Something needs to change with MK close on non Party Nights

Touchdown

Original Poster
I was at MK tonight and while the park did not seem crowded, the closing was a you know what show. They are currently blocking anyone not staying at a monorail resort from using the Resort Line, which was great for me as a Contemporary guest, but this resulted in the line to the ferry and express monorail clogging up the entire entry way and lead to frustrated people faking handicap status (trust me, it was someone faking, they somehow got on the platform with a MK wheelchair and she was fit and in her 20s) to try and get on resort line (didn’t work, got kicked out of line) and people walking to the contemporary to board the monorail overwhelming that station (the line for security spilled into the concourse and the entire queue full upstairs.) Mind you I exited the park at 10:45.

I feel that this is entirely predictable given the popularity of October trips, the limited HEAs and more importantly to far too short length of time between fireworks and close. There is simply not enough time for the firework rush to clear before the closing rush hits. They need to either extend the hours to 11pm or move HEA to 8:00. They should do what they did 2 years ago, HEA, hour later OUaT, hour later close. It’s not safe to dump that many people onto a severely restricted area due to construction. This is also only going to continue To happen through the holidays.

Fable McCloud

My first trip was back in 2007, and I remember they did the Wishes show twice. That was perfect because it gave people the opportunity to sort of thin out and space out the exiting of the park. Crowd dispersion was better, and it made everything overall less hectic. I really do wish they would do HEA twice a night.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
. . .as if they need a reason. :hilarious:

An additional gate would be nice.
87434BE1-482A-4EA7-9CE8-D214D93B4D44.jpeg

drizgirl

Of course it's predictable. Disney has an idea of how many people will be there. That's the very sort of data My Magic Plus provides. Disney is willing to accept that level of chaos if it saves them the cost of keeping the park open another hour or two. There are things they can do to mitigate the impact of those crowds. But that's not as high a priority as shaving off a little more overhead.

Hank Hill

Pneumatic tubes and catapults are the next wave in Disney transportation. Quickly get people out of there.

When is the walking bridge to GF opening. I could see that being a viable option for me. I would walk back to my car when things are that crazy.

jloucks

You can't always see a persons disability. They may look healthy but aren't. Just my 2 pence.
You are completely correct of course, but what many of us see pushes the envelope of probability.

If I were handicapped, I would be conscious of public perception. As in, I would keep the jumping up out of my scooter and flitting about seemingly effortlessly to a minimum. Especially in high crowd stress situations.

This story is a bit unusual in the person in question was in an actual wheelchair. Scooters are ripe for abuse, but wheelchairs not so much. I'm thinking with those it is glaringly legit or glaringly fake.

PrincessNelly_NJ

You are completely correct of course, but what many of us see pushes the envelope of probability.

If I were handicapped, I would be conscious of public perception. As in, I would keep the jumping up out of my scooter and flitting about seemingly effortlessly to a minimum. Especially in high crowd stress situations.

This story is a bit unusual in the person in question was in an actual wheelchair. Scooters are ripe for abuse, but wheelchairs not so much. I'm thinking with those it is glaringly legit or glaringly fake.
Navigating the parks with scooters & wheelchairs suck. Not to mention the scooters are pricey. What would be the benefit of faking handicap status?

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We are members at BLT and never use the monorail to go to and from the MK. Seems to me if I were NOT a member at BLT I would just simply see the huge crowd at the monorail line and walk to Contemporary, board it there, and then go to the TTC from there. That way you avoid the huge line and will also have a place to sit when the lazy Contemporary guests get off the monorail instead of walk. You're welcome for the life hack. Also the sidewalk to GF is gonna probably alleviate the clog at the end of the night too IF people aren't too lazy to use it. The walk to BLT is actually a really quick and relaxing one.

NickMaio

I was at MK tonight and while the park did not seem crowded, the closing was a you know what show. They are currently blocking anyone not staying at a monorail resort from using the Resort Line, which was great for me as a Contemporary guest, but this resulted in the line to the ferry and express monorail clogging up the entire entry way and lead to frustrated people faking handicap status (trust me, it was someone faking, they somehow got on the platform with a MK wheelchair and she was fit and in her 20s) to try and get on resort line (didn’t work, got kicked out of line) and people walking to the contemporary to board the monorail overwhelming that station (the line for security spilled into the concourse and the entire queue full upstairs.) Mind you I exited the park at 10:45.

I feel that this is entirely predictable given the popularity of October trips, the limited HEAs and more importantly to far too short length of time between fireworks and close. There is simply not enough time for the firework rush to clear before the closing rush hits. They need to either extend the hours to 11pm or move HEA to 8:00. They should do what they did 2 years ago, HEA, hour later OUaT, hour later close. It’s not safe to dump that many people onto a severely restricted area due to construction. This is also only going to continue To happen through the holidays.

So listen up all fit people in their 20's - - - - apparently you can not have a disability or physical issue.
Faking handicap status - - - The medical community really needs your astute powers of observation and insane judgement.
That craziness aside - - - the MK can be an absolute S-Show to get out of. Sometimes it's awful, sometimes it's ok.

I absolutely hate this priority garbage that WDW has been pulling lately. Everyone should get to use all transportation to get out of the MK. It is just TOO hectic otherwise. A nasty experience that can taint an otherwise good WDW day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom