Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Phil12

The winds were in excess of 60 mph. WDW never has winds in excess of 60 mph without advance warning.
Sorry, but that is not true. Thunderstorms with extremely heavy downbursts at WDW can arise quickly and without much warning. "During strong thunderstorms, straight line wind speeds can exceed 100 mph."

WDW is well known for its afternoon toad strangling thundershowers. Just make sure your gondola has a lot of weight in it and you'll be fine. It's those lightweight gondolas that detach from the haul rope.

Last edited:

RaveOnEd

A quicker evacuation method has just been announced by Disney, as demonstrated by their newest Cast Member:

Incomudro

Sorry, but that is not true. Thunderstorms with extremely heavy downbursts at WDW can arise quickly and without much warning. "During strong thunderstorms, straight line wind speeds can exceed 100 mph."

WDW is well known for its afternoon toad strangling thundershowers. Just make sure your gondola has a lot of weight in it and you'll be fine. It's those lightweight gondolas that detach from the haul rope.

While I believe the possibility of a gondola striking a tower - and falling - due to high winds in WDW is highly unlikely...
Highly unlikely everywhere.
I did think about the stoppage the other week, and imagined how people in the cars would feel if that stoppage happened and a severe thunderstorm rolled in.
I know that the gondola's are supposed to all head in if a thunderstorm is (correct me if I'm wrong) a 1/2 hour out.
The fact that the gondola's stopped for 3 hours could have subjected the occupants to a severe thunderstorm should one have come through during that period of time.

Rich Brownn

And of course thunderstorms appear in Florida with no warning at all......

Phil12

They can develop very rapidly.
It's best just to plan on a thunderstorm every afternoon at WDW. I got in the habit many years ago of buying a few dozen rain ponchos at my local dollar store prior to any visit to WDW. And a storm can suddenly develop, unleash heavy winds, lightning and rain and then clear out all within 30 minutes. I always carry a few ponchos in my cargo pants at WDW.

And let me add that thunderstorms are often very unpredictable. I have seen instances in which dark clouds are on the horizon and it looks like the storm is headed straight for my location. I put on my poncho and take cover, but the storm never materializes and the clouds pass over harmlessly. On other occasions I have been standing in bright sunshine, and without any warning, a bolt of lightning ensues from the sky and a sudden downpour erupts and I get wet before I can duck into shelter. Those are the uncertainties of dealing with thunderstorms at WDW.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

This is why they should never have built the gondola because of weather like this. It is much perferable, when you have these sudden violent storms, to be at an uncovered (or barely covered) bus stop waiting 15 minutes there for a bus. The bus is so much safer that way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My what if quite plausible in Florida.

And what is the possible outcome from this discussion? More wild guessing and FUD.

The rescue folks already have their rules and procedures for dealing with storms. This is not some 'new discovery' to them.
Disney would also already have a plan in place for 'what to do if the line can not be emptied' - because, this too is not some 'new discovery' to them.

The answers always boil down to the same outcomes... Disney will conclude it is safe to run the line, or they will not, and when appropriate, evacs will happen.

There are no other outcomes... You either get evac'd, or you ride the thing. There is no magic third, fourth, or whatever possible outcome.

If you have to wait.. you wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom