Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Rise of Skywalker still filming

This will not be the answer you want but here goes...

I don't care. Not even a little. I am honestly concerned more about whether we are eating too much garlic as a nation than I am about Star Wars "beating" Marvel, Potter or any other franchise.

Fair enough...

Now as a follow up: watch the clip Fractal has put above and tell me if you disagree with it? If you have the time...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I think it’s basically just the US and Europe that makes Star Wars as big as it is. Still even there I think there could’ve been so much more excitement going into this movie. It feels like it hasn’t even reached TFA levels.
That’s actually one of the strengths of Star Wars that Disney identified as a “weakness” and have screwed up royally on.

Star Wars is weighted more toward North American box office that any other modern tentpoles.

For Instance: if the farce awakens had the same pull as endgame...it’s total should be about $3 billion...but it’s $2.1

Big difference, no?

Star Wars was/and still is a NATO franchise...it serves those strong, western countries and served archetype, relatable heroes and villains in the developed world.

Disney has spent 5 years apologizing for it 40 years later.

It’s like confessing to a crime that was never committed.

I heard a great author commenting (on politics but the subject is irrelevant here) last week with a quote to this effect:

“We are overdosing on history... mining the past for fresh outrage”

Star Wars? Yes...YES!

This is it with Disney...Kennedy is attempting to correct things that never were identified as broke...by anyone in time and space.

It’s a big part of the failure. And make no mistake...you can’t legitimately not put it in that realm on 10/24/19

Last edited:

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
If this doesn’t really exceed their box office expectations...I see her being dismissed immediately afterward.

No reason to keep her and there won’t be a better time

Truth!

Sad thing is Lucas kinda (technically did) appoint her and Disney left her in place. That’s the biggest mistake Iger did, George Lucas has been turning over in his grave (lol) ever since. She’s a snake that cared more about the money than development. Well, it’s all suffering now. I hope she got her money’s worth.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Truth!

Sad thing is Lucas kinda (technically did) appoint her and Disney left her in place. That’s the biggest mistake Iger did, George Lucas has been turning over in his grave (lol) ever since. She’s a snake that cared more about the money than development. Well, it’s all suffering now. I hope she got her money’s worth.
Well as we hear more and more anecdotal stuff comes out (like spray tan bob’s book)...it’s becoming clear Lucas put her there as a plant...to continue doing what he wanted. And bob and the lawyers pulled the last minute outflank on him.

And here we sit. Bob’s not a creative guy...Kennedy isn’t a creative Secretary...and George is out in the wind - which no mistake he likely deserves for his attitude on selling candy to children from 1995-2012.

Here we is.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've been watching this trailer a bunch and I will say, Williams score is on point. When it breaks into the force theme after the 3PO scene, love the twist on the original music.
I do like the sound...just none of the visuals.

But beware of the trailers...

I said the single best piece of Star Wars Disney was the third trailer for 7...

That really awesome redo of the Leia theme with the falcon...

I was sure they “got it”. But then I saw Leia...and Han...and a the falcon...and the stupid new death star...and the renaming of sides...

And...well...that’s all I can say 😎

prberk

OK, I am sure that this has been addressed, but wouldn't it be great if they could return the Fox fanfare and distribution logo to the front of Star Wars for this last episode in the saga?

In fact, the Fox fanfare extended version that we hear today on all Fox features was a 1950s version that was restored specifically for Star Wars in 1977 to tie the Fox fanfare to the Star Wars Main Title theme better. The logo had been shortened (which you will see on any '70s and even most '80s Fox releases other than SW if you have them on old tapes or DVDs) and stopped after the main trumpet part, with the violin-led part clipped off; but Lucas had them add the violin-led part back (with a black background and Lucasfilm name, as the Fox visual had finished) as a transition to the Main Title theme. All the of non-Disney sequels were done this way, and even today, the original film (Episode IV) still has the Fox logo on TV.

So, for most Star Wars fans, I think it only feels right to release it under Fox, and since they own Fox now, I would like to see that done for this film. (And the Fox logo put on further releases of 7 & 8.)

Ellen Ripley

OK, I am sure that this has been addressed, but wouldn't it be great if they could return the Fox fanfare and distribution logo to the front of Star Wars for this last episode in the saga?

In fact, the Fox fanfare extended version that we hear today on all Fox features was a 1950s version that was restored specifically for Star Wars in 1977 to tie the Fox fanfare to the Star Wars Main Title theme better. The logo had been shortened (which you will see on any '70s and even most '80s Fox releases other than SW if you have them on old tapes or DVDs) and stopped after the main trumpet part, with the violin-led part clipped off; but Lucas had them add the violin-led part back (with a black background and Lucasfilm name, as the Fox visual had finished) as a transition to the Main Title theme. All the of non-Disney sequels were done this way, and even today, the original film (Episode IV) still has the Fox logo on TV.

So, for most Star Wars fans, I think it only feels right to release it under Fox, and since they own Fox now, I would like to see that done for this film. (And the Fox logo put on further releases of 7 & 8.)

i heard that was the plan

sedati

So he finally admits it lol

This is so sweet after all the crap he spread whenever people wondered if his movies would ever get made. Not going to care to read the actual article but I’m guessing there’s no apology in there at all. Dude needs to be a man.
Don't read this article either:

MerlinTheGoat

Rise of Skywalker still filming

Look, as pessimistic as I am of this film, it's important to temper your negativity and not jump on board with random people on youtube commenting on wild speculation. Just know that a lot of these types of videos are just completely unfounded clickbait.

For example, back when Last Jedi was in production (and especially after it released), a lot of these types of videos were claiming Kathleen Kennedy had been fired (or was about to be). Turned out to be nonsense, as did a lot of their other predictions about the franchise. These channels are essentially tabloids, and they have another more unsavory ulterior motive (unrelated to the Star Wars franchise itself) that you don't have to look very hard to see.

There are some other details i'd like to elaborate on about this video and others like it. But I'm going to hide it inside a spoiler tag. Both because it's lengthy and because it contains some borderline political details necessary to understand the angle these types of videos are pulling. There are no actual film or story spoilers here, i'm just hiding it for those who don't care or want to see it.

That video you linked was made by a person involved in the "anti SJW reactionary" group on youtube. He's admittedly more subtle about it than many of the others i've seen pop up in my feed occasionally (thanks to the absurd youtube algorithm). Most won't even try to hide their propaganda, just plastering their video titles (and thumbnails) with various buzzwords used to mock liberals, feminists, minorities or any other boogieman group they like to blame the film industry's (or society at large) problems on. The guy you linked to for example refers to the movie Solo as "Soylo" in some of his video descriptions. Soylo is a phrase the anti SJWs nicknamed the movie, derived from "soyboy", an insult right wingers invented (similar to cuck) to describe as "weak effeminate liberal men". He is also subscribed to a handful of other more overt anti SJW youtubers like ComicArtistPro Secrets. So it's not difficult to deduce his true angle in this.

There's a flood of people like this on youtube. While I strongly dislike the sequel trilogy, it's obvious that most of these people aren't even huge fans of the Star Wars franchise. Most are largely just a bunch of losers with a clear and often very bigoted political agenda who found a source of drama to capitalize on.

The filmmakers also share major responsibility in helping fan the flames behind this negativity and taking the bait of these youtubers. Kathleen Kennedy stated in an interview she wasn't interested in appealing to men with the movies. Make no mistake, also appealing to women is good and having a badass female jedi is something I and probably most other male fans very strongly want to see if executed properly. But it's also very dishonest and foolish to suggest that the franchies has only ever appealed to men (and that they should no longer be part of the target audience). The previous movies have always had a gender agnostic appeal, i've met just as many women who love them as men. But more broadly, Kennedy also said something that I feel hits home as to a key problem (if not THE key problem) with this sequel trilogy. She said the only group she felt obligated to appeal to is "the company I work for" (AKA Disney, their executives and the stockholders). This was a cold and ugly corporate statement that alienates all fans of the franchise who just want a good movie that was made with heart and passion.

JJ Abrams also made a blanket statement towards critics of the sequel films, calling those who didn't like it sexists. The same angle Paul Feig tried to pull with Ghostbusters. This backfired spectacularly. While I brought up the obnoxious and loud minority of idiots on youtube who ARE worthy of that sort of labeling before, they ARE a minority. And it is petty and childish to make such a sweeping generalization that everyone who disliked the sequel trilogy are a part of this group. I believe JJ knew this as well and was just hoping to guilt trip (through social blackmail) people into supporting the movies. "Love us and give us your money or you're a bigot".

Myself and most of the people i've spoken with who share my negative opinion of the sequel trilogy find these crazies on youtube a shameful and disgusting embarrassment. We simply find the movies to be boring, poorly written and often nonsensical or contradictory. And I believe they turned out like this because there's an underlying core of soulless corporate motivation behind them. There is no heart or vision.

I seriously doubt they're still filming. It's common for a studio to do test screenings of films, and to shoot alternate endings and edits during post production. But they tend to happen much earlier in post-production. Not when the movie is this close to release. Unless these alleged reshoots are just so extremely minor and easy to get done and edit quickly.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't read this article either:
There’s a much stronger case to be made...actually...that Disney has “cleared the decks” to near immediately dismiss Kennedy and completely replace everyone she put at lucasfilm immediately after return of the abrams.

But that’s a long tale...and not “happy”...so I won’t bore you with the details. But the details do strongly point to that.

But you keep thinking that little angry man boy...who made a movie that dropped the prior films gross by $750,000,000, and led right in to a Star Wars flop...is gonna make Star Wars movies for his Mommy.

I have some Colorado beach front property to sell you😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Look, as pessimistic as I am of this film, it's important to temper your negativity and not jump on board with random people on youtube commenting on wild speculation. Just know that a lot of these types of videos are just completely unfounded clickbait.

For example, back when Last Jedi was in production (and especially after it released), a lot of these types of videos were claiming Kathleen Kennedy had been fired (or was about to be). Turned out to be nonsense, as did a lot of their other predictions about the franchise. These channels are essentially tabloids, and they have another more unsavory ulterior motive (unrelated to the Star Wars franchise itself) that you don't have to look very hard to see.

There are some other details i'd like to elaborate on about this video and others like it. But I'm going to hide it inside a spoiler tag. Both because it's lengthy and because it contains some borderline political details necessary to understand the angle these types of videos are pulling. There are no actual film or story spoilers here, i'm just hiding it for those who don't care or want to see it.

That video you linked was made by one of the "anti SJW reactionary" people on the site. He's more subtle than many of the others i've seen pop up in my feed occasionally (thanks to the absurd youtube algorithm). Most won't even try to hide their propaganda, just plastering their titles (and thumbnails) with various catchphrases and words used to mock liberals, feminists, minorities or any other group they like to blame the film industry's problems on. The guy you linked to for example refers to the movie Solo as "Soylo" in some of his video descriptions. Soylo is a phrase the anti SJWs nicknamed the movie, derived from "soyboy", an insult they invented (similar to cuck) to describe "pathetic feminized liberal men". He is also subscribed to a handful of other more overt anti SJW youtubers like ComicArtistPro Secrets. So it's not difficult to figure out what his real angle is.

There's a flood of people like this on youtube. While I strongly dislike the sequel trilogy, it's obvious that most of these people aren't even huge fans of the Star Wars franchise. Most are largely just a bunch of losers with a clear political agenda who spotted a source of drama to capitalize on.

The filmmakers also share major responsibility in helping fan the flames behind this negativity and taking the bait of these youtubers. Kathleen Kennedy stated in an interview she wasn't interested in appealing to men with the movies. Make no mistake, also appealing to women is good and having a badass female jedi is something I and probably most other male fans very strongly want to see if executed properly. But it's dishonest to suggest that the franchies has only ever appealed to men, the movies have a gender agnostic appeal (seems like just as many women and men love the originals). More broadly, Kennedy also said she only had an obligation to appeal to "the company I work for" (AKA Disney, their executives and the stockholders). This was a cold and ugly corporate statement that alienates all fans of the franchise who just want a good movie that was made with heart and passion.

JJ Abrams also made a blanket statement towards critics of the sequel films and called anyone who didn't like it sexist. The same angle Paul Feig tried to pull with Ghostbusters. This backfired spectacularly. While I brought up the obnoxious and loud minority of idiots on youtube who ARE worthy of that sort of labeling before, they ARE a minority. It is petty and childish to make such a sweeping generalization. I'm also sure he knew what he was doing here, he was hoping to guilt trip (socially blackmail) people into supporting the movies, lest you wish to be labeled a bigot.

Myself and most of the people i've spoken with who share my negative opinion of the sequel trilogy find these crazies on youtube a shameful and disgusting embarrassment. I simply find the movies to be boring, poorly written and often nonsensical or contradictory. And I believe they turned out like this because there's an underlying core of soulless corporate motivation behind them.

I seriously doubt they're still filming. It's common for a studio to do test screenings of films, and to shoot alternate endings and edits during post production. But they tend to happen much earlier in post-production. Not when the movie is this close to release. Unless these alleged reshoots are just so extremely minor and easy to get done and edit quickly.
I agree with you about following YouTube bloggers/commentary.

I NEVER even looked at them, let alone cared what they were reportedly saying...
Until just the last week when I watched a few.

The problem is I don’t want to believe anything this guy or any of the others are saying. The “phandom
Menace”...as apparently they’ve called themselves.

But...BUT...they are pretty damning/compelling abstracts. Just based on what we’ve seen and the details that have been confirmed/repeated.

I don’t want to go too far down the rabbit hole...but there is one about the executive management that makes a poop ton of sense when they compare it to how Hollywood operates. Including examples. The crux of it is this: new management would never accept the job in the middle of the sequencing that Star Wars is in, Iger himself is reported to be pushing the D+ material - including who’s in charge, and Disney never formally acknowledged or issued a press release/show of support for kennedy’s “extension”. It was enlightening...even with a grain of salt.

I asked Yoda...I noticed he “forgot” to respond 😉...but I’ll ask you:

Do you doubt that abrams was given the mandate of “Fix it” by the board and that seems to be reinforced by the rumors of troubled production/editing?

Not reasonable?

And I agree with your spoiler tag (though it’s not actually spoiler at all)...with one reminder: in this age of tribalism - which frankly is wrecking everything - simply labeling thjngs as “political” is dangerous. Because somewhere...even in fractured, political divisive conversation, the truth is still out there. And we are starting to lose sight of that most important fact. We need to start to concentrate on the subject more than the delivery.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It would make no sense. Fox had nothing to do with the sequel trilogy.
And as with every other Disney property, Iger joint...buying Fox was meant to highlight the “greatness” of Disney...not highlight past competition.

Supposedly...there is a massive push behind the scenes to retcon as much as they can in this last movie (seems to have turned out - shockingly - that the old guard fans that haven been greatly alienated were in fact the ones spending money and driving the Star Wars bank...how could anyone have guessed that??) to try and get maximum positive reception/appeal. Something not done at all with the last couple of movies...

But putting the Fox fanfare in is a bit TOO desperate to get minor applause, is it not?

erasure fan1

For example, back when Last Jedi was in production (and especially after it released), a lot of these types of videos were claiming Kathleen Kennedy had been fired (or was about to be). Turned out to be nonsense,
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But this part I think you are off. Yes, Kennedy didn't get fired and no one will ever really know the truth. But the roots of these reports weren't nonsence. If you add things up, where there is smoke, there's fire. I believe they wanted Kennedy out and couldn't get a suitable replacement. They extended her through 9 because that was the lesser of 2 evils. I find it interesting that we have no idea what the direction of cinematic star wars is. By this time, the next trilogy should be known if Kennedy was going to be the one in charge of it. But they can't really afford to scrap more plans, so why announce anything until Kennedy has gone on to exciting new endeavors and Disney wishes her all the best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom