Space 220 Chef steps down weeks before opening

Joeamc

Original Poster
I just read an article online that stated that the Executive chef of the new Space 220 restaurant has stepped down weeks before opening. What impact do we think , if any, will this have on the opening/restaurant? I was just excited to see the article said "weeks before opening".

MrHappy

Step down has a negative connotation, he actually decided to accept a position in Vegas at the Winn. I can't add to the actual impact on Space 220. I would imagine that he helped engineer the menu already and considering this type of separation, moving forward should be seamless. But I know nothing.

TP2000

It's a restaurant in a theme park, serving up space-themed fare for tourists. It's not rocket science (pardon the pun).

Space 220 will still sell and serve all the various mid-level steak and seafood and pasta dishes they had planned to sell at huge markups, with corn-syrup cocktails and wacky desserts to pad the average check per table.

Served up by semi-mediocre wait staff and semi-mediocre service by Orlando CM's who have never actually received proper training in fine dining, in a nicely designed room with a nifty fake view out the fake windows, even though the budget was cut a few times by Chapek's sharp pencil boys and isn't quite as nice as it could have been. In a theme park.

The first chef got a new gig in Vegas. They'll replace him. Life will go on. In a theme park. 🧐

MrHappy

It's a restaurant in a theme park, serving up space-themed fare for tourists. It's not rocket science (pardon the pun).

Space 220 will still sell and serve all the various mid-level steak and seafood and pasta dishes they had planned to sell at huge markups, with corn-syrup cocktails and wacky desserts to pad the average check per table.

Served up by semi-mediocre wait staff and semi-mediocre service by Orlando CM's who have never actually received proper training in fine dining, in a nicely designed room with a nifty fake view out the fake windows, even though the budget was cut a few times by Chapek's sharp pencil boys and isn't quite as nice as it could have been. In a theme park.

The first chef got a new gig in Vegas. They'll replace him. Life will go on. In a theme park. 🧐
Welp, that was a rosie depiction. Thanks for that.

TP2000

Welp, that was a rosie depiction. Thanks for that.

Don't worry. There are dozens of Lifestyle Bloggers in Orlando who will rush to visit this place, gush over every course, and declare that the entire experience is "AMAZING!", because in 2019 anyone under the age of 35 has no other adjectives to use except the word "amazing". Their vocabulary is so horribly stunted, it's down to just the word "amazing" and swear words now.

But that stunted vocabulary makes video blog reviews that much more glowing for the sponsoring company. In this case, the Walt Disney Company and the new Space 220 restaurant. Regardless of who the chef is, or that the service is nothing better than your local Olive Garden on a good night, it will be universally declared to be AMAZING! :rolleyes:

Editor516

So you’re saying you’re looking forward to trying it?

MrHappy

Don't worry. There are dozens of Lifestyle Bloggers in Orlando who will rush to visit this place, gush over every course, and declare that the entire experience is "AMAZING!", because in 2019 anyone under the age of 35 has no other adjectives to use except the word "amazing". Their vocabulary is so horribly stunted, it's down to just the word "amazing" and swear words now.

But that stunted vocabulary makes video blog reviews that much more glowing for the sponsoring company. In this case, the Walt Disney Company and the new Space 220 restaurant. Regardless of who the chef is, or that the service is nothing better than your local Olive Garden on a good night, it will be universally declared to be AMAZING! :rolleyes:
AHHH-Mazing, is how I believe they pronounce it ;)

Clamman73

It’ll expand to OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Club Cooloholic

I eagerly await the space turn of the ubiquitous "NY Strip Steak" found on every menu in every restaurant in WDW on the dining plan. Will it have a spicy Adobe rub(Mars dust), maybe peppercorns(moon rocks) served with a side of "butter milky way" mashed potatoes!
Honestly, its something new so yes excited, but will reserve some excitement when I see the prices.

Last edited:

Joeamc

Original Poster
Like I wrote in the original post, Im excited the article said "weeks ahead" of opening. Any speculation on when they may be targeting an opening?

Joeamc

Original Poster
I'm thinking right after Thanksgiving weekend. Then they will have time to work out the kinks before crazy busy Christmas week.

Joeamc

Original Poster
Well they left it very open by saying "winter." Some have taken that as being before the end of the year, but there is nothing official at this point.
I agree. I think if it doesn't happen right after Thanksgiving, then it won't happen until after New Years. I don't thing they would open it too close to the busy Christmas/New Years week.

JIMINYCR

Theres going to be a lot of people scrambling to cancelling a set reservation when it gets announced so they can replace it with 220.

donaldtoo

I just read an article online that stated that the Executive chef of the new Space 220 restaurant has stepped down weeks before opening. What impact do we think , if any, will this have on the opening/restaurant? I was just excited to see the article said "weeks before opening".

I can hear it now...
“I am not naming my food zat...! Are you keeding...?!?!?!” ;)

wdwjmp239

This post was absolutely f'n amazing! By the way...I'm 45. My vocabulary is much larger than this. I just wanted to rattle this amazing cage for a little bit. Isn't that amazing? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom