News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Ismael Flores

I'm sorry, what were we talking about? Oh yes, Star Wars Land.

Upon further reflection, I think it's interesting that they have another update for Star Tours ready to go. Obviously they've been working on that since before Star Wars Land opened. I imagine that when this was greenlit six or twelve months ago they thought this would be a nice relief valve for what they assumed would be an overcrowded Star Wars Land in an overcrowded theme park, on both coasts. Funny how that worked out. Now it's just sort of a throw-em-a-bone marketing gimmick for a new movie that is oddly not placed in the big new Billion Dollar Land they built for that movie franchise.

Oops! :oops:

Mr. Chapek, tell me again how Star Wars Land snack bar hostesses and shop clerks will IMMERSE me in their backstory?

I am really surprised that they are still adding more star wars elements and updates to Tomorrowland but they neglect to just go ahead and add more walk around characters to Batuu.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Didn't she do the same act on the Golden Girls and the Star Wars Holiday Special?

MNXw.gif

Learn, o youth the icons of culture...

TP2000

I was there. That type of “I’m superior to you” attitude was tiresome even back then, more so now.

Can't disagree with you there. My father absolutely hated Maude. Like it seriously brought him physical pain if even a promo for Maude came across the big color Zenith in the living room. 🤣

I am really surprised that they are still adding more star wars elements and updates to Tomorrowland but they neglect to just go ahead and add more walk around characters to Batuu.

This gets to the issue that the operational problems with Star Wars Land are huge and tied directly into senior executive leadership and the decisions they have made and staked a claim to.

Star Wars Land is like a Special Administrative District of Disneyland (and DHS), a poorly implemented version of Colonial Williamsburg, where all other theme park ops rules do not apply and no one is allowed to deviate from the failing operating strategy created by Scott Trowbridge and approved by Bob Chapek. And from all indications both those men and their direct underlings have doubled down on that, and they are acting as though all the place needs is some better marketing and to get the second ride opened. They've got a huge marketing push going, with likely a lot more to come this winter, and the Resistance ride is on the way.

Then all Messrs. Trowbridge and Chapek have to do is sit back, let those snack bar CM's IMMERSE you in their fascinating backstory instead of paying actual actors and musicians and stuntmen to entertain you, continue to keep the most popular Star Wars characters and cultures hidden away, and watch the profits and glory and fame roll in.

I don't think that's how it's going to go in 2020, but it's increasingly obvious that Mr. Chapek thinks it will work like that.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

Can't disagree with you there. My father absolutely hated Maude. Like it seriously brought him physical pain if even a promo for Maude came across the big color Zenith in the living room. 🤣

This gets to the issue that the operational problems with Star Wars Land are huge and tied directly into senior executive leadership and the decisions they have made and staked a claim to.

Star Wars Land is like a Special Administrative District of Disneyland (and DHS), a poorly implemented version of Colonial Williamsburg, where all other theme park ops rules do not apply and no one is allowed to deviate from the failing operating strategy created by Scott Trowbridge and approved by Bob Chapek. And from all indications both those men and their direct underlings have doubled down on that, and they are acting as though all the place needs is some better marketing and to get the second ride opened. They've got a huge marketing push going, with likely a lot more to come this winter, and the Resistance ride is on the way.

Then all Messrs. Trowbridge and Chapek have to do is sit back, let those snack bar CM's IMMERSE you in their fascinating backstory instead of paying actual actors and musicians and stuntmen to entertain you, continue to keep the most popular Star Wars characters and cultures hidden away, and watch the profits and glory and fame roll in.

I don't think that's how it's going to go in 2020, but it's increasingly obvious that Mr. Chapek thinks it will work like that.

How much live entertainment did NOS open with in 1966? You had day and night acts on the French Market stage. At least one daytime strolling jazz group. And a tap-dancing black shoeshine boy on the street corner (I'm not making this up, although it may have been for a special event or taping). Next door you had the Golden Horseshoe Revue during the day (day and night during the US Bicentennial), and guest acts at nite. Steel Drum Band at nite in Adventureland PLUS a hula show at Tahitian Terrace.

There's a lot I like about Swaggie (that's what some CMs are calling it), but there's no life. Chewie and Ray alone in the empty forest? Now, there's actually some cool ethereal music in the side room of Docking Bay Seven kind of like temple bells. I really like it. But can I just get a damn beer with my spareribs? They can in frickin' Florida!

It just makes me wanna kick a droid!

MoonRakerSCM

Synergy!!!

Did Disney just toss a bunch of small bags of popcorn into this area of the smugglers queue and turn them over so you can't see the labels?

In other news, my family really likes the land, my mom had fun in the ride (though had zero clue what she was doing), my dad was indifferent to the ride and never needs to go on it again ("so hectic, what was going on"), but my dad LOVED seeing all the crap from around the land and telling us what every little piece of electrical to industrial crap is that is there for themeing.

Not a single person wanted to try the blue milk and it sounds absolutely disgusting to them

Mickeyboof

Synergy!!!

Did Disney just toss a bunch of small bags of popcorn into this area of the smugglers queue and turn them over so you can't see the labels?

View attachment 420346

In other news, my family really likes the land, my mom had fun in the ride (though had zero clue what she was doing), my dad was indifferent to the ride and never needs to go on it again ("so hectic, what was going on"), but my dad LOVED seeing all the crap from around the land and telling us what every little piece of electrical to industrial crap is that is there for themeing.

Not a single person wanted to try the blue milk and it sounds absolutely disgusting to them

The attention to detail!!!!

TP2000

It's the last Friday night before Halloween. October Friday night's have been very busy at Disneyland for years and years now. It's a SoCal thing; the locals love to go hang out at Disneyland on Friday nights in October. They can be some of the busiest days of the year.

Tonight is no different. It's hot and very dry tonight, with light winds as the Santa Ana's still bluster their way around SoCal.

The wait times are relatively high at 8pm, with a Midnight park closing time. The Millennium Falcon has the lowest wait time of any E Ticket in Anaheim, except the 60 year old Submarines and the 64 year old Jungle Cruise (before they add an animatronic The Rock to the ride). It's A Small World is closed for refurbishment, so not tracked. The Star Wars rides are in red.

Radiator Springs Racers - Temporarily Closed
Jungle Cruise - 15 Minutes
Soarin' Around The World, Emotional Whirlwind, Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 30 Minutes
Pirates of the Caribbean, Grizzly River Run - 40 Minutes
Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain - 45 Minutes
Star Tours - 55 Minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure, Chase A Baby - 60 Minutes
Midway Mania - 80 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy Monsters After Dark!, Matterhorn Bobsleds - 90 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 100 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday - 120 Minutes

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It's the last Friday night before Halloween. October Friday night's have been very busy at Disneyland for years and years now. It's a SoCal thing; the locals love to go hang out at Disneyland on Friday nights in October. They can be some of the busiest days of the year.

Tonight is no different. It's hot and very dry tonight, with light winds as the Santa Ana's still bluster their way around SoCal.

The wait times are relatively high at 8pm, with a Midnight park closing time. The Millennium Falcon has the lowest wait time of any E Ticket in Anaheim, except the 60 year old Submarines and the 64 year old Jungle Cruise (before they add an animatronic The Rock to the ride). It's A Small World is closed for refurbishment, so not tracked. The Star Wars rides are in red.

Soarin' Around The World, Emotional Whirlwind, Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 30 Minutes
Star Tours - 55 Minutes
really says something that the tomorrowland star wars rides have longer lines than the new state of the art simulator ride in the brand new $1 billion dollar star wars land that is based on the most famous ship in the star wars universe. this is what happens when you don't get to walk up the Falcon Ramp.

lifeisgoodboy

Synergy!!!

View attachment 420346

I think instead of the word crap it should be called stuff.

Disney Analyst

really says something that the tomorrowland star wars rides have longer lines than the new state of the art simulator ride in the brand new $1 billion dollar star wars land that is based on the most famous ship in the star wars universe. this is what happens when you don't get to walk up the Falcon Ramp.

If it had fast pass I would assume it would be the same wait or slightly higher then Star Tours tonight. I’d love if these reports would account for fast pass inflation.

RobWDW1971

Star Tours - 55 Minutes

Because Hyperspace Mountain and Star Tours are great Star Wars rides that actually celebrate what fans love about Star Wars. More C3PO, RD2D, blaring Star Wars music, X Wing/Tie Fighter battles, and less Dok Andar and eating in a storage container.

TP2000

Synergy!!!

View attachment 420346

Is this new? I don't remember seeing these on my multiple walks through the Falcon queue this summer.

And what the heck is it? It's literally Kettle Corn? Hondo has us smuggling snacks across the galaxy?

This has to be a joke. A bad joke.

Sailor310

No. They actually are a Star Warsey thing. I remember reading a SR easter egg blog that explained what their connection with the Star Wars universe was.....Of course I don't remember the explanation nor the site it came from.:confused:

Update: Ok, I've been all over the SR easter egg sites. I can't find what I thought I read. I did find a snarky comment in Touring Plans about suggestive product placement for the popcorn shop.:(

I THOUGHT I had read somewhere that they were stormtrooper ration packs or something of the sort. I was just there. You guys are right. They are just bags of popcorn!

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
If it had fast pass I would assume it would be the same wait or slightly higher then Star Tours tonight. I’d love if these reports would account for fast pass inflation.
Add on top of that hourly capacity. It's much higher than people have wanted to accept and easily close to 1.5 to 2 times as much as the other two rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom