The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MouseDreaming

Oh that's good. It is just ridiculous how much homework our DD did back then. I have talked to the neighborhood kids, and they don't have much either these days. They all get time to do it in class.
We struggled going through some of those AP math courses with our DD. At least if she had gotten to do it in class, she could have had help and understood it better. And I wouldn't have been so stressed.
My DD is currently enrolled in 4 AP classes, well 4.5 actually, because Physics is a period and half your lunch period. She is in poems, band, dance, and works at the local DQ a few nights a week. It would be lovely if she could do some of her homework in class. Most nights, she doesn't get to start until after 10. She is part of a Homecoming project that had her (and me)up at 5:45 this morning. Because of the homework load, she usually doesn't get to bed until 1in the morning. And yes, I have asked her to reconsider, drop something, but she won't. So far, as long as she can catch up on the weekend with sleep and homework, she is doing fine. Me, on the other hand, I am looking forward to a nap.

MouseDreaming

Oh gosh, AP world history was the worst. Hours of homework at night. That was my only AP class, the rest were honors, but it was horrible The next year I dropped all of my APs minus Spanish and English because Spanish 5 was an AP and they dropped the English class I was in for l. Then Senior year I bumped back up and took AP economics, English, and Spanish. That wasn't too bad. AP economics I understood incredibly well. Which is funny because now I'm in finance. Although you could tell I slacked off because on the Microeconomics exam, which was covered during the first half of the year, I got a 5, and then for Macro I got a 4. Err...whoops:hilarious:.
I think it depends a lot on the teacher. DD took Ap world history as a freshman. Not too bad with homework. AP Human Geography was last year and was awful. Her teacher basically spent more time preaching his policy views, than the course material. Hadn't even finished teaching the last content area (4 chapters worth) before the ap exam. But, her ap English teacher is much more reasonable than the teacher DS had. Not nearly as much busy work. The kind of homework that drives me crazy. I know it is going to be a late night if a physics lab is due.

MySmallWorldof4

I think it depends a lot on the teacher. DD took Ap world history as a freshman. Not too bad with homework. AP Human Geography was last year and was awful. Her teacher basically spent more time preaching his policy views, than the course material. Hadn't even finished teaching the last content area (4 chapters worth) before the ap exam. But, her ap English teacher is much more reasonable than the teacher DS had. Not nearly as much busy work. The kind of homework that drives me crazy. I know it is going to be a late night if a physics lab is due.
Teachers shouldn't be preaching their political views in class. That is wrong. They can therefore not be unbiased to a student who may not agree with them. I am amazed your dd was able to take an AP class freshman year. I always thought you needed to be a senior to take one. That was the way it was when I was in school. Of course things may have changed in the last 30 years.🙄

MouseDreaming

Teachers shouldn't be preaching their political views in class. That is wrong. They can therefore not be unbiased to a student who may not agree with them. I am amazed your dd was able to take an AP class freshman year. I always thought you needed to be a senior to take one. That was the way it was when I was in school. Of course things may have changed in the last 30 years.🙄
There were a lot of discussions about approaching someone at school about it, especially when he referred to the girls in the class as"baby factories", but DD begged us not to. He is the only one in the school who teaches that class, so she would not have been able to transfer. Eventually, he was handed a 2week suspension, but as a tenured teacher, who has been teaching in the district for 20+ years, that is probably the worst that would happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom