The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

I can’t believe I forgot to post this from today!

I thought of @dryerlintfan and @Tuvalu when I saw this! (I asked permission to take the picture because I don’t know these kids!)
View attachment 417957

Whoa! When we were at Uni I was hoping that the place that had humongous sized cotton candy would be open so I could get it for my kids. That is amazing. I wouldn’t have let them eat it all of course, but it would have made an amazing picture. That candy is half the size of those kids! They have to be over 4 feet tall too.

Songbird76

No clue. I do know that there is a way around it. My neighbor has a kid in the cheer program my dd is in. Her dd is on a higher level team. Last year they were required to stay at a certain hotel. She and her dd were listed in the room with another parent and team member. She just never stayed in the room. She rented a small house through air bnb with her husband and other 4 kids. When you check in , the hotel doesn’t need to see everyone. It is just the travel company that needs to see all the kids booked.
But wouldn't you still have to pay your share of the hotel room even if you didn't stay in it? Otherwise some have to pay more than others.

I guess there is drama everywhere, and not just on the theater stage or tv. I thought cheer was bad. Wow.
Yeah, there's a lot of drama involved in music. There's also the instrumentalists against the vocalists...the instrumentalists, at least at my University, considered the vocalists to be second rate musicians because theory is not really used as much with singers. It doesn't matter in which key you sing, the scale is the same. You don't have to know which notes are flat or sharp. There's no embouchure to work on, or fingerings, or scales, and you don't have to know key signatures. We still had to learn it all as music majors, obviously, but just to sing in a choir, you wouldn't necessarily need to know it. So I was dating an instrumentalist and he didn't want to go to choir functions with me, like when we went bowling, because he was an instrumentalist. Just so petty. And some of the professors favored the instrumentalists over the vocalists. My composition and arrangement professor wouldn't let the vocalists do vocal arrangements. We had to do band arrangements, because he felt that band was more important. And he gave better grades to the instrumentalists, even if their arrangements weren't as good. My ex put off one of the assignments until the night before it was due, and the lab was only open for a couple of hours. He did the whole assignment in an hour and a half, it was almost all in unison, and he got an A, where I had spent hours each day working on mine, and actually had harmonies and such in it, and I got a B. My boyfriend even admitted his work was not good, he hadn't put any effort into it, and mine was way better, but he got the A, because he was an instrumentalist. I don't know if it's like that in other places, but where I went to school, instrumentalists and vocalists did not mix, and there was a lot of cattiness and such among the musicians in ALL the areas...Jazz band wasn't considered as serious as orchestra...vocalists are the bottom rung on the ladder....
Perhaps @SteveBrickNJ could enlighten me as to whether that's a universal thing among musicians, or if it was just the social environment where I went to school?

Songbird76

I can’t believe I forgot to post this from today!

I thought of @dryerlintfan and @Tuvalu when I saw this! (I asked permission to take the picture because I don’t know these kids!)
View attachment 417957
Wow, that's MASSIVE! I could never get one of those. A won't eat cotton candy, so it would be just E. I could help her eat it, but that's too much, even for both of us. How many does this feed? 10? It's awesome though!

MySmallWorldof4

But wouldn't you still have to pay your share of the hotel room even if you didn't stay in it? Otherwise some have to pay more than others.

Yeah, there's a lot of drama involved in music. There's also the instrumentalists against the vocalists...the instrumentalists, at least at my University, considered the vocalists to be second rate musicians because theory is not really used as much with singers. It doesn't matter in which key you sing, the scale is the same. You don't have to know which notes are flat or sharp. There's no embouchure to work on, or fingerings, or scales, and you don't have to know key signatures. We still had to learn it all as music majors, obviously, but just to sing in a choir, you wouldn't necessarily need to know it. So I was dating an instrumentalist and he didn't want to go to choir functions with me, like when we went bowling, because he was an instrumentalist. Just so petty. And some of the professors favored the instrumentalists over the vocalists. My composition and arrangement professor wouldn't let the vocalists do vocal arrangements. We had to do band arrangements, because he felt that band was more important. And he gave better grades to the instrumentalists, even if their arrangements weren't as good. My ex put off one of the assignments until the night before it was due, and the lab was only open for a couple of hours. He did the whole assignment in an hour and a half, it was almost all in unison, and he got an A, where I had spent hours each day working on mine, and actually had harmonies and such in it, and I got a B. My boyfriend even admitted his work was not good, he hadn't put any effort into it, and mine was way better, but he got the A, because he was an instrumentalist. I don't know if it's like that in other places, but where I went to school, instrumentalists and vocalists did not mix, and there was a lot of cattiness and such among the musicians in ALL the areas...Jazz band wasn't considered as serious as orchestra...vocalists are the bottom rung on the ladder....
Perhaps @SteveBrickNJ could enlighten me as to whether that's a universal thing among musicians, or if it was just the social environment where I went to school?
I have no idea how the finances were handled. My guess is the athlete and mom who said the other girl and mom were staying in the room brought her dh and other kid. So they were 4 anyway and just paid for the room.
I guess cattiness is everywhere, as many people are competitive.

MySmallWorldof4

Wow, that's MASSIVE! I could never get one of those. A won't eat cotton candy, so it would be just E. I could help her eat it, but that's too much, even for both of us. How many does this feed? 10? It's awesome though!

I am not sure anyone would have the intention of eating it all. It sure looks amazing in a picture, and maybe that is why people buy it? That is why I would. I wonder if they could make cotton candy with sugar substitutes? I would eat one made with date sugar, because that is technically just fruit. 😉

Goofyernmost

How sad. Yes, my uncle also had "shell shock" and his doctor prescribed getting a dog. Apparently having something to care for and nurture can help focus the person on that rather than on the trauma, and dogs can help break them out of a flashback. So my uncle always had a dog. He never talked about the war. He was always such a gentle, sweet man, so it's hard for me to see him in a war setting. He was 13 years older than my mom, and their father died when my mom was 2, so her 2 older brothers were kind of father figures for her. This uncle was the oldest brother, and he sent her things from Europe...wooden shoes, lace gloves, a charm bracelet...and he paid for my mom's piano lessons and I believe he taught her to drive, but I'm not sure about that one. Her other brother was only 10 years older than her, and he was too young to enlist, though he wanted to. My grandmother wouldn't give him permission and the war ended just before he came of age.
My dad's brother was the other one who fought in WWII, and I know he was in Europe, but I'm not sure where. He came back with alcohol problems, too. He died much younger than his siblings because of the complications, though he had been sober for decades before his passing. (His third wife was the one who handed out nickels at Halloween.) He lived in our town, and volunteered at the elementary school, and taught leather and woodworking in boy scouts or 4H...maybe both. But he was very active in the community once he was sober, and he lived next door to my brother's best friend, whose dad was also a recovering alcoholic, so they supported and helped each other with sobriety. I remember he used to drive a tractor all over town and I found out later that it was because he had lost his drivers license due to drunk driving, and he didn't need a license to drive the tractor, which couldn't be driven on the street. But our town was small enough that he could use that tractor as transportation wherever he needed to go. I didn't know as a kid that my uncle actually had children, they were all just grown up before I came along, and they had nothing to do with their dad because of the alcoholism. So for the longest time, I didn't know I had cousins on my dad's side....I thought my dad was the only one who had kids, but his siblings both did...they just didn't really have much contact with the family. When my uncle died, all the kids came to the funeral with their families, and I was shocked to learn I had cousins!
It's kind of sad to think that all that was probably at least partly because of the war. If he hadn't been a soldier, he may not have taken up drinking to cope, and then he might have had a great relationship with his kids, and I would have had cousins to play with growing up. (His kids had kids my age.) The war certainly took its toll on families, even decades after it was over.
All wars do that! People die, are maimed, psychologically, permanently damaged, socially dysfunctional. Some were lucky enough to find a path in life that de-emphasized the bad stuff, put it in a back corner of their minds and enabled them to live normal (whatever that is) lives. But to many it is a life long struggle. Those that couldn't pay someone to give them bone spurs, did what had to be done, but few ended up ever morally supporting the destruction that wars create. Some are necessary to save people from massive oppression, but most are just political games that come at a very high price.

SteveBrickNJ

I doubt that it is a universal thing. Back in Music College I admit that I privately thought that we Instrumental Majors had a more challenging path...I had to learn to play woodwind, percussion, brass, and even the violin and the cello. Over 4 years that was a lot of time spent in the practice rooms. Yet I did not look down on the Voice Majors. Additionally there was a girl I would have gladly dated. IF she had been interested in me I would have gladly attended any vocal event with her. Observing others...sure its natural the trumpet players are more likely to meet and make friends with other instrumentalists but there were friendships between the 2 majors here and there. No social divisions that I recall. Additionally I never observed a professor treating instrumentalists more favorably than vocalists.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Hey gang! It's been a fun but tiring weekend. Some of my college roommates visited this weekend. It was fun to see them but I can tell I've definitely turned into a homebody since we all used to live together many moons ago. We stayed out late listening to live music in the area, did some shopping, and visited some local breweries in my area. And we go snow....yucky! It didn't stick to the ground so that was nice but it did make it colder and seeing those flakes wasn't something I wanted to see in early October.

93boomer

Premium Member
Hey gang! It's been a fun but tiring weekend. Some of my college roommates visited this weekend. It was fun to see them but I can tell I've definitely turned into a homebody since we all used to live together many moons ago. We stayed out late listening to live music in the area, did some shopping, and visited some local breweries in my area. And we go snow....yucky! It didn't stick to the ground so that was nice but it did make it colder and seeing those flakes wasn't something I wanted to see in early October.
Aww nice you got all together! Ugh too early for snow for me! 😎

wdwfan4ver

I bought more gourmet Popcorn since my Door County popcorn stash is going down🍿:).

I didn't buy this stash at Door county though.

I bought popcorn from this from a local popcorn store that has been around since 1952 and is known for its popcorn. I had their popcorn before and it is great stuff

I bought Ranch flavored popcorn, Savory Cheddar Cheese Popcorn, blue berry sweet corn popcorn, Savory Bacon and Cheddar popcorn. All of them are in vacuum sealed bags.

MySmallWorldof4

I was always a homebody.

Rista1313

I bought more gourmet Popcorn since my Door County popcorn stash is going down🍿:).

I didn't buy this stash at Door county though.

I bought popcorn from this from a local popcorn store that has been around since 1952 and is known for its popcorn. I had their popcorn before and it is great stuff

I bought Ranch flavored popcorn, Savory Cheddar Cheese Popcorn, blue berry sweet corn popcorn, Savory Bacon and Cheddar popcorn. All of them are in vacuum sealed bags.

We have a place like that here... Grand Rapids Popcorn company... we go crazy when we take a trip over there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom