Is this the new standard and am I the only one who sees it?

JIMINYCR

Ive seen it on occasion but have not seen it widespread. For the most part in the shops, Ive had great interactions with CM's, when I havent Ive moved on to a more responsible person and explained why I had to go to them. I have experienced more distracted CM's at the attractions where they are not focused on guests. You are going to have some whose work ethics stink and they certainly should be taken to task by their managers. At that age many havent learned how to properly interact in the workplace or even how important it is to be focused or give attentive service to customers. But it must be a difficult spot to be in , just standing in one spot for hours and watching others pass by you and you have relatively little to do to keep you buzy.

Michaelson

These observations concern me, as these are some of the very things WE witnessed over the past two years.....but not at WDW, but at Universal!

That's why we're just going to Disney next year and leaving Universal out of our vacation itinerary, as we're tired of the poor customer service we kept running into at Universal, starting at the parking garage and going all the way through HP land. CM's arguing about schedules, telling lewd jokes to each other at rides in front of waiting riders, and individuals in the HP section of the park that were completely out of character and just standing around waiting for their shift to end.

Now it's creeping over to WDW? I sure hope they get things sorted out before we go down the first of next year.

Regards! Michaelson

Hula Baloo

I hear ya...One girl outside of HM yawned as I was walking in (could've been just seeing me) but she looked not interested in being there.

I don't have an issue with a CM yawning. I understand that you see it as her being bored, but yawning is a mostly involuntary reaction and she probably couldn't control it in that moment.

jloucks

Wow, yea, I am not on the same page as most folks. At a low pay job where customer safety is not a concern, I could care less if a staffer uses their cell phones a little while between customers. In fact, I am happy for what few little perks they have in an otherwise thankless job. Having a smart watch that makes using the phone/text less obvious is even better. The only caveat is when a customer is actually needing their help. So, yes, in your scenario the employee should have spotted you and wrapped it up in 15 seconds or less. It takes, what 5 seconds to say "Gatta go, need me to call you back?". ...and then be super nice to the customer that kindly waited the extra 5 seconds.

I'm happy for you use your phone unobnoxiously.

I can guarantee you, at the rate Disney would pay me, If I was not with a customer I would answer calls from my kids without thinking twice. If they wanted to fire me because I took 120 seconds away from stocking shelves to see what my kids want, it would be their loss.

I have a large staff that report to me. I would never tell my staff they could not take short phone calls between customers. They work so hard and are much too valuable to me to be that bloody petty. Just thinking about it makes me lol.

And to tell them they could not wear a smart watch is absurd.

Sure, there are lines you can cross with personal stuff at work, but 5-15 minutes a day on phone or text is not one of them.

As for the yawning, that is even tougher to prohibit. A gentle coaching if it is ridiculous in frequency, but other than that, I think don't worry about it.

I am in full agreement however, on rides or attractions that are sub par due to malfunctions. It should not be that difficult to keep it professional on a grand scale.

Last edited:

jloucks

Disney actively patrols the boards to see what's being said. Discussing this stuff here accomplishes more than sending a private email because everyone can see this.
I don't know if this is true, but it makes good sense.

I would certainly use this tool if I were in charge.

I spend a lot of time on GM auto forums and I know for a fact GM is on there. Some of their top brass (in engineering), and middle brass, make their presence known from time to time. I particularity like it when they torpedo trolls spewing fake news.

Clamman73

I don't have an issue with a CM yawning. I understand that you see it as her being bored, but yawning is a mostly involuntary reaction and she probably couldn't control it in that moment.
I wouldn't have cared otherwise, but it was a general disinterest in her look of being there too....and not it a HM CM ghoulish disposition.

Tom P.

Tweets get better responses from Disney than these boards.
That, in and of itself, is kind of a sad indication of where not just Disney, but companies in general are today from a customer service perspective. Bring something to them directly and you may just get a yawn and an "oh well." Make an issue of it on social media, and you are more likely to get a positive response.

trainplane3

I don't know if this is true, but it makes good sense.

I would certainly use this tool if I were in charge.

I spend a lot of time on GM auto forums and I know for a fact GM is on there. Some of their top brass (in engineering), and middle brass, make their presence known from time to time. I particularity like it when they torpedo trolls spewing fake news.
Oh they do. You'd be surprised.

I do think the OP should take the Frozen party complaints to Disney though (if the show was that weak, no way for me to know). No one will contact them through the boards to give them a refund.

UNCgolf

It is also how I feel every time I'm at WDW and see how much Budweiser/Bud Light costs. 😆

I will never forget being in Rome and being able to buy Birra Moretti or Peroni, neither of which are special but both of which are miles better than Budweiser, from a street vendor for 2-3 Euros whereas Budweiser/Bud Light were 8-9 Euros. I realize it's because they're imports, but I couldn't figure out why they would even stock it when much better beer was available for much cheaper. Who was buying it??

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I will never forget being in Rome and being able to buy Birra Moretti or Peroni, neither of which are special but both of which are miles better than Budweiser, from a street vendor for 2-3 Euros whereas Budweiser/Bud Light were 8-9 Euros. I realize it's because they're imports, but I couldn't figure out why they would even stock it when much better beer was available for much cheaper. Who was buying it??
Romans and when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom