Active Eats
  1. Loaded Macaroni & Cheese with Nueske's® Pepper Bacon, Cheddar and Leeks
  2. M.I.A. Beer Company HRD WTR Key Lime Hard Sparkling Water, Doral, FL (basically, lime White Claw)
The mac and cheese was good as usual and we basically inhaled it.

The Cheese Studio
  1. Braised Beef “Stroganoff” with Tiny Egg Noodles, Wild Mushrooms and Boursin® Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese Sauce
  2. Black Pepper Boursin® Soufflé with Fig Marmalade
We've gotten the stroganoff before and always enjoy it. I let R eat most of it because the soufflé was mostly for me. I don't think he even tried it! I liked it. I'm not really familiar with soufflé or what the texture should be like, but based on what I've read it seems like they did a good job. I loved the fig marmalade too!

Inside the souffle

I had gotten us a FP+ for Epcot Forever, so we didn't venture far. We decided to check out the place that's in the old O Canada space.

Appleseed Orchard
  1. M.I.A. Beer Company Apple Trappe Belgian-Style Tripel Ale, Doral, FL
  2. Playalinda Brewing Co. Apple Pie Beer, Titusville, FL
  3. Sea Dog Brewing Co. Green Apple Ale, Clearwater, FL
  4. Ciderboys Lemon Cello Hard Cider, Stevens Point, WI
  5. Collective Arts Brewing Cherry Apple Hard Cider, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  6. Woodchuck Hard Cider Spiced Apple, Middlebury, VT
All of this was in flight form as you can see in the photo. None of them really wowed us, but it was all refreshing.

At this point it was about 15 minutes until Epcot Forever (it was at 10pm this night), so we headed to the FP area and found us a spot to sit. Everyone stood when the show started, which I was fine with.

I didn't hate it, but I thought it was a little boring. I don't have nostalgic ties to Epcot, and I think that's who this is for. Also the wind was blowing toward us, so it was really smoky and we got stuff in our eyes a few times. I guess it's a good thing I didn't LOVE this show, since it's temporary. I'm interested to see the one they're working on!

We exited with the rest of humanity after I made a stop at the pin station and bought some pins. There were a couple of limited edition ones I wanted and some mystery boxes that had just come out. R almost choked when he heard the total :hilarious: It's not a cheap hobby!

If I remember right, we didn't have issues getting on the monorail. It does take some time to get all the way around from the TTC to the Contemporary, but we survived.

When we got back, we decided to grab a drink at the Wave lounge because most lounges closed at 10 and the Wave was open til 1, I believe. We got a couple of drinks and some waffle fries (YUM!) and for some reason I took no pictures. Three girls in the college program sat next to us and we chatted with them a little because one of them was from Tennessee as well ,and the Vols game was on. One of them was a character attendant and actually knew a friend of Anna/Rapunzel who goes to the school where I work. Small world!

Anyway, we headed back around midnight and crashed. It was a long day, but a great start to the trip!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Those are

what fab pics with the bears! Do you ship your T-shirt designs to the U.K.?
That's what I was wondering too!
Of course! The shipping is ridiculously expensive, so I hardly ever get international orders, but the option is definitely there :) Here's my Etsy shop. And if you ever see something you like that is out in your size, I can probably restock it for you. So glad you all like the shirts!

Laurenciaa

Of course! The shipping is ridiculously expensive, so I hardly ever get international orders, but the option is definitely there :) Here's my Etsy shop. And if you ever see something you like that is out in your size, I can probably restock it for you. So glad you all like the shirts!
Good to know that the international shipping possibility is there! The designs are very nice @sheriffwoody!!

Oh bother!

Thank you, I’ll take a look at shipping and maybe see if I need to beg a US based friend to order for me and bring back with them on the next visit home 😊

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Thank you, I’ll take a look at shipping and maybe see if I need to beg a US based friend to order for me and bring back with them on the next visit home 😊
Definitely! Or if you are traveling here, I can send something to you wherever you go, even Disney I'm pretty sure. We could make it happen! Feel free to message me to arrange sometime in the future if you want to do that instead of going through Etsy.

It's sad how expensive international shipping has gotten :cry:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Day 2, Oct 20 (continued)

Back in the room, R and I got ready for our brunch. It didn't take long and we didn't have far to go!

Best I could do with what I had :hilarious: That's the shirt I got him for our anniversary, along with some copper mule mugs (which we use all the time). 7 years is wool and copper for the traditional gifts. He got me some Allbirds shoes, which are made of wool. It was a good gift year!

I wish y'all could see my ridiculous shoes. I had one pair of heels that looked good with that jumpsuit. They're like 4 inch heels that I can barely walk in. But none of my other shoes looked right! And I pack the night before, so I didn't have time to go shopping 😬

Our reservation for California Grill brunch was at 12:35, and we arrived a few minutes before. We were led right up and waited only 1 or 2 minutes for our table. It was a PERFECT table! Right by the musicians and a few steps away from the buffet (remember I'm wearing heels...don't want to walk). Plus that view :inlove:

You should be able to zoom in on that to see the entree options. I went with the chicken chilaquiles (mistake) and R got the shrimp and grits (very good!). In retrospect, I wish I had gotten pancakes. I think I could have ordered a different entree when I didn't like what I got, but I was already full so oh well.

Anyway, when we arrived, we were given pineapple mimosas and they were constantly refilled throughout the meal. And when I say pineapple mimosa, it was champagne with pineapple boba balls. So...it was just endless champagne, basically.

First plate. Give me all the deviled eggs and salad! I'm all about a delicious salad. I don't know I was doing with that toast :hilarious:

R got mostly sushi the first go-around. The sushi was just ok, so I didn't go back for more.

Never tired of that view

R did the bloody mary bar, which is an upcharge. This thing looks ridiculous :hilarious: I'm not a tomato juice fan, but he loves it. That's what he gets on airplanes...such a weirdo.

mmmmmm salad

The live music during brunch was excellent! Also, there was a baby about LP's age there a few tables away, and at one point the dad walked over to the musicians with her and they were just listening and bopping to the music. It was adorable and made me miss my girl :cry: It was probably just because I missed her, but I noticed every single baby there on this trip. I don't think I've ever paid that close attention, but there were a LOT of babies there!

My entree. It was not BAD, but any means. Just didn't hit the spot.

R's entree

I don't remember what this dessert was, and we certainly didn't have room in our bellies for it, but it was so good! It was part of the buffet stuff.

This is the plate of desserts they bring around, some stuff similar to or the same as what we got in the room.

By this time they weren't refilling things on the buffet (still refilling mimosas though!), and we were STUFFED, so we wrapped up.

Lots of birds around the Contemporary. I noticed them outside our balcony a lot too.

Brunch was delicious! I don't think I'd do it again because of the cost, but I'm glad we did it as a kick-off for the trip. Our server was great, and I love the atmosphere at CG. I'd love to try some of the other brunches on property someday.

When we got back to the room after brunch around 2:30ish, we talked about what to do. I'd made us Epcot FPs, because I thought we might want to do dinner there before the halloween party. It was clear that we would not be eating another meal, so we decided to nap and then see what we felt like doing when we woke up. Well, we didn't wake up until after 4!

Since we'd already hit Epcot the night before (we needed 4 visits for our passholder gift), we skipped it this day. We just leisurely got ready for our evening

Up next: MNSSHP

Rista1313

chicken chilaquiles (mistake)

I love chilaquiles usually, what didn't you like about theirs?

I'm not a tomato juice fan, but he loves it. That's what he gets on airplanes...such a weirdo.

Hey now.. that means I'm a weirdo too.... however I'm probably even weirder... because I don't like vodka, so I don't like bloody mary's, and I don't like tomato juice, but I like to drink bloody mary mix on airplanes! (although after looking at the sodium content, I stopped doing it for EVERY flight, and only do it once in awhile)

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I love chilaquiles usually, what didn't you like about theirs?

Hey now.. that means I'm a weirdo too.... however I'm probably even weirder... because I don't like vodka, so I don't like bloody mary's, and I don't like tomato juice, but I like to drink bloody mary mix on airplanes! (although after looking at the sodium content, I stopped doing it for EVERY flight, and only do it once in awhile)
They were fine, just once I got them, I wished I'd gone a different route. It wasn't super flavorful either.

fractal

1got69.jpg

Enjoying the photos!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That brunch looks like a really awesome experience! I love that they offer a buffet but also an entree. We do brunch a lot with the girls and it's always a buffet and you always have to leave in a wheelbarrow because you ate too much you cannot walk, but I do often wish I could fill up on some entree not on the buffet.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Day 1 - Oct 20 (continued)

We took our time getting ready after our long nap. I had no plan or strategy for MNSSHP this year, so I wasn't in a hurry. We did have dessert party tickets, so that was the only thing we needed to do at a certain time.

Flounder and Sebastian headed to MK!

I think we got to the park around 5:30? We went through the party entrance and got our bags. We never trick or treat much, but I like getting a little candy.

We headed to Under the Sea first, which was fun in our outfits. If we'd had LP she would have been Scuttle. Or maybe Ariel. I think Scuttle would be cuter, personally.

This was the one picture we took together that night since R didn't want to stop at the pumpkins on the way in.

I wanted to meet Ariel and Eric, but I wasn't sure where they were meeting, so I figured I'd look online and we'd come back later. Since the party was about to officially start, we headed to Haunted Mansion hoping to see Carlotta out.

30 minutes seemed like a lot, so we decided to wait on that. Instead we made our way over to Pirates. It still wasn't quite 7, so the extra stuff wasn't happening yet. We just missed it by a few minutes I think.

back row Baptists :hilarious: (hopefully I'm not the only one on here who is familiar with that term)

We were both thirsty and I have issues paying $3.50 for water, so we decided to get a soda at Pecos Bill. And for some unknown reason, I got the Ezra sipper as well. Did I get the other two ghosts that go with it? Nope...because I have no sense.

We sat outside for a bit enjoying our drink, then we headed into Haunted Mansion. No Carlotta yet, but maybe when we leave?

Just got this photo a couple of days ago! It never showed up, but they found it. I thought I found the camera, but I was off...oops.

She was out! A couple of her jokes fell flat, but she had some good ones too. I imagine that's got to be hard, because she is kind of dependent on the the audience setting her up.

After Haunted Mansion, we headed back to New Fantasyland for me to find Ariel and Eric. Unfortunately they weren't out when we arrived over there, but I hopped in line and R went and sat on a bench. I must have just missed them because it was about 20 minutes before they came back out, then it took me about 15 minutes to get up to them. In retrospect, I shouldn't have waited, but live and learn.

The family behind me had a baby close to LP's age who was wearing an Ursula outfit with tentacles and it was probably the cutest baby costume ever! I wish I'd stuck around to see their meet with Ariel. Also it was like 7:30 and that baby was just as content as could be! My kid is a wreck if she's up past her 7pm bedtime, so I was impressed. The mom said she'd actually done way better than they expected being so off schedule. Gives me a little hope for our March trip!

I kind of rushed through the meet and greet because 1. I'm awkward with face characters. SO AWKWARD. and 2. there was a long line and lots of eager kiddos. Plus it was getting close to Boo to You time!

I retrieved my party pooper husband and we walked over to the Big Top to check out the souvenirs. Nothing really grabbed me from the merch this year, and I didn't even see much in the stores, so I left empty handed. We decided to head over to Space Mountain.

R's neck was still hurting him pretty bad, so I was surprised he wanted to do this. I probably should have reminded him how rough it is.

The line was long, but it moved pretty steadily the whole time. I didn't keep up with the time, but I think it was about a 20 minute wait.

Space Mountain is completely dark during the party. I knew this, but it still startled me to go through the tunnel with no light...

:hilarious:

Unfortunately R's picture never came up! He didn't care so I didn't file a report for that one. Me and the lady in front of me had a good laugh when we saw this picture on the screen.

First time in the new exit!

Since we were in Tomorrowland, we stopped in the Monster's Inc Laugh Floor. I thought it was so cute!

They were focused on this one family the whole time we were in there, so they were having a grand time. We didn't stay long because R was hurting from Space Mountain and the seats are pretty uncomfortable.

We got a decent amount of candy coming in and out of there.

Up next: More MNSSHP

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Day 1 - Oct 20 (continued)

We hit up Buzz next, which was a very short wait.

I got Galactic Hero WITHOUT the ride stopping! I couldn't believe it! R was sulking because his "gun didn't work" and his score was embarrassingly low. I will admit, the gun I had was awesome. I could see where I was shooting really well, which I feel like never happens.

7400 :hilarious:

My go-to pose when I win! R pretending his score is so bad because he was sleeping ;)

It was time to check in for our dessert party now, so we went over there. I didn't realize I'd booked the one where you sit down the whole time, so I was worried about our view. It ended up being fine though, the cast member made sure we got one of the better tables.

We hadn't eaten since brunch, but neither one of us was hungry. Probably shouldn't have done two all-you-can-eat things on the same day!

The cheeseburger spring rolls were GOOD! I ate at least 5 of those with the sauce...yum. That's also the Constance wedding cake, which is one of the special halloween treats. It was ok. I wasn't crazy about any of the special desserts to be honest.

Plate two. That smore thing on a stick was awful. The cast member was burning the marshmallows and I'm not a burnt mallow fan :depressed:

We were so thirsty, but they ran out of water after our first plates. Once they refilled it, I got us like 6 cups of water.

Soon it was time for the show to start! I wanted to do this for the new show so I could make sure we could see it.

We could kind of see the Jack Skellington puppet through the trees.

So I LOVED Hallowishes. It was my favorite fireworks show on property. I knew it would be hard to replace it, but I thought Disney could do it. Unfortunately I thought this show was so boring. :cry: I have no desire to see it again...oh well. At least we had some yummy spring rolls! And I paid for the dessert party with rewards points, so i didn't feel jipped.

We headed toward the train station. R was so tired and not feeling great (probably dehydrated), so he was heading back to the room. I wanted to watch Boo to You, so I stayed near the train station to wait for it. We got our Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards before he left.

R asked me if that Mickey pumpkin picture looked any different than the one I'd just taken :hilarious: I guess he has a point...

Up next: Boo to You!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom