News Primeval Whirl at Disney's Animal Kingdom experiencing extended downtime

Goofyque'

Slower? Interesting. How's that work?
No idea. But it was clearly much slower, and less rough. We had ridden Goofy's Flight School at DL just a month or so ago. I could not figure out what was different at Prime, but it clearly was slower during the first half, and way less impact.

Rescue Ranger

I have to wonder how long they will keep Planet Watch around before they completely revamp it into a new experience/land. Probably many years away, if at all. I'm sure it will happen though at some point. For the record, I actually really enjoy Planet Watch and viewing the surgeries is always an amazing experience.

bpiper

Restraints were the same. Felt much smoother, and definitely slower. A very enjoyable ride, tried to look at the tracks and the tires, but unable to figure out what was different.

Interesting.

Smoother might be because they replaced the nylon wheel sets which might have been getting beat up.

Rough roller coasters are many times caused by the owners being cheap and not replacing the wheel sets until they absolutely have to. They are not cheap.

Slower might be because of increased trim break use. The ride is much slower than when it originally opened...

So, I wonder if the downtime was caused by the other report I saw, someone claimed that a part fell off of the upper trim break assembly to the ground. If true, then Disney and the ride manufacturer would have to perform a metallurgical analysis of the fractured part to see what caused it. Maybe poor welding, stress fracture or impurity in the metal. Then address it.

The ride has had issues before. Sections of it were rebuilt, both the track and supports. I suspect that the stresses of the cars were causing metal fatigue in areas of the ride. I wonder if the custom decorated cars that Disney uses are heavier than the normal generic cars and are putting too much stress on the track.

Purduevian

They should double down on DAK with a major expansion

Of the 4 parks... DAK is in the lest need of a major expansion right now.
-MK needs high capacity NEW family rides, just look at the waits for the 7 year old seven dwarfs.

-EPCOT is currently getting it's big update... but will it be enough. They need some more top tier rides of which they will only have 2 (TT and GoTGCR). EPCOT needs it's 3rd heavy hitter and I'm not sure RAT is enough, Frozen and Soarin just don't cut it compared to the other parks.

-DHS is incredibility top heavy with 4 E tickets (ToT, RnRC, MMRR, RotR), 3 Eish/Dish tickets (SDD, TSMM, MFSR), and only 1 C ticket (Alien). DHS needs it's Fantasyland with 3-4 B and C ticket rides. The park is underbuilt with only 7 Rides

AK has the best balance of the non MK parks. 3 E tickets (FoP, EE, KS), 2 solid D tickets (KRR, Dinosaur), and 3 C/D tickets (PW, TriSpin, NRJ). Couple that with animal walking trails and the best 2 stage shows on property (fight me).

RSoxNo1

Of the 4 parks... DAK is in the lest need of a major expansion right now.
-MK needs high capacity NEW family rides, just look at the waits for the 7 year old seven dwarfs.

-EPCOT is currently getting it's big update... but will it be enough. They need some more top tier rides of which they will only have 2 (TT and GoTGCR). EPCOT needs it's 3rd heavy hitter and I'm not sure RAT is enough, Frozen and Soarin just don't cut it compared to the other parks.

-DHS is incredibility top heavy with 4 E tickets (ToT, RnRC, MMRR, RotR), 3 Eish/Dish tickets (SDD, TSMM, MFSR), and only 1 C ticket (Alien). DHS needs it's Fantasyland with 3-4 B and C ticket rides. The park is underbuilt with only 7 Rides

AK has the best balance of the non MK parks. 3 E tickets (FoP, EE, KS), 2 solid D tickets (KRR, Dinosaur), and 3 C/D tickets (PW, TriSpin, NRJ). Couple that with animal walking trails and the best 2 stage shows on property (fight me).
I actually feel the next announced ride should be at the Animal Kingdom. It had the 3rd highest attendance of any theme park in the country, and it has 9 rides if you count the train. The Asia / Dinoland side needs another substantial draw.

I've long stated that MK needs a lot of Little Mermaid type rides. I say that offering no commentary on Little Mermaid itself, but I mean, high capacity D tickets without a height requirement. My time and time again suggestion is to expand Fantasyland by either moving it's a small world and/or the Speedway. The former would fit in Epcot, a version of the latter would be a welcome addition in some form to DHS. Rounding out Fantasyland with larger capacity dark rides would help tremendously. Alternatively, adding large capacity rides to Adventureland or Tomorrowland would also be a huge benefit.

It sounds like Epcot has more additions in the works over and above what's been announced. I have many concerns about Epcot's future, but there's quite a bit unknown. I'm also assuming Brazil and an Imagination overhaul are coming in 4-5 years.

I largely agree on DHS, but you forgot Star Tours and this time next year it will have 9 rides. The not-Bantha ride for Galaxy's Edge would be welcome, as would a bunch of show updates.

BromBones

I actually feel the next announced ride should be at the Animal Kingdom. It had the 3rd highest attendance of any theme park in the country, and it has 9 rides if you count the train. The Asia / Dinoland side needs another substantial draw.

I've long stated that MK needs a lot of Little Mermaid type rides. I say that offering no commentary on Little Mermaid itself, but I mean, high capacity D tickets without a height requirement. My time and time again suggestion is to expand Fantasyland by either moving it's a small world and/or the Speedway. The former would fit in Epcot, a version of the latter would be a welcome addition in some form to DHS. Rounding out Fantasyland with larger capacity dark rides would help tremendously. Alternatively, adding large capacity rides to Adventureland or Tomorrowland would also be a huge benefit.

It sounds like Epcot has more additions in the works over and above what's been announced. I have many concerns about Epcot's future, but there's quite a bit unknown. I'm also assuming Brazil and an Imagination overhaul are coming in 4-5 years.

I largely agree on DHS, but you forgot Star Tours and this time next year it will have 9 rides. The not-Bantha ride for Galaxy's Edge would be welcome, as would a bunch of show updates.

I agree. MK took the easy way out with New Fantasyland. They should have given us more there. Instead we have a big restaurant. Another quick service resturant (Gaston's). Storytime with Bell which is not really family-centric it is more kids only. The Little Mermaid ride which is just okay. I think they missed out on the opportunity at the end to give us a Giant Ursula like in the movie for example.
Then the Mine Train coaster is just okay. I would have liked to have seen more there.

Disney has a pattern of building new areas and only including two rides and at least two places to eat.
They had the opportunity to do a lot with Star Wars Land....but again took the easy/lazy way out.
They also made it Generic Space Adventure Land because from what I have seen and heart there isn't much that says Star Wars there except the Millennium Falcon.

RSoxNo1

I agree. MK took the easy way out with New Fantasyland. They should have given us more there. Instead we have a big restaurant. Another quick service resturant (Gaston's). Storytime with Bell which is not really family-centric it is more kids only. The Little Mermaid ride which is just okay. I think they missed out on the opportunity at the end to give us a Giant Ursula like in the movie for example.
Then the Mine Train coaster is just okay. I would have liked to have seen more there.

Disney has a pattern of building new areas and only including two rides and at least two places to eat.
They had the opportunity to do a lot with Star Wars Land....but again took the easy/lazy way out.
They also made it Generic Space Adventure Land because from what I have seen and heart there isn't much that says Star Wars there except the Millennium Falcon.
The real missed opportunity for me was not including a C-ticket Speedway type attraction in Toy Story Land. Being able to weave it in and around Slinky Dog Dash would have been awesome and would have opened up a huge area of Fantasyland adjacent land. Now, if they do truly do the Tron-esque update and make it look futuristic in Tomorrowland I'm ok with that as well.

As for the it's a small world removal, I think you could transition the Beauty and the Beast rockwork as the backdrop into Arendelle, then transition that into a Tangled area. There would be room for a Frozen, Tangled and Beauty and the Beast attraction in that area, theoretically giving them a 6000 guest per hour capacity boost at the cost of it's a small world (around 2400).

atlien

I would have no problem if they replaced Dino Land. Pandora is okay, but I think Disney missed the mark. I expected a lot more based on the concept art.
While NRJ is a little disappointing I'm not sure how Disney missed the mark with Pandora. It's theming is incredibly well done. It's E-ticket attraction has set the standard for screen based rides and it somehow works with the overall theme of the AK. I hope any updates or changes made to Dinoland are of the same quality of Pandora.

BromBones

According to some cast members dinoland usa as a whole is practically on its death bed. not sure for how much longer. The only thing I really like about dinoland is dinosaur

Well that would be good news. I would rather they replace Dinosaur with the Indiana Jones ride from DisneyLand since I heard it was basically the same track layout.
Then replace Dinoland with something else, even an Indiana Jones themed world or move the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular there from Hollywood Studios and replace the Indiana Jones location and expand Star Wars Land.

They won't, but I'd like to see that.

BromBones

While NRJ is a little disappointing I'm not sure how Disney missed the mark with Pandora. It's theming is incredibly well done. It's E-ticket attraction has set the standard for screen based rides and it somehow works with the overall theme of the AK. I hope any updates or changes made to Dinoland are of the same quality of Pandora.

My biggest problem with Pandora is the bio-luminescent effect. It's not as impressive as it should be and if you look at the ground it is just black light paint illuminated by black lights hanging from the trees.
I expected a LOT more based on their concept designs. I have not been able to ride the Flights of Passage because I am too tall.
And Navi River Journey is pretty but quite dull.

I would have preferred if they would have built a massive, self contained hangar sized building and when you walk into Pandora you are actually transported to an alien world with a different climate, immersive effects, animatronic native creatures moving around and the alien night sky with different planets projected overhead.

To me, while they did an okay job, I think they took the easy way out with Pandora.

The Grand Inquisitor

According to some cast members dinoland usa as a whole is practically on its death bed. not sure for how much longer. The only thing I really like about dinoland is dinosaur
Yeah they should just get rid of the ride. I wouldn't be shocked if Disney forced some ip into the area like Ice Age( which was suggested by Jim Hill). I would rather see the area be re themed to Zootopia or something original like the amazon rain forest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom