Final Performance of 'Illuminations : RoE' Fan Meetup - Imagination Pavilion Gardens : Sept-30th 2pm-3pm

Homemade Imagineering

We went last night, because I'm trying to get as many views in as I can. I want to soak it all in, because this is really the end. We watched the show, watched the crew move the equipment back through the drawbridge, and walked around what's left of the park. It was my saddest night ever at Epcot. I cried a small tear (or more) as the globe opened, and I really lost it thinking about the lyrics, "to a new day, we go on." There will be a new day, but it won't be the same. This is really the last of many painful nails in the coffin of our Epcot. The people who don't get it may never get it, but it was much more than a theme park. It was a park of hope and inspiration. It was a different type of park that will never be equaled. Right now Bob and Bob are sleeping soundly just a few miles from Epcot not knowing, understanding, or caring that this is so difficult for so many of us. They are part of the group who doesn't get it, but they could get it. If they would stand on the docks and watch that performance they would get it. We do go on, and there will be many great days ahead. I just wish they weren't filled with characters and IPs at every turn.
Wow, I really, really felt this. Now I will be honest, and say that I have never been to Epcot, and yet I find myself a massive fan of everything classic Epcot. I wasn’t alive to see 80’s Epcot, and I’m really sad that I never did get to visit it in its glory days. I am a Disneyland goer, and I have been going to Disneyland for many, many years now, and it has truly changed my life in such an amazing way. I find it amazing that theme parks can make you feel a certain way, a way of ecstatic joy and nostalgia so strong to really make you feel passionate about them. It’s one of the greatest feelings in the world in my opinion, and every time I visit specifically DCA or Disneyland, I feel that magic Disney feel whenever I enter the parks. I remember my first time on pirates, haunted mansion, small world, and jungle cruise just to mention a few, and I remember the absolute joy I felt after riding these. Someday I will visit Epcot, and when I do, I don’t want my first experience to be on journey into imagination with figment, I want it to be on a revived version of journey into imagination, and that is why I push to make my message clear that I want Disney to revive the original, I don’t want my first trip there to be without being able to ride spaceship earth when it’s closed for this 2 year refurbishment. I want to experience spaceship earth, and a revived journey into imagination, but unfortunately this won’t be for a while until the spaceship earth refurb is done, and no one know what will happen to imagination. I have hope for Epcot though, no matter how many intellectual properties they shove into it. I have hope that it will retain some of the original Epcot charm, while introducing new technologies and attractions into the park. I have hope...

I finally mustered a plan to go this weekend. Probably will enjoy the show on Saturday. Hoping to record it, perhaps from Italy or Japan. My buddy might want to hustle back to Miami so we might be near the Canada/Mexico mixup. We'll see.

Now to make things interesting, my class got cancelled on 9/30 meaning technically 9/30 and 10/1 are free for me. Hmm...

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Packing for the trip, and trying to decide which of these four vintage shirts to wear that evening.

Perhaps the '2000' one, as is befitting the Show which was originally intended for the Millennium Celebration?

The black 'confetti' one will be a must wear for October 1st, and the debut of 'Epcot Forever'.
Not to mention, Epcot's 37th anniversary...
:)

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Wow, I really, really felt this. Now I will be honest, and say that I have never been to Epcot, and yet I find myself a massive fan of everything classic Epcot. I wasn’t alive to see 80’s Epcot, and I’m really sad that I never did get to visit it in its glory days. I am a Disneyland goer, and I have been going to Disneyland for many, many years now, and it has truly changed my life in such an amazing way. I find it amazing that theme parks can make you feel a certain way, a way of ecstatic joy and nostalgia so strong to really make you feel passionate about them. It’s one of the greatest feelings in the world in my opinion, and every time I visit specifically DCA or Disneyland, I feel that magic Disney feel whenever I enter the parks. I remember my first time on pirates, haunted mansion, small world, and jungle cruise just to mention a few, and I remember the absolute joy I felt after riding these. Someday I will visit Epcot, and when I do, I don’t want my first experience to be on journey into imagination with figment, I want it to be on a revived version of journey into imagination, and that is why I push to make my message clear that I want Disney to revive the original, I don’t want my first trip there to be without being able to ride spaceship earth when it’s closed for this 2 year refurbishment. I want to experience spaceship earth, and a revived journey into imagination, but unfortunately this won’t be for a while until the spaceship earth refurb is done, and no one know what will happen to imagination. I have hope for Epcot though, no matter how many intellectual properties they shove into it. I have hope that it will retain some of the original Epcot charm, while introducing new technologies and attractions into the park. I have hope...

I can relate.
Disneyland to you was what early EPCOT Center was for me - totally inspiring, and life changing.
I became a big fan of Disneyland much later on in life, but it inspired me in a similar way.

Sadly, 'my' EPCOT is long gone...but the few remnants that still remain remind me of what was, and could be again some day.

-

Figment82

So many memories! Sitting in a near-empty World Showcase Plaza, long after the park has closed, and watching the Inferno Barge burn-off. Or the special treat of getting to see the show run without any fireworks at all - just lights and lasers. I have so, so many memories of this show, I still can’t believe there are less than 2 weeks left.

We have dining reservations at the BoardWalk for the 30th. Still not sure if we want to venture into the park, or watch from Crescent Lake like we do on NYE and July 4th. I have a FP for the 22nd, which will probably serve as my “formal goodbye”. Like many of you, I don’t need to be front and center on the 30th - been there, done that over the years. And with a 1 year old, I certainly can’t be sitting around for 6 hours like I would’ve done in the “old days”, lol! But I do want to be somewhere in the surrounding area, to see the final performance of the show that has been a part of my life for the last two decades. There will never be another one like it... 😭

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Spending some time tonight preparing for our fun meetup, and while looking over some nostalgic photos of Epcot I am reminded yet again of how 'alive' the Imagination Pavilion's grounds used to be.

Take a look at these.
A pair of photos of our upcoming meeting spot -

Imagination's 'Magic Garden' area in the early 1980s -

And the deserted space it is today -
We shall liven this area up on the 30th, however!
So join me now, won't you....?

Jwhee

Could have been answered already~ but any idea if they’ll breakout the WW3 barges for the finale of the last show?

jrhwdw

Isn't that the truth!! The last time I saw it two weekends ago, there were literally no fireworks during Celebration except the ones that shoot off right as the music ends.
ROE is weird like that! Last night's(Stream on YT)was fine, just no shoreline pyro. Hopefully not many(none at all woud be nice)errors in the rest of ROE's life. Hopefully we won't have to count pyro in EF every night like the problems POE Tag has had in the past couple years...

DisneyOutsider

We booked flights the same evening that the Disney Parks Blog livestream confirmed that 9/30 was the farewell showing. Beginning to emotionally prepare myself to say goodbye to a show that, more than any other parks experience, has defined my relationship with the parks.

As someone who does EPCOT NYE quite often, I'd say there's zero chance the crowds will be close to that level. Should be more crowded than normal, but I can't see there being enough guests on property to make it THAT busy.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Well I was able to find 2 nights at the dolphin at a good rate so I'm now staying until 10/1! I think I'll be making a swing by imagination to say Hi!

Fantastic!
So glad you are staying for the fun!

Be prepared, and expect Epcot to be PACKED that night.
Word is out, and lots of folks are coming into town to see the final night of 'I:RoE' / first night of 'Epcot Forever'.
This is going to be awesome....but a emotional roller coaster for sure when those fireworks start popping to the music.

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
For those interested :

On October 1st, Epcot will be open later in the evening for 'Extra Magic Hours'.
So if you are staying at a Disney Resort during your visit and come over to see the Opening Night of 'Epcot Forever', you get to frolic around in the Park for two additional hours afterwards and savor what you just witnessed.
Epcot will be open 9 a.m to 11 p.m.

Now, if only this happened the day before, on the final night of 'Illuminations'..
Now THAT would have been a serious fan get together post-show with two hours additional to hang out !
But alas, Epcot closes it's usual hours that evening, 9 a.m to 9 p.m

Mentioning all of this now, for those trying to make plans for those two special days.
:)

-

Isn't that the truth!! The last time I saw it two weekends ago, there were literally no fireworks during Celebration except the ones that shoot off right as the music ends.

The video that has that was allegedly recorded on the 4th. Dorian was making its pass and logistics were tied up. I understand some of these fireworks are shipped by rail. Its safe to say they were running light without certain fireworks.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Yeah, anywhere near the edge of the lagoon is going to be packed.
I may well just stand back on the walkaway between the lagoon and monorail beam to see things 'center stage' yet be away from the likely crush of people gathered in that area in particular.

Walking from there to the China bridge post-show to cheer the barge drivers as they depart backstage will probably feel like a salmon does trying to swim upsteam.
I may seek a alternative spot....
Will investigate in advance in person before the date.

Hmmm, i wonder how the elevated view is from the Imagination Garden...?
🤔

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom