Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

flynnibus

Premium Member
downtime2.jpg

joelkfla

Given this is the first of its design... he couldn't have worked on a system that behaves the same. I find it highly unlikely that the modern system relies on human input for the actual spacing. That's a train wreck waiting to happen .. especially when you have a full computer control system at their disposal here. This isn't an old mechanical system with just safety interlocks.

Lastly.. his explanation doesn't fit what we already know to be the impact at dispatch. In short.. nothing to see here...
Furthermore, the WAV never would have made it out of the originating station if there weren't enough separation -- it would have hit he cabin preceding it as soon as it entered the main load area.

joelkfla

Requesting contact info means there's nearly 100% chance there may be more compensation coming later.
No, any time there's an accident, Disney tries to get the name and contact info of everyone involved. Even when a bus loses a mirror by cutting it too close to a stationary object, we were required to attempt to keep everyone on board until they had filled out the contact sheet.

Figments Friend

Wow.
This is a bit.....surprising.

I rode the Skyliner on opening day this past Sunday.
Rather enjoyed the experience, and the sightlines.

Seeing this has been a bit surreal.

Glad to hear there were no injuries.

Amused ( and also relieved ) to learn that the cabins actually contain emergency supplies like water and potty bags.

Thinking this over, I keep coming back to one word -
Wow.

😲

-

Hawg G

Ten years ago the monorail got the worst press ever when two trains collided, killing a cast member. Seems like ridership is at an all time high these days!

Cast member. Maintenance mode, after 40 years of safe operation. I don't recall any stories of 3 hour stops of monorails. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I don't' remember any. Plus, they do have AC.

This was SIX DAYS!

THis would have been the nightmare I've been talking about for about a year had it been 6 hours earlier.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney never built the nuclear power plant they are legally authorized to build.

I know its a fun point... but the statement isn't quite accurate. They are not authorized to build any nuclear plant. That's still regulated by the federal NRC. The RCID act gives RC full control of the ZONING and local authority to control at the state/local level where such a plant could be put, but does not authorize them to actually do it. The NRC regulates all nuclear plant construction and operation in the country.

Now back to our regular 'unexpected downtime'!

Hawg G

I wonder if they are being asked to sign a release to receive that compensation... people better read what they sign.

They absolutely are. If not, Disney is just hoping to quell a lot of anger with freebies that cost them nothing (are those 4 day no expire tickets, now THOSE would be worth a goldmine now).

I'd want some REAL money, not Itchy & Scratchy dollars.

disney4life2008

I rode it a few hours ago. I thought that entry into the Riviera station came in a little hot but we stopped in time. Overall it was quite convenient and MUCH more efficient that monorails.

Hopefully they'll check them out and get them back into service quickly.

I was actually surprised at how fast they were going.
Does this change anyone's thoughts about riding on future visits? I know rides break down all the time...but this is kind of scary.

No. There is more risk in driving in a car or simply crossing the street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom