News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Phroobar

Yesterday I revisited GE for the first time in a couple of months. For the first time I went in at night and was blown away by the lighting design. This is a land that really must be experienced at night. We did MF and got pilot for the first time which made me actually like the ride. I still don't love it, don't give a crap about Hondo, never really feel like I'm entering the Falcon, and wish the mission would change but it was fun as pilot. We did the Cantina and got "sat" at the bar top which was MUCH better than sharing a high-top table with other parties. We even were allowed a third round of drinks. It was a positive experience and I greatly look forward to the land being completed with ROTR.

Skip the chocolate popcorn, though. It's bad.
The trick is to do the Falcon after you've been to the bar with at least three drinks in ya.

mickEblu

Yesterday I revisited GE for the first time in a couple of months. For the first time I went in at night and was blown away by the lighting design. This is a land that really must be experienced at night. We did MF and got pilot for the first time which made me actually like the ride. I still don't love it, don't give a crap about Hondo, never really feel like I'm entering the Falcon, and wish the mission would change but it was fun as pilot. We did the Cantina and got "sat" at the bar top which was MUCH better than sharing a high-top table with other parties. We even were allowed a third round of drinks. It was a positive experience and I greatly look forward to the land being completed with ROTR.

Skip the chocolate popcorn, though. It's bad.

I agree . It’s much better at night. I’ll probably start treating SWL the same way I treat BTMRR. Only at night. Well, unless the Fastpass return time (in the future) for ROTR is during the day.

Phroobar

I dunno. I heard they make you clean up your own throw up because... immersion.
20161119151919%21Sorry_about_the_mess.gif

TP2000

I think it will be The Rise of The Resistance, at least that is highly speculated. That falcon ride is redundant, Star Tours is already next door.

In Paris, Star Tours is at least in a different theme park.

In Anaheim, Star Tours is just two lands over in Tomorrowland.

In Orlando, Star Tours is literally on the entry pathway into Star Wars Land, next to the Muppets and a Los Angeles themed brewpub. Because, immersion.

It seems to me that Paris gets the better deal by at least having Star Tours in a totally separate theme park. But I think we can all agree that Star Tours really should go to Yesterland once they open a Star Wars Land on the same property. It's a shame that the Falcon ride didn't bury Star Tours, but then that speaks to the weaknesses of the Falcon ride itself.

mickEblu

But I think we can all agree that Star Tours really should go to Yesterland once they open a Star Wars Land on the same property. It's a shame that the Falcon ride didn't bury Star Tours, but then that speaks to the weaknesses of the Falcon ride.

In principle we can agree but what do you do when the older attraction is better than the new one in many ways?

I think the imagineers while they were in the sandbox the past few years may have been overvaluing the Star Wars IP and it’s nostalgia at least when it comes to a theme park. Now don’t get me wrong, Star Wars fandom is huge. But I think they put too much stock into “grown men crying when they see the Falcon” and pretty rock work. That stuff is supposed to be icing on the cake. The cake is the EXPERIENCE. So far, when it comes to experience it falls flat with the Falcon and the land in general.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

In principle we can agree but what do you do when the older attraction is better than the new one in many ways?

That stuff is supposed to be icing on the cake. The cake is the EXPERIENCE. So far, when it comes to experience it falls flat with the Falcon and the land in general.
All they had to do was make me walk up the ramp and that would have taken care of this issue.

TP2000

I think the imagineers while they were in the sandbox the past few years may have been overvaluing the Star Wars IP and it’s nostalgia at least when it comes to a theme park. Now don’t get me wrong, Star Wars fandom is huge. But I think they put too much stock into “grown men crying when they see the Falcon” and pretty rock work. That stuff is supposed to be icing on the cake. The cake is the EXPERIENCE. So far, when it comes to experience it falls flat with the Falcon and the land in general.

Well, yes. I don't disagree at all. That's the sad part about Star Wars Land, even for as beautifully designed as it is and how impressive the rockwork facades are. It's like if they built Cars Land just the way it looks now, but once you got on Radiator Springs Racers it was just sort of a souped up version of Autopia instead of the fabulous E Ticket they actually built.

And it's also why at two in the afternoon on a gorgeous fall day we have these current wait times, where a 52 year old ride with 2,800 passengers per hour capacity has an almost identical wait time as the brand new Star Wars E Ticket that only gets 1,600 per hour in the over-hyped land, and the 32 year old other Star Wars ride still has big demand:

Pirates of the Caribbean - 25 Minutes (2800 per hour without Fastpass)
Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 30 Minutes (1600 per hour without Fastpass)
Star Tours - 35 Minutes - (1800 per hour with Fastpass)

I suppose the original plan was to have both rides operating on opening day of Star Wars Land, but that obviously didn't happen and they missed the mark by six full months. (And will it even work reliably in January? Unknown.)

I wonder if anyone loses their job over that, besides that Powell woman that no one had ever heard of before?

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Now we know why you like Haunted Mansion so much. The attraction has a ramp. I guess it does make or break a theme park experience.
Doesn't hurt an experience and the Mansion is condidered one of the best Disney Imagineering feats ever created and has stood the test of time. Now I am not saying it is because of the ramp but falcon doesnt have a ramp and we see how those reviews have been. Conincidence? I'll let you decide.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom