Disney plus Imagineering

lazyboy97o

After following along Joe Rohde's Instagram for around a year, they should just give that guy his own Disney+ show. Talk about art history and the types of works and artists different rides/attractions/pavilions pull from to create their look. He did a great couple posts on the type of art used for EE and how it was adapted and changed to fit the lore of the ride, yet still respect the culture it came from.
Joe is completely out of touch with the public. He doesn’t understand that theme parks are just about copying movies.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Joe is completely out of touch with the public. He doesn’t understand that theme parks are just about copying movies.

Well, I mean he was put in charge of Mission Cheapout

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I mean, I'm not defending the ride, but all of the Towers apart from Orlando's were always lacking just because of how they were designed.

Sure, I can agree. I'm just more peeved that this idea was horrible from the start, but Chappy had his eyes on that IP advertisement money his pupils almost turned to dollar signs. And truth be told, I really enjoyed the fast paced nature of our version. I think Hong Kong's looks amazing and i'd love to try that out. By a million miles, the least attractive tower to me is the one in DCA as it stands now.

Also, I visited WDW's in Jan of this year and I was pretty disappointed with TDO. The music could barely be heard, the audio levels were all over the place, a lot of effects were broken, etc.

Epcot_Imagineer

Sure, I can agree. I'm just more peeved that this idea was horrible from the start, but Chappy had his eyes on that IP advertisement money his pupils almost turned to dollar signs. And truth be told, I really enjoyed the fast paced nature of our version. I think Hong Kong's looks amazing and i'd love to try that out. By a million miles, the least attractive tower to me is the one in DCA as it stands now.

Also, I visited WDW's in Jan of this year and I was pretty disappointed with TDO. The music could barely be heard, the audio levels were all over the place, a lot of effects were broken, etc.
In peak shape WDW's is the best. The entering of the fifth dimension with the elevator being pulled through is still one of the greatest effects in a ride ever; something all of the other towers sadly lack. With the way the tower is right now, it's just sad. One of the greatest rides ever built just lacking and unimpressive. Do you mean DisneySea? That one looks beautiful on the outside and I have only seen POVs, never been myself.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
In peak shape WDW's is the best. The entering of the fifth dimension with the elevator being pulled through is still one of the greatest effects in a ride ever; something all of the other towers sadly lack. With the way the tower is right now, it's just sad. One of the greatest rides ever built just lacking and unimpressive. Do you mean DisneySea? That one looks beautiful on the outside and I have only seen POVs, never been myself.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And yes! Disneysea's! How embarrassing of me lol.

Stripes

The ride itself is actually really fun. But the Tower’s ugly exterior and terrible sightline issues really hinder the park’s aesthetic.

DanielBB8

The more I ride Mission Breakout, the more I like it. DCA gotten the cut rate version of TOT. They wouldn't try to make the ride mechanism work so they decided the easy way out. MB works much better with the current layout. Probably the alternative solution is a completely new version like at Tokyo DisneySeas so the comparison can't be made. Now, fix Galaxy's Edge.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The more I ride Mission Breakout, the more I like it. DCA gotten the cut rate version of TOT. They wouldn't try to make the ride mechanism work so they decided the easy way out. MB works much better with the current layout. Probably the alternative solution is a completely new version like at Tokyo DisneySeas so the comparison can't be made. Now, fix Galaxy's Edge.
you still have not answered why your name is BB-8 WHEN IT IS KNOWN FOR A FACT! THAT YOU HATE DISNEY STAR WARS!!! Lol just kidding ya.

BrianLo

This docu-series was more a commission by Marty Sklar to capture the inner workings of Imagineering ala the Pixar Story.

Of course it will be a rosey outlook, but it’s less a theme park fluff piece and sounds like there will actually be some meat to it.

From what they talked about at D23 it sounds structured around different eras. An episode encapsulating modern Disney launching in Shanghai (the film crew was of course active on the project back then). An episode around the financial brink turmoil that was Disney Circa Epcot/Tokyo Disneyland.

It was originally supposed to be a documentary, but they were offered more time with Disney+ and jumped on it.

Sounds like it will be a worthy watch!

RobWDW1971

This is the the thing I'm most excited about on Disney +.

This turns into a WDI is terrible thread in 3...2...1...

WDI we hold in our hearts: Disneyland's Pirates and Haunted Mansion
Actual WDI of Today: EPCOT Imagination Pavilion's last two remodels

If WDI only existed over past 20 years, you wouldn't be getting a documentary as they've been living off of the legacy of their predecessors vs. what they actually produce for years.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

WDI we hold in our hearts: Disneyland's Pirates and Haunted Mansion
Actual WDI of Today: EPCOT Imagination Pavilion's last two remodels

If WDI only existed over past 20 years, you wouldn't be getting a documentary as they've been living off of the legacy of their predecessors vs. what they actually produce for years.

At times I am disappointed in what they churn out. I also enjoy a lot of the recent product as well.

In your comparison you use extreme examples. The very best of early Disney and some of the worst of modern Disney. A more apt comparison would be DL Pirates vs Shanghai Pirates and HM vs Mystic Manor. You may very well believe the earlier versions were better, but at least you are comparing some of the best offerings during their respective time periods.

It's always easy to look back and say things were much better in the past. We don't have the whole picture though. We get to still see the best of classic Disney. The misses they produced in the past are long gone. Meanwhile we get the full spectrum of good and bad of modern WDI.

One thing that does make things harder is the corporate structure. Disney was founded by a creative genius. The structure of a corporate conglomerate in today's Disney can stifle creativity. A lot of the more creative themed entertainment projects are coming out of smaller companies. Partly because they have to be creative due to budget, but also because they have a more conducive environment to spur creativity. It would be really difficult to do at WDI today because of the size it has become, but it would great if they got back to a more intimate workshop type creative atmosphere.

Regardless, I am still looking forward to the show.

lazyboy97o

In your comparison you use extreme examples. The very best of early Disney and some of the worst of modern Disney. A more apt comparison would be DL Pirates vs Shanghai Pirates and HM vs Mystic Manor. You may very well believe the earlier versions were better, but at least you are comparing some of the best offerings during their respective time periods.
Neither of your recent examples are a case of Disney acting alone. Disney should be able to excel without the pressure of third party owners.

RobWDW1971

At times I am disappointed in what they churn out. I also enjoy a lot of the recent product as well.

It's always easy to look back and say things were much better in the past. We don't have the whole picture though. We get to still see the best of classic Disney. The misses they produced in the past are long gone. Meanwhile we get the full spectrum of good and bad of modern WDI.

One thing that does make things harder is the corporate structure. Disney was founded by a creative genius. The structure of a corporate conglomerate in today's Disney can stifle creativity. A lot of the more creative themed entertainment projects are coming out of smaller companies. Partly because they have to be creative due to budget, but also because they have a more conducive environment to spur creativity. It would be really difficult to do at WDI today because of the size it has become, but it would great if they got back to a more intimate workshop type creative atmosphere.

Regardless, I am still looking forward to the show.

Incredicoaster with Jack-Jack on a Stick. Defend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom