Sad State of The Grand Floridian

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the past year, I've stayed at the Floridan twice, Outer building club and main building club, and have really noticed how run down the "flagship" resort is. The hard goods in the room are really worn down furniture scratches, peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, and a bathroom that 1989 wants back. The buildings themselves have worn carpeting, peeling and chipped paint, and just feel worn and over used.

The Cast Members are still top notch, but having visited Grand Destino Tower and seeing what a new Disney Hotel is capable of, the flagship WDW resort doesn't feel so special anymore. There have been rumors of a total gut job coming to GF, hopefully this resort can get some much needed updating (sans IP) so it doesn't feel like it's 30 years old.

Lilofan

In the past year, I've stayed at the Floridan twice, Outer building club and main building club, and have really noticed how run down the "flagship" resort is. The hard goods in the room are really worn down furniture scratches, peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, and a bathroom that 1989 wants back. The buildings themselves have worn carpeting, peeling and chipped paint, and just feel worn and over used.

The Cast Members are still top notch, but having visited Grand Destino Tower and seeing what a new Disney Hotel is capable of, the flagship WDW resort doesn't feel so special anymore. There have been rumors of a total gut job coming to GF, hopefully this resort can get some much needed updating (sans IP) so it doesn't feel like it's 30 years old.
If you want to visit a luxurious property minutes away, the Four Seasons makes GF look like a Holiday Inn.

John park hopper

But Disney can't afford to keep it at a high standard ---they only made (as Carl Sagan would say) billions and billions in profits

ToTBellHop

$900/night only goes so far and they just opened the Beauty and the Beast lounge that Grand Fla. guests have been demanding for 25 years.

Survey results I received:

What would you most-definitely like to see at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa?

71% Beauty and the Beast Lounge
22% 3-ply toilet paper
7% directions to the Harry Potter Land at the Studios

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
$900/night only goes so far and they just opened the Beauty and the Beast lounge that Grand Fla. guests have been demanding for 25 years.

Survey results I received:

What would you most-definitely like to see at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa?

71% Beauty and the Beast Lounge
22% 3-ply toilet paper
7% directions to the Harry Potter Land at the Studios
On a tear this morning aren’t you?

eliza61nyc

I had a great stay there but I used my points. didn't see any of those issues but I always admit, I doubt if I'd notice 1/2 the stuff folks here notice.

Sorry it missed the mark for you, we thought it was a great resort
cruising 493.JPG

20170515_172327.jpg
20170519_064829.jpg
20170519_064842.jpg
cruising 518.JPG
grand floridian lobby.JPG
cruising 500.JPG

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
I had a great stay there but I used my points. didn't see any of those issues but I always admit, I doubt if I'd notice 1/2 the stuff folks here notice.

Sorry it missed the mark for you, we thought it was a great resortView attachment 417291

View attachment 417285View attachment 417286View attachment 417287View attachment 417288View attachment 417289View attachment 417292

Those room pictures appear to be from the DVC Villas at the GF, and they are fantastic, but they are not what I'm talking about. Plus they're only around 8 years old. I'm talking about the 30 year old buildings and rooms in the non-DVC hotel section of the resort.

DisneyFreak

I would have to agree. I just stayed here a couple weeks ago for a work function. Stayed in the out building over by the convention center. Had a wonderful view of the Marina from the 3rd floor. The grounds looked beautiful, fresh flowers in the lobby of the out building the entire stay and the staff all over the resort was top notch but the room itself was worn down. Since the room didn't cost me a dime I was okay with it but if I had to spend $600-$700 (going rate for that weekend) I would not have been too pleased. I did mentioned something at checkout (both good and bad) and they did admit that that particular building gets more traffic as they try and put all convention/event guests in that building due to the proximity. They said that the GF is due for renovations which may be starting in 2020.

ppete1975

eliza61nyc

Those room pictures appear to be from the DVC Villas at the GF, and they are fantastic, but they are not what I'm talking about. Plus they're only around 8 years old. I'm talking about the 30 year old buildings and rooms in the non-DVC hotel section of the resort.
lol, hey I looked a lot better 30 years ago also. The hotel is on supposedly on schedule for an update. teh pool area was done a few years ago. My understanding was that the Conch key building (#7) was done recently.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
lol, hey I looked a lot better 30 years ago also. The hotel is on supposedly on schedule for an update. teh pool area was done a few years ago. My understanding was that the Conch key building (#7) was done recently.
Where’d you get that information?

same place you got the info that WDW hasn’t had a night parade in 20 years I guess?

Lilofan

It's unreal the disparity in amenities and even service. FS is the best hotel in Central Florida, without question.
I thought the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes Orlando where I stayed during a business convention was tops, but the Four Seasons at Disney takes the top prize. At the Capa Bar, the staff member even said Bob Iger stays at FS when he is in town.

Last edited:

daisyduckie

Every hotel in America gets the same reviews when due for a refurb which it sounds like GF is overdue. Disney will only increase the frequency of returbs when guests speak with their wallets and book elsewhere.

People have cows when their favorite resort is going thru a refurb too. I think they try to stretch it to avoid that, but end up going too far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom