Do you actually eat at DLR?

StarWarsGirl

Yes, I do eat at DLR. I'm from the East coast, so I'm only there every few years. I'm not going all the way to California to eat at the Panera across the street from Disneyland.

I still have yet to find as good a French onion soup as at Cafe Orleans. And believe me, I've tried.

StarWarsGirl

I used to love the French onion soup at Concourse Steakhouse in the contemporary.
That one was pretty good too. From what I remember anyway; I was really young when that closed (though in fact I did eat French Onion soup at the time).

The closest I get is the one from Chefs de France. But the Cafe Orleans one is still better.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

On a recent day trip to DLR, I suggested eating outside of the park and bringing in food and beverages. In my opinion, the quality of the food has deteriorated and the prices have skyrocketed. You're being ripped off. Extremely.

Look at these fries from Award Weiners:

View attachment 410985

Now, I ain't no food snob, but just look at that. The homeless shelter has better food than this crap. It's a small portion of Ore Ida fries in a weird shape with a tiny amount of cold bagged cheese sprinkled on top of it. This sets you back about 10 bucks.

I know it's a theme park and they're practically known for crappy food at outrageous prices, but I feel like Disneyland is better than this. Every meal I've had here in the last year has been overpriced slop. You can just tell they're cheating you in every way possible. For the high prices and small portion at River Belle Terrace, I think they could at least provide a coffee cup larger than a 1978 R2-D2 doll. I had to ask for about 10 refills from the poor server.

What really disturbs me is the trend that everything that happens in the parks now is centered around food. We don't get rides or any of that fancy stuff anymore. We get special food. Is this actually working? Are people showing up to eat this overpriced junk? Am I alone in refusing to eat or drink anything from DLR ever again at this point?
I still think the food in New Orleans Square still holds up.

Darkbeer1

I still have yet to find as good a French onion soup as at Cafe Orleans. And believe me, I've tried.

Mimi's Cafe is better, I like both though...

A location I visit regularly is at Harbor and Manchester, across the street from Tomorrowland.

wowsmom

And Plaza Inn Fried Chicken is the best real meal at the resort from a quantity/quality/price standpoint... But be sure to sub potatoes instead of the microwave veggies they usually come with.

I've recently started just getting 2 thighs and a biscuit. I can't eat the veg (allergies) and never ate much of the potatoes. :) It saves me a lot of money and no food goes to waste. :)

Walk to GardenWalk? Use ART to go to CtrCity and the Packing House, Outlets of Orange, etc.

We love going to the Packing House. There's an ice cream place upstairs that has homemade Drumsticks that are amazing! And the quiche at the French place is so good. 😋

I was also bummed earlier this year to learn that apparently Steakhouse 55 has removed the 24 layer chocolate cake. Not to knock the steak or the service I had last year, both of which were great, but it definitely gives me less of a reason to go back.

I miss the 24 layer cake sooooo much!!!!! We used to always have it for dessert when eating there, but would also get slices to take home from the lounge. 😭

Californian Elitist

And Plaza Inn Fried Chicken is the best real meal at the resort from a quantity/quality/price standpoint... But be sure to sub potatoes instead of the microwave veggies they usually come with.

Yep to all of this. By far the best. And the best thing is those disgusting vegetables can be substituted with an extra helping of potatoes.

Can’t beat that!

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Having visited both Disneyland and Disney World in 2017, I can easily report that the overall quality of food is quite a bit better in Disneyland. I think the difference overall comes down to appealing to Californian vs. Midwestern and Southeastern food preferences. The food at Disneyland has noticably more texture and savory-ness, whereas Disney World seems to go with more a "sweet, soft and gooey" approach.

That being said, I'm also taking extended trips to both resorts again in 2020, so I'll see if that comparison still holds true.

Figments Friend

Mimi's Cafe is better, I like both though...

A location I visit regularly is at Harbor and Manchester, across the street from Tomorrowland.

I LOVE Mimi's !!
I practically live there when i am in town for my week long visit, and it's my top breakfast spot.
Almost always visit at least twice during my visit, sometimes three times.

Took a friend there during my last visit in January for both breakfast and dinner, and he loved it too.
Can't beat those special deals they email you - buy one meal, get another one free.

Mimi's is terrific.
Great food, nice staff, cozy themed interiors, lots of variety, and fairly priced.
YUM !
:)

-

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Having visited both Disneyland and Disney World in 2017, I can easily report that the overall quality of food is quite a bit better in Disneyland. I think the difference overall comes down to appealing to Californian vs. Midwestern and Southeastern food preferences. The food at Disneyland has noticably more texture and savory-ness, whereas Disney World seems to go with more a "sweet, soft and gooey" approach.

That being said, I'm also taking extended trips to both resorts again in 2020, so I'll see if that comparison still holds true.

WDW is dead to me since they axed the lighthouse sandwich.

socalifornian

Yes. I do eat at DLR
3EF58929-C1D0-4927-B981-E64EFD493DBF.jpeg

Outbound

I avoid eating at theme parks - partially because of the high prices, partially because it's rarely quality. The Plaza Fried Chicken at Disneyland is the exception.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom