Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

peter11435

I don't think we need to shake a fist at unknown parents on this one. I finally got out west last fall and DCA has animatronic Cars that drive around the land, with moving eyes and speech. They seem to do ok with that technology that was greenlit ten years ago. IMO a speeder that is really just a plastic box is not that much different than a fence, and youshould be able to walk around it as if you were in a real location. And yes, let the bloggers selfie it up
Those cars are entertainment and are always accompanied by cast members to keep guests away.

The ships shouldn’t be fenced off. But if they weren’t people would climb them. People would set their kids on them. People would be injured and sue. People would vandalize them. I don’t like that they are fenced but I understand why they are. Remember it costs more to fence them off than it would to leave them accessible.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Those cars are entertainment and are always accompanied by cast members to keep guests away.

The ships shouldn’t be fenced off. But if they weren’t people would climb them. People would set their kids on them. People would be injured and sue. People would vandalize them. I don’t like that they are fenced but I understand why they are. Remember it costs more to fence them off than it would to leave them accessible.

OTOH, they could be made like the forest speeder photo op that used to be opposite Star Tours. It was expected for people and kids to climb on top. So, if they made a droid/speeder area where everything was bolted down and the bolts smoothed over, they could have been hands-on photo ops.

techgeek

Hey, check out all those cool ships and speeders... behind a ridiculous fence you'd never seen in a trading post.

Beautiful land... but if the ships aren't doing anything or having steam pop out, can we at least stand next to them?

The first time my wife and I walked through, we were stunned by how much there was to look at. There’s things to look at everywhere, and all of it was lovingly crafted with a clear sense of respect for the source material.

It would be great if it was sold as a Star Wars museum, because that’s basically what it amounts to. A one billion dollar museum.

Incomudro

Hey, check out all those cool ships and speeders... behind a ridiculous fence you'd never seen in a trading post.

Beautiful land... but if the ships aren't doing anything or having steam pop out, can we at least stand next to them?

The fence allows people to stand next to them, well relatively next to them.
What it prevents is people climbing on the ships, hanging on them, putting their kids up on them, sticking gum on them, carving ones name in them...

doctornick

OTOH, they could be made like the forest speeder photo op that used to be opposite Star Tours. It was expected for people and kids to climb on top. So, if they made a droid/speeder area where everything was bolted down and the bolts smoothed over, they could have been hands-on photo ops.

This. It makes sense to fence off the spaceships - people would inevitably climb on them and that's a lawsuit waiting to happen when a person falls. But something smaller like a speeder bike or the similar thing Rey had in Ep VII, etc could easily be out as a photo-op. In fact, I'm actually very surprised/disappointed there isn't something like that.

Jones14

This. It makes sense to fence off the spaceships - people would inevitably climb on them and that's a lawsuit waiting to happen when a person falls. But something smaller like a speeder bike or the similar thing Rey had in Ep VII, etc could easily be out as a photo-op. In fact, I'm actually very surprised/disappointed there isn't something like that.
There is one! We didn’t get a picture on it when we went, but here’s a pic of it (from Undercover Tourist). It’s in one of the courtyards next to Savi’s Workshop.

Attachments

• 461375BA-8982-4582-A59F-5299C39918DF.jpeg
    461375BA-8982-4582-A59F-5299C39918DF.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 231

Rich Brownn

The fence allows people to stand next to them, well relatively next to them.
What it prevents is people climbing on the ships, hanging on them, putting their kids up on them, sticking gum on them, carving ones name in them...
Yup, as we know, people don't care. Once when walking by the Griifin statue in IOA, a mother was taking pictures of her kids climbing all over it. I remarked "Make sure you get the 'Do Not Climb' sign in there so people know what a good mother you are..." and walked away.

DisneyDebRob

First time at the land today and took advantage of the early morning hours for onsite guests.
Just wanted to say that this is coming from someone that doesn’t know a blue milk from a Wookiee. Don’t even know if I spelled that right. Star Trek fan here and never got into Star Wars.
The land is beautiful, very well done and it is inviting even for someone who has no idea about it at all. We spent a bit of time exploring, eating and doing smugglers run. Did not enjoy the ride at all. Seemed very basic and not to far off from the Star Wars ride they have had for years. They knocked it out of the park with the land though. It was beautiful!

DisneyDebRob

honest question for you: did a CM explain that the ride was also a game, and that your score would be shown at the end. Or, did you know about that it is also a game? I ask because I can see where it could be boring without the full understanding of the attraction.

IMHO, that is where Disney failed in regards to SR. There is not enough emphasis on how you can "earn credits". The queue would be perfect to explain it. Hondo recordings en route, signs that explain the roles and how to "earn credits", etc. Once my wife and I understood the game part, we were eager to go again and do better. It can be addicting like TSMM.
No one explained anything to us. To me, and I may be off here, it really didn’t need a explanation. Aftwhat you said, maybe it would help. To me it just seemed it wasn’t what this new land needed. From what I hear the new ride coming in December is going to be great. Smugglers Run, well guess I was expecting something that would wow me but left saying to myself and my wife, that was very ordinary. After pandora, I think I’m just expecting better and better, not just a been there done that sort of attraction.

_caleb

honest question for you: did a CM explain that the ride was also a game, and that your score would be shown at the end. Or, did you know about that it is also a game? I ask because I can see where it could be boring without the full understanding of the attraction.

IMHO, that is where Disney failed in regards to SR. There is not enough emphasis on how you can "earn credits". The queue would be perfect to explain it. Hondo recordings en route, signs that explain the roles and how to "earn credits", etc. Once my wife and I understood the game part, we were eager to go again and do better. It can be addicting like TSMM.
Are they actually referring to the "earned credits" in SW:GE outside the ride? Or are you just saying that earning a "score" makes it more fun to re-ride (to try to beat previous scores)?

Rogue1138

That is a huge personal disappointment and made me push off rushing to SW:GE sooner than our normal annual vacation. The idea of the credits you earned actually have some meaning in the rest of the land was an awesome idea.

Surferboy567

I’m sure I’ll get the black spire haters on me for this comment. Probably people saying “I shouldn’t have to read a book” and such BUT I’m going to say this anyways. After visiting Batuu I loved the land so much that I wanted to learn more I’m pretty into the lore. So I recently starting listening to the audiobook of “Black Spire“ and it adds so much to the land. Really makes you appreciate certain details. If anyone wants to learn some more about Batuu that book really helps. It also really hyped up the queue for Rise (those who have read it/listened to it will know what I’m talking about) good story as well. Just a suggestion, wish their was a way they could put some of this history in a more obvious place but that’s kinda how Star Wars is...it rewards the fans who do more research.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Nobody has yet been able to explain this to me-whats the point of “earning credits”? Do you get anything from them? It might be fun if you could use the credits to get a discount on merch or a free drink at the cantina or something.

It was my understanding that combined with the playdisney app, your results on the ride could differ based on credits in your bank. Likewise, credits earned on the ride show in the playdisney app along with other credits you earn throughout the land. We were able to earn credits around the land, and also in the queue for SR, but could not get the score on SR to show on the app.

But, even without the playdisney app, your score does vary on the ride based on the actions of each of the six guests. That's what got our attention. We noticed the score in August during the AP preview. With minimal lines we rode SR several times and began to notice the different results, actions, score, etc. Thus, it can be frustrating to ride with guests who have no clue, or who want young children to enjoy the thrill of being pilots. I totally get the latter, but we love games and trying to improve our scores. Thus, we are addicted to TSMM.

It was very interesting that shortly after our recent Sept/Oct trip where we used the playdisney app, I received a survey specifically about it. Questions about battery drain (it kills your battery!), ease of using, where we played it, etc. We used it both in SWGE and also at MK.

To add further comments to your post. You may or may not know this but I’ll explain anyways. The basic way the datapad works is first you create your profile. You start as a basic unimportant Batuuian in simple rags (seen on your profile). Below that you will see a series of meters colored these represent the factions you can align yourself with. Smugglers, Resistance, and First Order. You may be wondering how do I align myself with a faction?. Well, you take jobs of course! Jobs can be done for all the factions and when you do a job for a faction your favor will increase leading toward the bar being filled up more. This will also unlock some achievements and grant you rank in the faction you just leveled such as being a resistance general. When you become more advanced and more exalted (I play MMO’s so I may use some similar MMO terminology) with the faction of your choosing the citizens of Batuu may notice. Their a “reputation scanners” all around Batuu and by using a very discreet Bluetooth connection the cast member can know where your allegiance belongs to thanks to the reader that shows your faction. Sometimes (most of the time) the cast members don’t really use the readers but when they do it’s super rewarding. This brings me to the credits, you can earn them from Hondo, Jobs, Hacking, or Slicing all around the land. As of now their is no way to spend them...but as the app is updated later on (like it will be for Rise) it is entirely possible this will change. Anyways their a quick crash course on the datapad. Larger playDisney parks app has other features but those are the datapad features.

erasure fan1

I’m sure I’ll get the black spire haters on me for this comment. Probably people saying “I shouldn’t have to read a book” and such BUT I’m going to say this anyways. After visiting Batuu I loved the land so much that I wanted to learn more I’m pretty into the lore. So I recently starting listening to the audiobook of “Black Spire“ and it adds so much to the land. Really makes you appreciate certain details. If anyone wants to learn some more about Batuu that book really helps. It also really hyped up the queue for Rise (those who have read it/listened to it will know what I’m talking about) good story as well. Just a suggestion, wish their was a way they could put some of this history in a more obvious place but that’s kinda how Star Wars is...it rewards the fans who do more research.
This is one of the things that I'm very disappointed with when it comes to Disney star wars. The philosophy seems to be "don't worry about it, we'll explain it in a book or comic." There are flat out too many books and comics for me to keep up with. Black spire should have shown up in one of the movies. I don't want to have to read a one shot comic or novel to find out who Snoke is and how he managed to undo everything that Luke and the rebellion fought for. It's not a deal breaker with black spire, but seeing it up on the big screen, if only for a small part, would have gone a long way in my opinion.

Last edited:

scaughron

Just got back from a 7 day trip to Disney World thought I would share my experience/opinions on Galaxies Edge. For some context I have been a Star Wars fan for sometime this includes the movies and video games .

The Land - First off that land itself is just a sight to see the detail is incredible. The sounds are subtle but done well from the droids making noise to the antennas letting off a low hum. Overall the land felt like Star Wars to me. We went there a total of 4 times during the trip and saw many characters walking around. Vi Moradi interacted with me as I was using the data pad to hack the First Order ship. Was a nice interaction. We also saw Chewie around, Kylo Ren and storm troopers harassing people, and even a First order officer talking to people at the water bottle fill station making sure people knew the first order supplied the Hydrating water.

Food and drinks - We had a 8:15 reservation for the Cantina, our party of 6 were lucky enough to get a booth. Our server was very much in character and interacted well with the group. The Cantina was very busy and themed great, everyone in there was having a blast singing and drinking, I had 2 drinks and enjoyed them. As many have stated the price of these drinks are over priced in comparison to other drinks you can buy. But the experience I had was great and would most likely go again.

We also ate a Ronto wrap for lunch and found it very good. The blue milk was decent, did not try the green. Not sure i would get it again as it didn't really leave an impression on me.

Data Pad - I used this every time we were in the land. It was a fun distraction to walk around and interact with the land. Making droids beep and antennas send and receive signals was a nice touch. I would say a lot of people I talked to didn't really know about the app.

Savi's Workshop - Originally I was not going to build a saber but being there I changed my mind and set up a reservation. This was a fun experience, the cast members did a great job. Very story driven and well executed and yes costly but if you want to build a saber do it.

Smugglers Run - Compared to some people out there we enjoyed the ride. As a video game player each time we rode it (4 times) we were trying to get a better score. I think this really made our experience better each time. We also had 6 people so we knew each other and were having a loud fun time. The experience of walking through and into the cockpit is what you think it would be, very cool.

Crowds - It was very busy each time we were in the land. I am not really sure were people are getting the land is empty from. The stores were busy, many people building droids and sabers. All the others stores seemed fairly busy as well.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

michmousefan

This simple trash can was one of the odd delights for me and another SW fan at Galaxy's Edge in Anaheim. Specifically, the numbers on the can itself. This was in the single-rider line for SR... didn't notice it anywhere else. It's just a clever deep cut to the original trilogy (heck, the original movie) for the fans. Does anyone know if it's in the same spot in DHS?

If you didn't know, the code refers to the unit number of the garbage masher on the Death Star that Luke, Leia and Han are trapped in. Luke tells 3PO to open the hatch...

masher can.jpgmasher2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom