Rian Johnson still in the mix for new Star Wars Movies

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol...

No...he is most certainly NOT in the running. Did his agent write this?

Let’s just look at this with a shred of common sense: why did Iger say his multi billion dollar movie franchise is going on “hiatus”??

One reason: to close this period and sweep the decks.

Kennedy is gone...Johnson will never get a call from Disney again.

Let’s not make simple life too hard here

erasure fan1

Disney has been extremely ignorant, tone deaf, stupid, lazy and a lot of other things when it comes to star wars. But as dumb as they've been with it, I would be absolutely shocked if Rian does anything for Disney again. He is tainted, plain and simple, but Disney is going to let him fade away quitely.

erasure fan1

Don't buy it. I find it more believable theyre waiting till after TROS to announce he won't be doing it.
I think you're right, except I'd take it a step further. I think it will be after Kennedy is gone. I don't see Kennedy announcing that the only director she had absolutely no problems with, is no longer working on star wars. I believe after ep9, she's done, and then very quietly, Rian goes away. I wouldn't expect a major announcement.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you're right, except I'd take it a step further. I think it will be after Kennedy is gone. I don't see Kennedy announcing that the only director she had absolutely no problems with, is no longer working on star wars. I believe after ep9, she's done, and then very quietly, Rian goes away. I wouldn't expect a major announcement.
Package deal...

I would expect that Kennedy “decides” to concentrate on IJ5...or some other BS.

And then Disney starts saying: “Rian who? Never heard of him”. (Now known as “pulling a trump”)

But the missing piece of the puzzle is who or even IF they have a replacement. I could see Iger basically shutting Star Wars down (he just admitted it)...except for the streaming stuff and just punt till he retires.

erasure fan1

But the missing piece of the puzzle is who or even IF they have a replacement. I could see Iger basically shutting Star Wars down (he just admitted it)...except for the streaming stuff and just punt till he retires.
It will be pretty quiet on that front for some time to come. I think this Feige star wars announcement is a good indication of what they want the plan to be. It seems like they want him to be involved with both. Start off star wars with a new era, while getting someone to take over so he can just over see things. All while making sure Marvel is still moving the right direction. I could see Lucasfilm and Marvel studios being combined into one thing completely under Feiges direction.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

I doubt RJ will direct another SW movie. I can see him directing something at Fox, either original or a reboot from a franchise like Die Hard or whatever.

As Campea said having RJ as a director will take over all conversation regarding the product when the conversation should be on the product itself. No matter what side of the aisle you fall on (I personally think TLJ is the worst Live Action SW movie released) it's not a good business move.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I doubt RJ will direct another SW movie. I can see him directing something at Fox, either original or a reboot from a franchise like Die Hard or whatever.

As Campea said having RJ as a director will take over all conversation regarding the product when the conversation should be on the product itself. No matter what side of the aisle you fall on (I personally think TLJ is the worst Live Action SW movie released) it's not a good business move.
We know who the 3 contenders are for that gold medal

(This is typically where somebody says something stupid)

gmajew

Premium Member
Really dont know who will write and direct the next set of movies but I have a feeling it will be more like the marvel universe then not.

rowrbazzle

As of this week they're still in talks. https://variety.com/2020/film/news/rian-johnson-star-wars-knives-out-sequel-1203464981/

At this point, I'm not sure why Johnson would want to do it. Disney put 8 in his hands and it was released to critical acclaim and box office success. Disney was behind him, but at some point they seem to have changed their mind. They basically disowned his work with Episode 9. Why would he want to go back to that? Perhaps if Kennedy leaves? Even then, I don't think a new movie would be given a fair shot by many Star Wars.

In the meantime his latest movie is a runaway hit and earned him an Oscar nomination. I imagine there are plenty of other opportunities for him.

erasure fan1

variety said:
Johnson also confirmed he may still have another gig in a galaxy far, far away. When asked if he was still in active development on any future “Star Wars” projects, he responded: “I’m still talking to Lucasfilm but they haven’t announced anything on their slate yet.”
Until something comes out of Disney, specifically Iger, this is just Rian trolling the fans. In other news, I'm in talks to pen one of the new star wars movies. I'm just waiting to hear back from them in regards to my interest in working on the series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom