Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Dragonman

@marni1971 Do you know if anything in the descent or 180 top is salvageable? Seems like it could be a roman chariot type deal where it could be restored.

Well they could repair and repaint the space station, I’m not sure how much of the overhang ceiling part of it is left however. The cylinder part is mostly intact aside from a part cut out near the top for one of the blue light support bars.

The moon surface and cutouts are still there and have never been painted so that’s really all that would need to be done to them.

Window girl is still in there so she could be repaired, reprogrammed, and given new coverings.

This is all dependent on the team working on the new version and if they even know any of this stuff is still up there to begin with however.

Last edited:

trainplane3

Why is there chicken wire up there? I don’t recall chickens being in the ride. That was more of a World of Motion type of thing.
It supported various lighting elements.
Like this. From some unknown Youtuber 🙃...
Screen-Shot-2017-04-15-at-12.42.17-PM-768x357.png

The site that credits said unknown Youtuber: https://themeparkuniversity.com/dis...y-detailed-uncovered-new-martin-smith-videos/

WDW Monorail

Why is there chicken wire up there? I don’t recall chickens being in the ride. That was more of a World of Motion type of thing.

The wire lathe has been there for a very long time. One poster decided to mention it and the sheep mentality of many here caused lots of people to complain in this thread and elsewhere about how the suppport system is ugly as a result of the 2007 refurbishment. Reality is that the support system isnt any more visible than it used to be in prior versions of the ride. In my opinion I think it is less visible.

Disnerd2003

The wire lathe has been there for a very long time. One poster decided to mention it and the sheep mentality of many here caused lots of people to complain in this thread and elsewhere about how the suppport system is ugly as a result of the 2007 refurbishment. Reality is that the support system isnt any more visible than it used to be in prior versions of the ride. In my opinion I think it is less visible.
Any pics of what it looks like now or where to find it?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Or we could hope it's restored to the Jeremy Irons descent. If some of it is still installed I'm willing to bet a lot of the stuff they removed is laying in a warehouse somewhere.
Well, it's a shame that when you have what is, essentially, a huge planetarium dome, they didn't put a planetarium projector in it...

aladdin2007

Here’s a flash pic of it actually showing the wire:
View attachment 416987

There is confusion because thats not the chicken wire that was being referred to. All of that came out with the 07 refurb. Currently the chicken wire is above your head, after that original future city section through the tunnel before you turn back around and approach the unload. There is visible trash on top and broken pieces of whatever, where a few little lights dangle which sometimes work sometimes dont. Been that way since it reopened after the 07 refurb.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There is confusion because thats not the chicken wire that was being referred to. All of that came out with the 07 refurb. Currently the chicken wire is above your head, after that original future city section through the tunnel before you turn back around and approach the unload. There is visible trash on top and broken pieces of whatever, where a few little lights dangle which sometimes work sometimes dont. Been that way since it reopened after the 07 refurb.
Both of you are right. The chicken wire was in multiple sections which all supported the same main lighting effect; the swooping laser that emanated from the city was meant to (When it worked) continue down the descent vortex section above the ride path until the neon cables replaced it near where cars levelled out.

Dragonman

Wanted to provide a little further analysis of these two photos:

In the first picture the station appears to be painted darker for some odd reason, either due to the quality of the film, darkness of the ride, or perhaps this was taken near 1994. Also by looking closely she did in fact have two orange spotlights: A short one pointed at her upper body and a longer one angled slightly higher aimed at her head. Although from the best available video footage only the left one appears to be working:

I am not sure what the two squares on the upper part of the cylinder are supposed to be but possibly more lighting rigs?

Last edited:

Disnerd2003

In the first picture the station appears to be painted darker for some odd reason, either due to the quality of the film, darkness of the ride, or perhaps this was taken near 1994.
Wait was the station repainted around the mid 90's? I don't see why they would've because Irons' version was about to come out. I don't remember it ever being a different color. Unless if in the Irons update the space station was painted black and the astronauts were removed, but the window wasn't painted over because they figured it was too dark to see it, which they rectified in 2007 when they hung the blue lights.

yensidtlaw1969

Wanted to provide a little further analysis of these two photos:
View attachment 417733In the first picture the station appears to be painted darker for some odd reason, either due to the quality of the film, darkness of the ride, or perhaps this was taken near 1994.

I believe that photo is a composite, with an old photo of the girl overlaid onto a flash photo of the station as it exists today, and then lightened up. That's why it looks darker than usual.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom