News The 'Disney Look' to be further relaxed at Walt Disney World

ToTBellHop

How is that a choice? Why not just treat employees better to better attract talent who can forego wearing small jewelry or shave?
Do we or do we not complain about rising ticket and resort prices? $1bn lands that flop don’t pay for themselves.

What do you assume about a person with a beard or with a bracelet? Are those marks of drug addicts or child molesters in 2019? Come to think of it, how do most serial killers present themselves?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
What do you assume about a person with a beard or with a bracelet?
Has nothing to do with it. Disney Parks present themselves as a "performance" or a "theatrical presentation," if you will. That's why every worker is called a "cast member." Every Disney park worker plays a critical role in the storytelling throughout the parks. In a sense, they are all a character. And when they are cast, there is a strict costume guideline for them. That includes hair style, facial hair, ect. It is no different than performing onstage. You are performing a role.

If you don't want to perform a role "onstage," then go work for Universal, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, or Sea World. Over there, you can be yourself. But at Disney, you are essentially playing character. If you're an attractions cast member on Pirates of the Caribbean (which is where I was), you don't have a generic outfit. You have a pirate outfit with a vest, knickers, a hat... Disney is your director. You are the actor. The actor performs a character. Actors in plays whether it be broadway or community theatre must abide by a costume/hair/makeup guideline. The same goes for Disney cast members. It's all part of the storytelling.

ToTBellHop

B I N G O .
“Stay away from that man with the bracelet, Timothy! He might damage your morals!”

lebeau

How is that a choice? Why not just treat employees better to better attract talent who can forego wearing small jewelry or shave?

By "treat employees better" I assume you mean pay them more. There's a limited talent pool in Orlando and Universal is about to begin hiring for a new park. Increased demand means Disney will either have to increase wages or loosen their requirements (or both).

ToTBellHop

Has nothing to do with it. Disney Parks present themselves as a "performance" or a "theatrical presentation," if you will. That's why every worker is called a "cast member." Every Disney park worker plays a critical role in the storytelling throughout the parks. In a sense, they are all a character. And when they are cast, there is a strict costume guideline for them. That includes hair style, facial hair, ect. It is no different than performing onstage. You are performing a role.

If you don't want to perform a role "onstage," then go work for Universal, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, or Sea World. Over there, you can be yourself. But at Disney, you are essentially playing character. If you're an attractions cast member on Pirates of the Caribbean (which is where I was), you don't have a generic outfit. You have a pirate outfit with a vest, knickers, a hat... Disney is your director. You are the actor. The actor performs a character. Actors in plays whether it be broadway or community theatre must abide by a costume/hair/makeup guideline. The same goes for Disney cast members. It's all part of the storytelling.
They’re re-casting. Someone thought they should broaden a bit from the “clean cut white boy or put-together white girl” Walt Disney standard.

lazyboy97o

Do we or do we not complain about rising ticket and resort prices? $1bn lands that flop don’t pay for themselves.

What do you assume about a person with a beard or with a bracelet? Are those marks of drug addicts or child molesters in 2019? Come to think of it, how do most serial killers present themselves?
Again, not a real choice. Disney can treat employees better without raising prices.

The assumption is about the person who will be convinced to take the job over being able to wear a bracelet. It’s an attempt to make Disney seem like a more relaxed work environment while introducing more elements that potentially contradict the designed environment.

By "treat employees better" I assume you mean pay them more. There's a limited talent pool in Orlando and Universal is about to begin hiring for a new park. Increased demand means Disney will either have to increase wages or loosen their requirements (or both).
If I meant that I would have said that. Disney’s general attitude towards its front-line employees is lousy.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Surface appearance, for the most part, means little. I'm not talking extremes such as multiple chunks of large metal through ones face/ears, facial tattoos, mohawks or the such, but not everyone should look like Ned Flanders.

The labor pool in Orlando isnt infinite, lots of companies are competing for those same bodies these days.

lazyboy97o

Surface appearance, for the most part, means little. I'm not talking extremes such as multiple chunks of large metal through ones face/ears, facial tattoos, mohawks or the such, but not everyone should look like Ned Flanders.

The labor pool in Orlando isnt infinite, lots of companies are competing for those same bodies these days.
And being able to wear a bracelet is where they’re competing?

ToTBellHop

Wearing bracelets and necklaces or growing a beard after starting the job is a race thing?
No. They’ve broadened their standard since 1955. This is the latest iteration. You make it out as though there are a ton of clean shaven kids in Central Florida who won’t work for $11 an hour but will work for $15 an hour. Or for an employer who provides two extra employee parties.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
They’re re-casting. Someone thought they should broaden a bit from the “clean cut white boy or put-together white girl” Walt Disney standard.
So they're now Universal and no Fs are given. Got it. (-:

There is nothing wrong with clean cut. It makes the parks seem more professional. Whether you like it or not, a majority of society prefers a stereotypical professional look over, say, hot topic workers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom