Something needs to change with MK close on non Party Nights

drizgirl

No, I just believe in virtual queuing systems. In this day and age, stand-by lines just make no sense to me. There's no reason to stand around like a caged animal in one place for hours just because groups of people are currently on the rides that you want to get on. There's no reason to force people to stand around like this without any other options because other people are OK with this doing asinine exercise.

If you want to see a doctor, would you wait outside his office for weeks on end for him to see you, or would you make an appointment?

I'm sure everyone more or less values than time, but a lot of people have this ideology that you're more worthy to ride something because you're better at standing in one place and walking 5 feet every 10 minutes.
Except that Disney would need a lot more attractions if nobody actually has to stand in line. What else are they going to do while they wait? They're not all going to shop, as much as Disney would like that.

Trackmaster

Except that Disney would need a lot more attractions if nobody actually has to stand in line. What else are they going to do while they wait? They're not all going to shop, as much as Disney would like that.

A reservation system would either mean that you spent fewer hours in the park entirely (the time that you're riding and the time between reservations) or you'd do what you wanted all day instead of in line. Yes, it would put some strain on the midways, but I'd find that preferable to standing around like a caged animal.

Its ironic that people call me "impatient" because I hate standing around like a cage animal for hours after I've paid for something. I call other people who refuse to plan ahead of time impatient, as they can't trade off a minimal amount of work now for a much bigger payoff down the road. So they end of spending hours standing in one spot for little to not reason because of their lack of impulse control and ability to plan.

NickMaio

No, I just believe in virtual queuing systems. In this day and age, stand-by lines just make no sense to me. There's no reason to stand around like a caged animal in one place for hours just because groups of people are currently on the rides that you want to get on. There's no reason to force people to stand around like this without any other options because other people are OK with this doing asinine exercise.

If you want to see a doctor, would you wait outside his office for weeks on end for him to see you, or would you make an appointment?

I'm sure everyone more or less values than time, but a lot of people have this ideology that you're more worthy to ride something because you're better at standing in one place and walking 5 feet every 10 minutes.
Yes.......
Its 2019 people.....virtual que system already.
Not just this FP nonsense. Make all big draw rides virtual lines.

NickMaio

I have not been to Volcano Bay, but don't they use some kind of virtual que system so people are not baking in long lines???

Trackmaster

I have not been to Volcano Bay, but don't they use some kind of virtual que system so people are not baking in long lines???

Well, Fast Pass is a virtual queue system. I think it works the best for what Disney's going for. You're probably thinking about what they do at Disneyland. I still prefer WDW's system. DL's system just benefits you if you rope drop. If you don't rope drop, it screws you over.

drizgirl

Well, Fast Pass is a virtual queue system. I think it works the best for what Disney's going for. You're probably thinking about what they do at Disneyland. I still prefer WDW's system. DL's system just benefits you if you rope drop. If you don't rope drop, it screws you over.
If you don't do rope drop, you're really just screwing yourself.

NickMaio

I mean get rid of standby lines and go completely virtual que.....if at all possible.
As I understand it. There is no standby line ag VB. Just virtual que....come back af this time.
I wonder if their new park will be like this also?

Touchdown

Original Poster
Volcano Bay has a wave pool, two lazy rivers and hundreds of lounge chairs where people can hang out in between reservations, where are all those people going to go in a theme park? You can’t possibly have enough shows to keep everyone occupied and waits down to one show cycle.

drizgirl

Volcano Bay has a wave pool, two lazy rivers and hundreds of lounge chairs where people can hang out in between reservations, where are all those people going to go in a theme park? You can’t possibly have enough shows to keep everyone occupied and waits down to one show cycle.
Especially after cancelling the new theater project for the MK. Let's face it. Disney would rather have people standing in line than pay union performers to entertain them while they wait.

Club Cooloholic

Unless it has vastly improved, haven't there been a lot of complaints about Volcano Bays virtual system since it opened?

Club Cooloholic

A co-worker just came back and said the system was amazing. She said WDW could learn a thing or two.
WDW could also do this at their water parks which have more lounging room.
I never found lines to be all that crazy at the water parks, but sounds like they worked out the kinks with the virtual lines. I read up on it and honestly, I like the idea of having to go to the ride and tap to get a virtual waiting time. I hate that with WDW you have to plan so far ahead and keep your phone on hand to make changes. That said WDW doesn't want a system like this. They would prefer you have everything mapped out 3 months in advance so are less likely to make any travel changes, or dining changes etc. . .its a machine and we are the cogs lol.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

If you don't do rope drop, you're really just screwing yourself.

I have the M-F AP, and I work M-F. My typical trip is hopping over after work. The FP+ is great because when I get to the park my reservations are waiting for me. Then I keep re-booking once I scan in and I pretty much ride on FP+ the whole visit. I never really wait in stand-by lines.

Disney's usually not very crowded at all in the evenings and nights M-Th. All the families are all amped up for rope drop with you, and they turn into walking zombies who don't care anymore by the evening.

I wouldn't bother with rope drop and going during the day unless you were on vacation and won't get back for years. If you have an AP just go in the evenings and ride the FP+'s.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I have the M-F AP, and I work M-F.

Elfinko

I'm seriously considering not staying for the fireworks any longer. That goes for HEA, Epcot and sadly Fantasmic at HS. The crowds are too much leaving the park for our son (autism) and my girlfriend who has some chronic issues with her hip after a car accident. We'd enjoy ourselves a lot more just chilling by the pool or in the resort's arcade. Sometimes you just need to give up on those 'must dos' to save your sanity.

Disorbust

I had to push my Dad in a WC out of fantastic and it was a complete zoo. IF anyone would have fell they would have been trampled. We never did it again with him.

NickMaio

I'm seriously considering not staying for the fireworks any longer. That goes for HEA, Epcot and sadly Fantasmic at HS. The crowds are too much leaving the park for our son (autism) and my girlfriend who has some chronic issues with her hip after a car accident. We'd enjoy ourselves a lot more just chilling by the pool or in the resort's arcade. Sometimes you just need to give up on those 'must dos' to save your sanity.
In the past after fireworks we would really take our time leaving - - 1 hour shopping is a little better than 1 hour elbow to elbow with tired people trying to leave.
Just a thought.

Trackmaster

Haha, its not that bad. I just hop over after work. Luckily Disney has some very long hours. I love it because I enjoy trips of only a few hours, and by that point I'm full of energy and everybody is walking like the Walking Dead around me after a full day at the park. Between Pound the App and how sluggish everyone is, I can get some mega production by riding the Fast Passes, or just taking the walk-ons. Plus, it gets me there in time for the fireworks and night shows.

A drawback is not getting the daytime entertainment, but sometimes I'll get there early enough for it, and the M-F Select doesn't blackout the holidays, so I can go on a Monday holiday, furiously pound for the FP+ I need, and see the daytime stuff I usually miss.

January and February are awesome times of the year to be at Disney. The crowds an be a little... not great, but the weather is perfect and it gets dark so early! Sometimes I won't even take my tie off, and throw a sweater on if its chilly enough to not warrant changing into shorts and a T-shirt.

Trackmaster

One idea that I've had to help deal with the MK exit situation would be to have an awesome water show with fireworks/fire/smoke/lights/water jets over the Seven Sea Lagoon between Magic Kingdom and the TTC. Make it so that its visible from the walk-way between MK and the Contemporary, and from the TTC side, as well as the balcony from the Contemporary hotel rooms.

Make the show an hour after Happily Ever After. I think that doing this would provide guests options and force them into having a strategy that will split the crowds up after they've made their choice. Some people will want to rush over to the TTC to see it on the TTC side, and some will linger around the MK side to see it from there. So the guests who all leave at least would leave in two waves. If you left early, you got to see the show on the TTC side, and hop right into your cars to leave.

I saw that MK started having a show in this area (and maybe this is why they do this) but it was very pathetic and stupid, a total missed opportunity. It wasn't something that would pull any crowds in.

Obviously they'd never move Happily Ever After over there, but this could be in addition to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom