News Tomorrowland love

yensidtlaw1969

They have 2 years until Tron opens.

They're not in any rush for these changes
That's fine, I just wonder if there's actually something big coming or if they're just gonna keep stripping things back and painting them white+ assorted colors. 2 years isn't a ton of time if they're actually going for a big, New Fantasyland-style redo like was rumored.

I'd be happier if I thought that was coming, but it seems more and more like Tomorrowland's redo may be based around new paint on existing structures and adding a few statement pieces like this sign.

Word about there being more on the way seems to have gone silent in the past year or so.

UNCgolf

...is going to be a strong allotment of Googie in the terms of the Theme Building at LAX. Googie is ironically spun off of Populuxe, which is for what it's worth a combination of Popular .and luxury. Outside of going back to their 1970s styling of the land in regards, they are gonna need to add more design elements that doesn't give the feel of hyper-sanitized. No-matter how much painted geometry that they try to add, it would have been better to just go full grid from Tron: Legacy and just implement ElecTRONica from California, since dance parties are all the rage. It would have been much better than what ever they are doing.

So wait, are you saying you're opposed to them changing the area to Googie/Populuxe/Streamline Moderne architecture? Because that's exactly what I want them to do (maybe not the Streamline Moderne because there's already some of that in Hollywood Studios).

Googie is the perfect look in my opinion.

hauntology

So wait, are you saying you're opposed to them changing the area to Googie/Populuxe/Streamline Moderne architecture? Because that's exactly what I want them to do (maybe not the Streamline Moderne because there's already some of that in Hollywood Studios).

Googie is the perfect look in my opinion.

The Streamline Moderne was in that old Art Deco font the sign used to have. I don’t think Disney finds they can make it look futuristic as much as a space age Googie can be done.

Surfin' Tuna

When a new sign hadn't shown up for a while, I was hoping maybe they wouldn't replace it. It didn't used to have one, so maybe...

Then the sign showed up, and I'm trying to give it a chance. Maybe it will grow on me, but it isn't doing it for me yet. The scale seems wrong, and it just seems to add to the clutter. And as others have said, the bases are just all wrong. This picture also really shows off how great those rocks are... (do I need to mention that's sarcasm?)

Attachments

• newTLsign.jpeg
    newTLsign.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 144

ImperfectPixie

Found it on Twitter but lost it. No lighting. It probably isn't complete yet.

This is disappointing...is it possible they just didn't turn it on?

I was hoping the blue tubing that I thought I saw along the inside of the letters' outer edge would light up, but they'd have needed to have all the wiring and everything done prior to installation. The only time you're able to consider lighting after-the-fact is if the lighting is coming from a source other than the sign itself...which STILL makes no sense unless the sign isn't complete yet because any lighting installed on the ground or bridge would be interrupted by people walking by it. (I was in the sign business for many years.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom