Man Arrested for Allegedly Groping a Face Character in WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

CJR

He was with his family?

Article says Ariel was unable to move because his wife was on her other side. It's possible, given that it was only a few seconds that she didn't realize what happened until they were out of there. Especially since the photographers seemed to take another picture after that, which I find odd. I would have been pushing them out immediately, but I don't know the whole situation, of course.

BromBones

Original Poster
Reading one of the posted articles, the guy was on the sexual offenders list because he inappropriately touched a 12-year-old girl several decades back.

That prompts the question: If a person is a registered sexual offender especially when it involves children we already know they can't live within a certain distance of a school. So should that same restriction apply to them being allowed to visit parks like Walt Disney World which caters predominantly to young children?

Which then prompts the second question: Should Disney do a background check on their guests before allowing them to visit the parks?
- It would be expensive to background check everyone, but once you are clear you are clear.
- It could most likely be construed as an invasion of privacy.
- It might dissuade a lot more people from coming to Walt Disney World, but that also might be a good thing if it's dissuading the people with questionable backgrounds.
- The ACLU would most likely have a field day with that.

This might be a topic for another thread.

BromBones

Original Poster
Article says Ariel was unable to move because his wife was on her other side. It's possible, given that it was only a few seconds that she didn't realize what happened until they were out of there. Especially since the photographers seemed to take another picture after that, which I find odd. I would have been pushing them out immediately, but I don't know the whole situation, of course.

Perhaps. The details are not totally clear. The article says that one of the CMs asked him to move his hand when it was down around the character's waist (grabbing her ). Did the CM see him doing that or was it unclear and the CM just asked that he move his hand because of the rules? More might come out over time. It absolutely will if it goes to trial.

BromBones

Original Poster
Question: Do you think that Disney will actually take this one to court? Once they do that it becomes public record.
And while it is a good thing to shine a light on bad people (alleged in this man's case for now) we also know how Disney does not like negative press.
Would they try to keep the trial confidential? (which I don't see happening)
Or will they compensate the face character CM to keep her from going to trial?
Or will they just make it a trial so the records can be public and it will show that Disney is not going to tolerate that horrible (alleged) behavior?

If they have proof that he did do this then I would take it to court and press charges.

Goofyernmost

Why in the world would you assume that a man groping a woman's breast without her consent was done in the name of humor?
Because at certain "class" levels that would be an acceptable way to express humor and get a laugh. This problem is much more then "just say no". It requires moral and civil people to make it a bad thing to do under any circumstances and because of that it has to reach every culture and upbringing. Taking it to court and making it loudly public will go a long way in getting that message across. However, sadly, it won't be solved overnight.

shernernum

Reading one of the posted articles, the guy was on the sexual offenders list because he inappropriately touched a 12-year-old girl several decades back.

That prompts the question: If a person is a registered sexual offender especially when it involves children we already know they can't live within a certain distance of a school. So should that same restriction apply to them being allowed to visit parks like Walt Disney World which caters predominantly to young children?

Which then prompts the second question: Should Disney do a background check on their guests before allowing them to visit the parks?
- It would be expensive to background check everyone, but once you are clear you are clear.
- It could most likely be construed as an invasion of privacy.
- It might dissuade a lot more people from coming to Walt Disney World, but that also might be a good thing if it's dissuading the people with questionable backgrounds.
- The ACLU would most likely have a field day with that.

This might be a topic for another thread.
Background checks are not instantaneous unless they get access to government databases that are probably off limits to them. Not sure how they could do it with people who walk up, buy a ticket and go right into the park.

BromBones

Original Poster
Background checks are not instantaneous unless they get access to government databases that are probably off limits to them. Not sure how they could do it with people who walk up, buy a ticket and go right into the park.

That's a very good point. I guess they could stop walk up purchases, but that's not a good idea.

seascape

I am never comfortable getting a picture take with a female Princess so I try to stand next to my wife and have the Princess of the other side of my rather than in the middle. I also think the Princess's have the hardest job on property. I have seen so many kids run up and jump on them. How they can constantly put up with all sorts of behavior and stay in character and be so happy all the time, is beyond me.

_caleb

I believe as soon as technology allows, characters will be animatronics. They've already suggested that's one thing they want to do with some of their tests.
Pretty sure human face characters cost a lot less than animatronics. Actors don't require a team of engineers and can be easily replaced if things aren't quite working.

I was going to say that it would also be difficult to keep guests from touching animatronics (see video of roving robots in TL abused by children), but apparently it's also difficult to keep guests from touching human actors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom