News The 'Disney Look' to be further relaxed at Walt Disney World

GAVB

It’s not about the look, people don’t want to or need to change to work at Disney they will just go work elsewhere. They are hurting for employees and there are not enough workers in Orlando

Lilofan

Alright! Now we've reached Carnie levels!
carnie-shocked.jpg

Can't wait to see them allowing CM's to use their smartphones during work and playing Death Metal in the queue of It's A Small World..
Allowing or not allowing but it's a common sight from what I've seen.

surfsupdon

I don't think the bracelet or necklace and pendant make you "a bad person" who lacks morals. I think it has more to do with keeping an overall theme to the land and the costumed cast members. This is another way to allow personal expression, but that expression will impact the trueness of the land. For example, an Adventureland CM could be wearing a silver necklace with an alien pendant. Small detail, of course, but breaks theme.

Lilofan

I don't think the bracelet or necklace and pendant make you "a bad person" who lacks morals. I think it has more to do with keeping an overall theme to the land and the costumed cast members. This is another way to allow personal expression, but that expression will impact the trueness of the land. For example, an Adventureland CM could be wearing a silver necklace with an alien pendant. Small detail, of course, but breaks theme.
And some cast members will want to promote their own personal causes on their bracelets. And wearing those dog collar gold chains. Nice theming.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Has nothing to do with it. Disney Parks present themselves as a "performance" or a "theatrical presentation," if you will. That's why every worker is called a "cast member." Every Disney park worker plays a critical role in the storytelling throughout the parks. In a sense, they are all a character. And when they are cast, there is a strict costume guideline for them. That includes hair style, facial hair, ect. It is no different than performing onstage. You are performing a role.

If you don't want to perform a role "onstage," then go work for Universal, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, or Sea World. Over there, you can be yourself. But at Disney, you are essentially playing character. If you're an attractions cast member on Pirates of the Caribbean (which is where I was), you don't have a generic outfit. You have a pirate outfit with a vest, knickers, a hat... Disney is your director. You are the actor. The actor performs a character. Actors in plays whether it be broadway or community theatre must abide by a costume/hair/makeup guideline. The same goes for Disney cast members. It's all part of the storytelling.
That's how it was under Uncle Walt. Now that The Weatherman and the Toy Salesman are in charge, the only performance that counts is hitting or exceeding analysts' projections.

tissandtully

Has nothing to do with it. Disney Parks present themselves as a "performance" or a "theatrical presentation," if you will. That's why every worker is called a "cast member." Every Disney park worker plays a critical role in the storytelling throughout the parks. In a sense, they are all a character. And when they are cast, there is a strict costume guideline for them. That includes hair style, facial hair, ect. It is no different than performing onstage. You are performing a role.

If you don't want to perform a role "onstage," then go work for Universal, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, or Sea World. Over there, you can be yourself. But at Disney, you are essentially playing character. If you're an attractions cast member on Pirates of the Caribbean (which is where I was), you don't have a generic outfit. You have a pirate outfit with a vest, knickers, a hat... Disney is your director. You are the actor. The actor performs a character. Actors in plays whether it be broadway or community theatre must abide by a costume/hair/makeup guideline. The same goes for Disney cast members. It's all part of the storytelling.
What role do the morbidly obese CMs play?

MrMcDuck

They’re re-casting. Someone thought they should broaden a bit from the “clean cut white boy or put-together white girl” Walt Disney standard.

Ah, yes, can't have a discussion these days without inserting a bit of the racial garbage. :rolleyes: Truly woke.

Anyway, these changes are a shame, but not surprising given the direction of the parks. Can't wait for the ugly bracelets and pendants that don't work with the rest of the attire. Blech.

ToTBellHop

You were allowed to have facial hair. It just had to be kept up and not sloppy.
That will still be the case. Still can’t look like schnitzel. If you’re worried about stubble being visible, I can load up my reproductive physiology PowerPoint that explains how testosterone leads to male secondary sex characteristics followed by my integumentary system PowerPoint that reviews hair growth.

DisneyDreamerxyz

My friend got sent home from work at Disney because their coordinator said he didn't shave that morning. (he had a very strong 5 o'clock shadow). I've seen leaders make people dry-shave or force them to shave before starting work. I was sent home from work because my hair looked two-toned under the light in the store I was working in, and the leader thought it wasn't Disney Look. One time I lightened my hair and it caused a ton of drama in my location but they didn't make me dye it back ultimately. It's hard enough to work at Disney without having to worry about this stuff....(and you get treated poorly if management decides you did not show up in "Disney Look")

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom