Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Mjt5126

Is Riviera open at all? Why would the station be open if the hotel is not? I am confused.... help! I hope everyone is ok!
Well we have been using it from Aruba at Caribbean beach because it’s much closer than the hub but for the most part, it has not been crowded

RSoxNo1

Seeing all of the various stops they've had since he system started, including this 1, makes me wonder if the problem really isn't people who are riding the system, not the system itself! Even though this is the same type of system that is put in at ski resorts, the riders are very different.

At ski resorts the riders ride the lifts multiple times per day many days of the year. I'm sure most of the people riding the Disney system have never written a gondola in their life. In addition the gondolas are being loaded with young children, adults, grandparents, strollers, wheelchairs etc. The much wider range certainly is bound to cause problems. Unfortunately these problems can't be worked out over time because majority of the people visiting don't visit regularly enough to know how to use the system.
Speculation is that the regular stops were CMs trying to load wheelchairs and ECVs outside of the designated area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Seeing all of the various stops they've had since he system started, including this 1, makes me wonder if the problem really isn't people who are riding the system, not the system itself! Even though this is the same type of system that is put in at ski resorts, the riders are very different.

At ski resorts the riders ride the lifts multiple times per day many days of the year. I'm sure most of the people riding the Disney system have never written a gondola in their life. In addition the gondolas are being loaded with young children, adults, grandparents, strollers, wheelchairs etc. The much wider range certainly is bound to cause problems. Unfortunately these problems can't be worked out over time because majority of the people visiting don't visit regularly enough to know how to use the system.

A problem loading guests should at worst lead to a stoppage of a line. I can't imagine Doplymyr would design a system where a guest action could lead to cars crashing into each other. Also, these systems are used for urban transport and at ski resorts for off season tourists, so they get plenty of use by non experienced riders.

Mouse Trap

So unsurprising to see the haters of this system crawling out of their parent's basement this evening. I'm very sad to see this happen and I hope they're able to figure out the cause. The Skyliner is the greatest thing to arrive at WDW in the last 5 or so years. If the monorail can bounce back after the death of a CM, this will as well.

Won’t be the last time I say this tonight: Cars crash everyday, trains derail, planes fail, monorails crash and so on. No one has stopped using any of the above and it’s not going to stop the gondolas either.

In fact I’m sure some huge % of people who visit WDW in the future will never know this even happened. Countless times I’ve been on a monorail and have heard “someone died on this once” and people in the cabin shamelessly dismiss it as a rumor...

GusEzra

Boy some times Twitter jsut amazes me I know it shouldnt but it does all the bashing on the skyliner system and how they will never ride it again, but its a proven system and fairly safe, I guess they forget all the issues with the monorail,wasnt it just evacuated in the last month or so wasnt there like a death as well and they all still happily ride that.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yes I did. Is there a problem? Or are you going to waste time writing endless, inaccurate essays, on how this was the worst decision the company has ever made?

I didn’t say it was the worst. This is just typical Disney over the past several years. I just don’t think this type of system is right for disney crowds and in Florida heat and weather and the look doesn’t fit in well (my opinion tho)

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Boy some times Twitter jsut amazes me I know it shouldnt but it does all the bashing on the skyliner system and how they will never ride it again, but its a proven system and fairly safe, I guess they forget all the issues with the monorail, wasnt it just evacuated in the last month or so wasnt there like a death as well and they all still happily ride that.
People always try to make comparisons to justify a point of view when there is no comparison to be made. People don't wanna ride it ever again because they don't wanna be stuck hanging in the air for hours on end. When a monorail breaks down, most of the time a tow can happen and if not, it's one train in one location. While still certainly frustrating, there is also a different feeling of security when you're on a beam instead of hanging from a cable. When a bus breaks down, ya get off the bus onto the road in minutes. This is completely different.

And for the record, I'm neutral on the whole system and have been since it was announced. But I can COMPLETELY understand why the risk of being stuck in that little cabin for hours on end would make people say no thanks. That said, yes, it'll survive. Most guests will have absolutely no idea it happened, just as most don't know about the monorail crash.

Goofnut1980

A problem loading guests should at worst lead to a stoppage of a line. I can't imagine Doplymyr would design a system where a guest action could lead to cars crashing into each other. Also, these systems are used for urban transport and at ski resorts for off season tourists, so they get plenty of use by non experienced riders.
I didn’t think for skiing the tram actually ever stopped, I thought it was continuous.

Movielover

, If this was a case of improper loading of wheelchairs outside the designated area what kind of changes would that entail at that station?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ojo4

Original Poster
Boy some times Twitter jsut amazes me I know it shouldnt but it does all the bashing on the skyliner system and how they will never ride it again, but its a proven system and fairly safe, I guess they forget all the issues with the monorail,wasnt it just evacuated in the last month or so wasnt there like a death as well and they all still happily ride that.

A monorail doesn't have a single point of failure like the Skyliner does. Monorails have on board power and have numerous options for evacuations in timely manners. If 1 monorail goes down, blocking the line, all other monorails can "reverse" to the nearest station. The diesel tow truck can be called in the event of power failure. The monorail line has stairs at set intervals where guests can just walk off. Monorail cabins are all together and can be evacuated without needing to reposition the cherry pickers. Skyliner cabins require coordinating road shutdowns, tow trucks, boats, and a variety of specific evacuation vehicles that can only be used in specific locations throughout the entire line. Oh and don't forget positions where guests have to rappel down a rope to get off. All of this done one by one with resources that all have to be called in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom