Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

halltd

@Lift Blog I’m curious if there’s a rail to offload the damaged cabin onto - like they did - and this happens frequently in ski resorts, why do you think they didn’t just do that sooner and start the line up again to evacuate?

Also, in your experience, is the Epcot line more complicated than any of the lines on the La Paz system? You’d have to evacuate that line by helicopter in most places from the pictures I’ve seen.

WDW_Jon

I’ve not read this whole thing so sorry if mentioned but from seeing Tim Tracker vlog he said the yellow un-wrapped cars are the ECV suitable ones?
The crash pic clearly Shows those with the blue that has gone into them so would assume it’s some fault on allowing those cars to re join the line safely from the separate loading area?

Last edited:

MonorailCoral

Maybe a blessing there was not a major fire nearby? Reedy Creek firefighters busy assisting the skyline incident would have called a 911 for City of Orlando to help with other issues? We need help!

Mutual aid and back-fill from other agencies is always an option, just like any other jurisdiction.

It would probably be worse if RC was already primary on one large event when the Skyliner then goes down and needs an evac, than the other way around: While RC probably has the technical training (and now the experience) to evac the Skyliner compared to other agencies, they couldn't simply just drop what they're doing, say, on a large fire, and turn that operation over to other agenc(ies) so RC can go handle the Skyliner...The other agencies, acting as Mutual-Aid for RC, would most likely have to go "figure out" the Skyliner evacuation on their own if RC is already too tied up to handle it.

Sure, the other agencies are trained to be able to improvise on-the-fly *safely* for such "unknowns" when presented with a situation in which they aren't familiar with the established procedure...But of course, that will cause the evac to be even slower.

The best-case situation, really, is that the "other" large situation happens to break out while RC is already evacuating the Skyliner (as they are the ones that have been trained).

I'm not sure that a better name for the Skyliner wouldn't have been the Albatross.

Good thing that summer will be drawing to a close soon...Best to get this all streamlined before the next.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I’ve not read this whole thing so sorry if mentioned but from seeing Tim Tracker vlog he said the yellow un-wrapped cars are the ECV suitable ones?
The crash pic clearly Shows those with the blue that has gone into them so would assume it’s some fault on allowing those cars to re join the line safely from the separate loading area?

All cars are ECV capable and they can configure which ones go to the extra loop. They might be using the color coding for that but I am not sure. This happened at Riviera which doesn't have the separate loading area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom