Unsettling “security” checks.

scout68

Original Poster
Just wrapping up a split stay (Kidani/Poly) this week. Along the way we were notified at both resorts of the daily trash service that is really a security check (a search of your room and belongings for weapons)

This is no doubt in response to Las Vegas. I’m a realist and can understand the policy although it is security theatre at best. I’ve also been a bit put off at the level of absolute disregard for our privacy. There is still a placard on the door though now it says room occupied in lieu of do not disturb and let me tell you we were disturbed 4 out of six days. We are early risers and love the afternoon swim and nap before assessing the evening plans. Four times we were woken up by a cast member entering our room without permission through the room occupied sign. I should have prefaced this with the info that is passed on to guests stating if you put the sign out this then triggers housekeeping (yes housekeeping does the “security check” not actual security) to bypass your room and place a phone call to arrange their entry to complete the Security check. Our sign was put out every day and not one day were we called on the days we were away, they came in anyway. On the days we were there pleasantly slumbering and were awoken, we politely told them we don’t want the trash service and assured them all was ok; only to find our trash emptied later that night.

We have teen aged children who we allow to stay in the room at times and now we have to worry about a total stranger from housekeeping coming in weather we want them pet not.

This policy does not make me feel more secure, in fact, we have never felt less confident in our private space here in WDW than we did I this week.

Perhaps they should just search my vehicle and luggage upon arrival and leave my room alone. Those in charge of this ridiculous policy might also actually search the rooms and maybe just maybe rethink the newest cash grab that has come in the form of the start wars lightsaber and staff cases I’ve see every day that 100% could house an actual weapon.

Mickeyboof

Perhaps they should just search my vehicle and luggage upon arrival and leave my room alone. Those in charge of this ridiculous policy might also actually search the rooms and maybe just maybe rethink the newest cash grab that has come in the form of the start wars lightsaber and staff cases I’ve see every day that 100% could house an actual weapon.

This reminds me a bit of DL Paris. Often before entering the lobby bags and persons are checked and submitted through a brief security check

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Been discussed here

Polydweller

Your initial assumption about Las Vegas is not entirely accurate. The bigger issue for hotels is actually human trafficking and specifically kids. Disney is a prime target for that and they will look in rooms for that reason. That’s also why checking luggage at check in would not address the issue. They will do the search on their schedule because if they tell people they are coming all evidence would be gotten rid of including the kids.

The total stranger is a Disney employee so you shouldn’t have concerns.

jloucks

Just get one of these if it bothers you...

...and it would bother me too if I was in the room.

It sounds sketchy legally for them to creeper on you when you have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

No doubt why they reworded their door placards.

Maybe they should just put cameras in your room and be done with it.

The more I think about this, the creepier it gets.

Mickeyboof

Your initial assumption about Las Vegas is not entirely accurate. The bigger issue for hotels is actually human trafficking and specifically kids. Disney is a prime target for that and they will look in rooms for that reason. That’s also why checking luggage at check in would not address the issue. They will do the search on their schedule because if they tell people they are coming all evidence would be gotten rid of including the kids.

Woah what? Human Trafficking has roots at Disney? Or is it just the possibility/ risk?

ppet

I really hope you were expressing sarcasm, how many Disney employees have been arrested in stings over the last 10 years? I'm sure Disney does exhaustive background checks but this still can't weed out all the weirdos.

Tink76

I would be bothered by the interruption and would complain about the infringement on my personal space. So much money is paid out for a Disney vacation and you stay in the hotels to get the full Disney experience. The full experience shouldn’t include someone who just walks in without notice.... that’s just over the top. We always got up early to hit the parks and then napped in the afternoon to get away from the heat, my husband naps in his boxers, what do these people say when the Waltz in the room. I guess there is no privacy anymore.
Staying inside the bubble is just not worth the $$$$.

Lilofan

I really hope you were expressing sarcasm, how many Disney employees have been arrested in stings over the last 10 years? I'm sure Disney does exhaustive background checks but this still can't weed out all the weirdos.
Basic background checks -yes for its cast members/ third party that works at Disney- maybe, Exhaustive background checks- try CIA, TSA, FBI

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Oh God, this rant again?
Its been in place for nearly 2 years.
At first yes it was invasive but they toned it down within the first couple of months.
They don't look through your belognings.
If you had the latch on the door they could not have walked right in while you were in there.
They always knock. Clearly you did not respond and they entered as they are trained to.
Its really only a minor inconvenience overall and if you are sleeping or otherwise indisposed they will gladly come back later.
I'm well aware that its simply security theater but its not the worst thing in the world and from now on you can choose to stay somewhere els.e

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

Actually it is a direct result of Las Vegas.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Disney is 100% within their rights to do this on their property. They fully disclose in advance that they are doing it and as said above, they've been doing it for multiple years now. It doesn't really matter whether you personally like it or not, it's their property and their liability if something inappropriate happens on their property. If they were not doing this and something happened, they would be held liable and the whole world would be screaming 'why didn't you do something to prevent this?' They are protecting themselves as well as the guests at the resort.

If it does indeed offend you that much there are tens of thousands of other hotel rooms in the Orlando area that you can choose from. Complaining about this one is not going to stop it from happening.

PixarPerfect

I've never understood why people skip the cleaning service. It's paid for! Yes, I travel with valuables and simply stash them away. Lock your suitcase if you're worried. I'm happy to see the ladies vacuum and change the sheets / towels and always leave a nice tip and sometimes a thank you note. It's a small kindness for people working to give me a better experience. As a bonus it has resulted in extras like pin sets for us...

The cleaning ladies are trying to make a living and I like a tidy room. A win-win... And security will never bother you.

jloucks

I've never understood why people skip the cleaning service. It's paid for! Yes, I travel with valuables and simply stash them away. Lock your suitcase if you're worried. I'm happy to see the ladies vacuum and change the sheets / towels and always leave a nice tip and sometimes a thank you note. It's a small kindness for people working to give me a better experience. As a bonus it has resulted in extras like pin sets for us...

The cleaning ladies are trying to make a living and I like a tidy room. A win-win... And security will never bother you.

Certain places you don't have to worry about the cleaning crew cleaning you out. WDW is one of those places. I have always just left my valuables out, and never an issue. Especially true on DCL.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

Well at values and mods you can get $10 per night minus 1 night on a gift card so for guests like my sister and I who don't get the room messy and don't care if our beds are made each day its a bit of a perk.
I'm not anti someone coming in my room daily though as I know if I opt out they will still come for the room check anyways.

PixarPerfect

Well at values and mods you can get $10 per night minus 1 night on a gift card so for guests like my sister and I who don't get the room messy and don't care if our beds are made each day its a bit of a perk.
I'm not anti someone coming in my room daily though as I know if I opt out they will still come for the room check anyways.

That makes sense, as long as you're fine with the security checks.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The security checks became necessary when they started asking guests to forego cleaning. There is an unfortunate reality that people die in their rooms. Discovering a dead body after a few days in a room is gross, but another guest reporting the smell would be disastrous for the resort.

Telling people it's a "security check" is more palatable than saying they're checking for bodies.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The security checks became necessary when they started asking guests to forego cleaning. There is an unfortunate reality that people die in their rooms. Discovering a dead body after a few days in a room is gross, but another guest reporting the smell would be disastrous for the resort.

Telling people it's a "security check" is more palatable than saying they're checking for bodies.

The opt out for a gift card was implemented after the security checks.
Again the security checks were as a direct result of the Las Vegas shooting that occurred Oct 1st 2017.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom