No outside food, strollers or scooters can be delivered to Disney Resorts?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
He I an amputee with one leg, he can not walk from the buses to the parks he has to have a scooter to get to the parks, we always had the scooter waiting on us so we would not lose park time. This is just disney trying to force people to rent them from the parks , but many people need them to get to the parks. It really is unfair to expect us to give up park time waiting and its unrealistic to think that the scooter companies can be there to deliver more than 3 or four times a day so there is going to be considerable park time lost.

This is not entitlement when you are talking about disabled people. They dont rent scooters st the hotels , disabled people can not walk the distances from buses or monorail or boats to rent one on the park they need them to snd from the parks as well so now you are forcing disabled people to give up park ti.e waiting on a scooter. This is now going against the ADA.
I don't see that -- what I see is a difference between "reasonable accommodation" and "convenience." The ADA only requires the former. People requiring mobility assistance devices still have the option to rent from whatever company they want. However, only if they rent from the preferred Disney provider can they expect their cart to be ready and waiting for them. If not, there might be a delay while that company delivers the rented device directly to the guest.
Well with them not being able to leave them at bell services it is just not going to be possible for the companies to be to every hotel 20 tines a day so, yes it will be taking a serious chunk of park time away,
If you competently coordinate your arrival with a non-preferred company, there should be little to no delay.

ninjaprincesst

Original Poster
I don't see that -- what I see is a difference between "reasonable accommodation" and "convenience." The ADA only requires the former. People requiring mobility assistance devices still have the option to rent from whatever company they want. However, only if they rent from the preferred Disney provider can they expect their cart to be ready and waiting for them. If not, there might be a delay while that company delivers the rented device directly to the guest.

If you competently coordinate your arrival with a non-preferred company, there should be little to no delay.
It is my understanding that the preffered providers will no longer be allowed to leave them either.

bUU

This is now going against the ADA.
I assure you that there is nothing in the ADA that requires a company to take on liability for items patrons want to drop-off for collection by third parties later. As a matter of fact, the ADA only requires accommodation allowing patrons to use mobility devices; ADA does not require a public accommodation to facilitate acquiring a mobility device.

Well with them not being able to leave them at bell services it is just not going to be possible for the companies to be to every hotel 20 tines a day so, yes it will be taking a serious chunk of park time away,
The last time we needed an ECV for my sister-in-law, we were there to collect it from the company as they arrived to drop it off and were there to meet them to have them collect it when our trip was done. Back then, of course, no one held the kind of excessive entitlement that pretends to rationalize your complaint. Back then it was just the normal thing to do at Disney - and it is precisely what she does at every other vacation destination they visit today.

And this is a really important point: The problem here actually is the exploitative third-party suppliers who are not willing to provide the level of service that their patrons need, i.e., drop off and pick up on the patron's schedule rather than whenever it is convenient for the third-party supplier. They're just aiming to skim off the cream while trying to shift reasonable costs of their business on to someone else.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

He I an amputee with one leg, he can not walk from the buses to the parks he has to have a scooter to get to the parks, we always had the scooter waiting on us so we would not lose park time. This is just disney trying to force people to rent them from the parks , but many people need them to get to the parks. It really is unfair to expect us to give up park time waiting and its unrealistic to think that the scooter companies can be there to deliver more than 3 or four times a day so there is going to be considerable park time lost.

This is not entitlement when you are talking about disabled people. They dont rent scooters st the hotels , disabled people can not walk the distances from buses or monorail or boats to rent one on the park they need them to snd from the parks as well so now you are forcing disabled people to give up park ti.e waiting on a scooter. This is now going against the ADA.

Not if you schedule the delivery, which many of the companies do.

+100

Sorry guys I really am not understanding the issue. We have done this twice. Last August when my sister in law was in a wheelchair and the previous year with my mother in law.
It really is easy to coordinate. If you've coordinated ADRs and fp's, this will be a walk in the park. At most we've waited 40 min

NickPytlinski

I assure you that there is nothing in the ADA that requires a company to take on liability for items patrons want to drop-off for collection by third parties later. As a matter of fact, the ADA only requires accommodation allowing patrons to use mobility devices; ADA does not require a public accommodation to facilitate acquiring a mobility device.

The last time we needed an ECV for my sister-in-law, we were there to collect it from the company as they arrived to drop it off and were there to meet them to have them collect it when our trip was done. Back then, of course, no one held the kind of excessive entitlement that pretends to rationalize your complaint. Back then it was just the normal thing to do at Disney - and it is precisely what she does at every other vacation destination they visit today.

And this is a really important point: The problem here actually is the exploitative third-party suppliers who are not willing to provide the level of service that their patrons need, i.e., drop off and pick up on the patron's schedule rather than whenever it is convenient for the third-party supplier. They're just aiming to skim off the cream while trying to shift reasonable costs of their business on to someone else.

you obviously have never worked in the transport business.
There is literally companies working for little to no profit because of people always wanting priority.
Sorry it doesn't work like this.

now.... if you pay for a premium service, and i mean over a hundred dollars more than you currently do for the delivery (for a dedicated delivery), i understand your point but its pretty poor way to blame a delivery company when the recipient cant be bothered to be there to sign for a delivery they should be inspecting anyway, its not Disneys property or their responsibility. same goes for any hotel or company.
i actually think its pretty weird that people do that. If you need a scooter then work it into your plans. dont blame Disney or a delivery company for a change in policy.

If the thousands of people who require a scooter for their vacation/holiday on check in expected a dedicated service these companies would need hundreds of vehicles. Sorry but that is totally unrealistic with the economy.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It is my understanding that the preffered providers will no longer be allowed to leave them either.
From the other thread, @Rteetz posted an announcement that Scooterbug is the preferred vendor who will be allowed to drop off and pick up from Bell Services.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Nobody is forcing anyone to "give up park time". Plan your delivery and your arrival together. You really should be receiving the scooter from the company anyway, so you can ensure that it works properly and they note any previous damage, like a rental car.

ninjaprincesst

Original Poster

Yes but that is not going to be possible the companies can not be expected to make 20 trips a day to every hotel, and there is really no way to know when you will arrive via magic express, so that makes coordination really hard.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Yes but that is not going to be possible the companies can not be expected to make 20 trips a day to every hotel, and there is really no way to know when you will arrive via magic express, so that makes coordination really hard.

I'm sorry your touring methodology will have to change. I do hate when that happens, and I totally understand.

Maybe you can fly in earlier. Maybe you can skip the parks on arrival day. Maybe you can go to the pool for a couple hours and then hit the park. These strategies seem to work for a lot of other posters here who cannot immediately hit the park after arriving. Hopefully you find something that works for you.

I think your frustration is valid. Change can be frustrating. This is still not unfair though.

eliza61nyc

Not at all, ok let's say you're staying at the contemporary. You're plane gets in at 10 am. You have "no" idea what time ME is going to get you to the resort?? It could be anywhere from noon to midnight??? I only took it once eons ago when they first started so I'm asking.

Also remember the probability that a company has to make 20 trips in the same day to the same resort would probably not be that great.

I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns, and yes it won't be as instantaneous as before but I really don't think it's going to force you to wait hours .

Last edited:

ninjaprincesst

Original Poster
Not at all, ok let's say you're staying at the contemporary. You're plane gets in at 10 am. You have "no" idea what time ME is going to get you to the resort?? It could be anywhere from noon to midnight??? I only took it once eons ago when they first started so I'm asking.

Also remember the probability that a company has to make 20 trips in the same day to the same resort would probably not be that great.

I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns, and yes it won't be as instantaneous as before but I really don't think it's going to force you to wait hours .
Well , what is has done is changed a trip for 5 people into a trip 2 for people, so Disney has forever lost 3 customers as my Dad does not to ruin the trip for my daughter by making her give up park time to wait on a mobility device for him. I know that the thought process for Disney was force people to rent from Disney, and if that is the case the need to provide scooter rentals all the resorts with scooters that can be rented for length of stay. We do not get long trips 1 trip a year for 9 days is it, and my Dad does not us wasting 2 of those days because he can't walk long distances and get get the mobility device he needs in a timely manor. No matter how well you plan you are going to lose at least 2 hours of park time each on the first and last days.

Kingtut

I just read on another site that Disney will no longer allow outside food, strollers or scooters to be delivered to the resorts, that you will have to meet these vendors outside the hotel. I was just wondering if any one else had heard this and if it would also apply to the Disney approved scooter rental companies. ?
Is this a good time to bring up the "Disney is a business" argument? I mean if there are so many people renting equipment from outside vendors then Disney is leaving money on the table by not increasing their own rental supply and having competitive costs/ availability. That is what most businesses do - meet customers needs at a reasonable (profitable) price.

I think if Joe's Scooter/Wheelchair rental can do it with 4 guys and a Ford van then Disney should be able to tie it into the room rental and provide the services. If Disney was competitive then there would be no reason to rent offsite since it would be more convenient to rent with the room.

My $.02

eliza61nyc

Well , what is has done is changed a trip for 5 people into a trip 2 for people, so Disney has forever lost 3 customers as my Dad does not to ruin the trip for my daughter by making her give up park time to wait on a mobility device for him. I know that the thought process for Disney was force people to rent from Disney, and if that is the case the need to provide scooter rentals all the resorts with scooters that can be rented for length of stay. We do not get long trips 1 trip a year for 9 days is it, and my Dad does not us wasting 2 of those days because he can't walk long distances and get get the mobility device he needs in a timely manor. No matter how well you plan you are going to lose at least 2 hours of park time each on the first and last days.
Wow, sorry to hear that. How is this "wasting" a day though?? Ok you originally get to the parks by noon and now you get there by 130 and the day is wasted?? I can understand the frustration, we are not commando tourers so possibly having to wait 1 hour or so for a evc would be an afterthought.
Please send the mouseworld an email expressing your issues. I think though you are probably an outlier, any time there is a new procedure there are bound to be a few folks who are effected more drastically then the general public.
Hope you find a way to include dad again, my mother in law truly enjoys traveling with us.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Can't three people go on to the parks immediately and the other two stay behind for an hour? Why does this have to be all or nothing?

Disney.Mike

Sounds like your dad needs to come to terms with reality. This policy change by Disney is a minor inconvenience and takes a load off of the front desk of the resorts.

ninjaprincesst

Original Poster
Because it used to be a limited amount of people that would rent outside wheelchairs/scooters/strollers and then suddenly it became this major "tip" of oh don't bring your own or rent from the park when you could just rent from an outside company and Disney will keep it safe for you.
So many people started doing it that Disney was like hey this is getting hard to handle so each of you can handle your own responsibilities.
It should not be Disney's responsibility to handle your outside business.
No , many people like, my father for example, do not require a scooter at home, since they can walk but not far, they do require one at Disney because they can not physically walk from the bus, boat, monorail , to the park entrance to rent a Disney scooter, they do not rent them out at the resorts, so the people that need them 24/7 while at Disney must rent from an outside scooter rental. As soon as we found out that there were Disney "approved" vendors we always made sure to use them so we did not lose park time just because my Dad only has one leg.

ninjaprincesst

Original Poster
Can't three people go on to the parks immediately and the other two stay behind for an hour? Why does this have to be all or nothing?
Because we go as a family, all our fast passes ADR 's ect are as a family for the family vacation, as well as the other 3 don't want to waste their time and money standing waiting for a scooter, and every time we do split up the meet up end up burning park time. rental because Disney is being money grubbing idiots. We are not your casual we have all the time in the world people, we are here for a limited 9 days and go from rope drop to park close in order to do everything.

ninjaprincesst

Original Poster

Excuse me, you think that wanting my handicapped father to be able to have access to the parks when he arrives is entitlement? I assure you he would be thrilled to have 2 legs and be able to not need the assistance. He pays just as much as everyone else does, and should have the option to hit the parks as soon as he arrives just like everyone else. That is not entitlement.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Because we go as a family, all our fast passes ADR 's ect are as a family for the family vacation, as well as the other 3 don't want to waste their time and money standing waiting for a scooter, and every time we do split up the meet up end up burning park time. rental because Disney is being money grubbing idiots. We are not your casual we have all the time in the world people, we are here for a limited 9 days and go from rope drop to park close in order to do everything.

Okay. I'm sorry that this change means you'll never go again. Or that your dad will never go again. Or it ruined your life. Or whatever.

Good luck on your next "limited 9 day" trip.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom