Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

VaderTron

No snark. What about rescuing very large guests in an ECV with an inability to assist in transfer? I’m genuinely curious how that rescue would go. I’m thinking it would be complicated.

Firefighters get out the giant trampoline. It was covered in Disney's extensive rescue training course that prepared them to expeditiously care for any Skyliner rescue needs.

Last edited:

SLUSHIE

After looking at some more photos etc. I wonder if the incident was actually related to the track switch for the spur rail where the cabin was eventually moved to.

It could also be that the launch was disabled, but the launch is controlled by a couple tires and it does seem that the cabin was hooked on something to sway that far out and not budge. I don't think the tires would have held it in place that forcefully.

I've never really seen a lift with those extra side storage area like this right near the launch... But I guess it came in handy even though it was possibly what caused the issue in the first place.

note2001

It was noted in news reports that none of the cars directly involved in the accident had occupants, but the line most certainly did have people on it to be evacuated.

If true that no people were in the cars that collided, I'm curious if this was because the occupants were alerted to get off as the doors were open before they got to the collision point... and then, if so... why wasn't that station able to immediatly stop the line before more than 2 cars were involved?

HoldenC

Reading thru these threads about the gondolas and heat, it is fairly amazing how many people lack understanding of the difficulties that some face related to heat.
It's fairly amazing how many people lack understanding of how much of a non issue the heat actually is for the gondolas.

ABQ

It was noted in news reports that none of the cars directly involved in the accident had occupants, but the line most certainly did have people on it to be evacuated.

If true that no people were in the cars that collided, I'm curious if this was because the occupants were alerted to get off as the doors were open before they got to the collision point... and then, if so... why wasn't that station able to immediatly stop the line before more than 2 cars were involved?
Either the news reports are incorrect, or this one person who was quoted earlier from another forum is really embellishing a lie. I'm more inclined to find the news reports are incorrect.
Don't think it's right to directly link them here, but search for posts from "Diz Bee" over on the Disboards on their "Disney Skyliner Accident" thread.

note2001

Either the news reports are incorrect, or this one person who was quoted earlier from another forum is really embellishing a lie. I'm more inclined to find the news reports are incorrect.
Don't think it's right to directly link them here, but search for posts from "Diz Bee" over on the Disboards on their "Disney Skyliner Accident" thread.
Oh! From Diz Bee's posts there...
Yes... unfortunately that is a lie. They’re were people in the blue car and we were in the one crushed up against them.

and then later he says
And again we don’t want anything.. We just want them to fix it and make it safe for everyone, and stop saying it was empty.

That sounds real enough, and as though Disney PR immediately went into action to cover it up. I was left scratching my head thinking, wow, how lucky was Disney that that section of cars happened to have no one inside? Apparently it is true that you make your own luck.

Orangeanna

Some posters think that guests shouldn't complain about anything at Disney. 4 hour wait to get in bc computers go down, ridiculous prices for bad food and service, rides continually shut down or features not working. Complaining about complainers is complaing so surely they understand. I did stupidly think Disney had some magic way of keeping people cool in these cabins. I really did. I also thought they had some magic way of keeping gators out if the water. I live in Florida! How much Disney kool-aid do I drink? A lot apparently. Florida heat bows to no mouse! I know things happen, Disney's job is a. Prevention b. Intervention c. Compensation. Doing all these things correctly is the goal. And let's face it, some times they fall short.

EricsBiscuit

rkgf692qxxq31.jpg

*Cue spooky laugh*
Well without A/C it ain’t much of a chilling challenge...

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Because they monitor these discussion boards, Disney Parks Blog has announced they are positioning ice concession carts as well as fan concession carts in the queue for the skyliner. I believe you can redeem one block of ice for 1 snack credit and the battery operated fans are eligible for 20% AP discounts.

Apparently taking a lesson from Bob C. they listen to guest feedback. Well those that survived the Skyliner trip anyway...

Last edited:

EdnaMode

Heard a first hand account last night from a couple staying at Beach Club. They went to concierge to ask about something. While they were there a mom and her two young daughters came up. They had just gotten off the gondolas after being stuck for 3 hours. They had missed dinner and were starving. The Beach Club marketplace had literally just shut its doors, so the CM was basically like "sorry, we're closed", gave them a voucher for a taxi back to their resort (Pop) and sent them on their way. The guest/couple opened up the app and tried to find them open food options on property. I get that unfortunate accidents happen and it's just part of life (inside and outside of Disney). But this seemed like extremely minimal effort on the concierge's part. This doesn't seem like the level of customer service Disney has become known for over the years. Could they not have at the very least let them know room service hours, or even gave them some phone numbers of restaurants outside of property that might still be open? Instead this family just resolved themselves to eating a granola bar and going to bed on the last night of their vacation. It just seems to me that Disney could have put a little more effort into making sure this family's vacation didn't end on a sour note.

Goodness, that is such a service failure, and it makes me so sad that the people who really tried to provide relief were other paying guests.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Some posters think that guests shouldn't complain about anything at Disney
Ehh. Not really. People complain around here all the time. It is expected. And somewhat the norm. And lots of the complaints I see have merit. Others, meh...

What is annoying is when someone becomes dramatic when complaining. The sky is falling nonsense will get you the eye roll.

Orangeanna

I also wonder if any of would volunteer to sit in a cabin on July 4th for 3 hours starting at 1:00 pm? Test the theory that we'd be fine? It's obvious now that accidents will happen and evacuation takes a long time. I hope not as long next time. This past week was not hot, not for Florida. I've been enjoying the break from the heat. July is brutal, in the shade, even with a breeze. In a box with 9 other people and no fan I can't imagine.

Lilofan

Changing the focus away from Florida heat...... For those of us who wish not to be glued to this thread, will news from the investigation and Skyliner's fate/outlook leak daily or should we wait to come back in here in a few days?

I hope that made sense!
Leaks happen and not only in Washington.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom