Queue...The Podcast

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Going to go ahead and make an individual thread for this considering it's really taking off and I'm currently devoting a lot of my creative time to it. This series started life in the shadows of Podcast the Ride and still very much resides in those shadows, but by all intents and purposes much like that podcast our goal with this is to simply provide fun, entertaining, and in depth commentary on very, VERY niche subject matter. That subject matter is something that many general guests overlook but fans of Imagineering know all too much about...the magic of queues! From Temple of the Forbidden Eye to Flight of Passage. From Jungle Cruise to Expedition Everest. Queue...The Podcast! aims to get deep into the switchbacks of said subject matter with each episode with humor and passion to match. Currently we have four episodes published and going on a rough weekly schedule.

The first podcast we recorded was the pilot episode exploring the very memorable queue for Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, one of my co-host Ezra's nostalgic favorites. This podcast lacks some of the editing trickery I'd go on to impliment in later episodes, but it still has the trademark paid promotion parody (of course it's Chip N' Dale's Treehouse ;) ) and editing that makes the conversation flow better than our live broadcasts do. That along with some solid audio transitions make this first episode a worthy pilot with a lot of room to improve and expand on the concept.

Next up comes one of my personal favorites, the Enchanted Tiki Pre Show...specifically covering Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Gardens. This might be the most bare bones from a production and editing point of view, with only some cool Barker Bird footage and a funny dole whip parody as the paid promotion gag. What it lacks in style however, it makes up for in substance. It isn't a stretch to say my love of Imagineering was born in these gardens, so breaking it down was definitely a treat and I personally think you guys will really enjoy it.

Episode three was the game changer. By a sheer fluke I accidentally left in a portion of the background video's audio. For a few brief minutes, it sounds as if Ezra and I are having a conversation smack dab in the middle of the Big Thunder queue. I'll admit this is probably the weakest one in terms of substance to the conversation given the limited nature of Disneyland's Big Thunder queue and Ezra and I not being that familiar with WDW's far superior version. It's still definitely worth a listen though, and paved the way for greater things to come.

Come episode four, the editing is really coming together on this series. My goal is to give you the experience of having a conversation with your buddies while waiting in line at a theme park through ambient audio on top of the podcast track, and I think four tries in this is the best attempt yet. Definitely will continue to tweak how loud the ambient audio is in the future, but for now I'm still very pumped for the future of this show.

I'll be using this thread to update you guys with each new episode being posted as well as post teases for podcasts to come. Also very much want to use this thread as a way to take requests for subject matter and get constructive feedback. The way I see it, this thing is my new baby and I want to nurture it to grow up strong and healthy, haha.

Oh yea, and speaking of teases... ;)
64ece35326c501c4e1080cb7958819b3.png

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
If you enjoy Ezra on the podcast, here's a special bonus for ya'll. He was a call-in guest on Steve Whitmire's livestream for his new troll character. Go to the 40:40 mark for a solid ten minutes of Ezra and this troll chatting it up like they're having a casual lunch! Official episode five announcement coming as soon as the thumbnail gets made.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Alright folks, episode five has dropped! At my grandma's suggestions, I've included more music cues and cutaway gags thus continuing the evolution of the editing. The audio side is very much still a work in progress, as I feel I couldn't really get a perfect balance between the sounds of the queue and the actual podcast track given how loud this queue is. In the future I'll be more careful to adjust the volume based on how noisy the footage is. As always feedback is very much appreciated :)

Episode six teaser

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Loving the feeling of these getting more and more refined as I hone my (VERY limited) editing skills. I especially like all the cut away gags in this one. Think the package came together rather nicely! As always I welcome any and all feedback you might have :)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
We take our first trip outside of Disneyland five minutes down the road to the OTHER theme park in Orange County created by a guy named Walter ;) Editing mishaps plagued the post-production on this one and I had to re-process it several times as a result. Hopefully the wait was worth it. Going make to weekly episodes next week.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Star Tours episode is now up. This was pretty much the opposite of the Knott's podcast. It took us three tries to actually get the recording down, but the editing went off without a hitch. I got a new microphone and this is the first episode I've used it on, so audio quality should be a SIGNIFICANT step up. As always I'd really appreciate any and all feedback.

spacemt354

Chili's
Star Tours episode is now up. This was pretty much the opposite of the Knott's podcast. It took us three tries to actually get the recording down, but the editing went off without a hitch. I got a new microphone and this is the first episode I've used it on, so audio quality should be a SIGNIFICANT step up. As always I'd really appreciate any and all feedback.

Really well done!

ThemeParkPriest

Queues and Fastpass/Genie+
I watched most of the Defunctland’s video titled Disney's Fastpass: A Complicated History. If you have, too, I’d be interested in what you thought about it (How about this: “Let’s go ride the Triangle ride in Shapeland” ;) ). The video was very detailed in the history of the types of lines (or queues) that Disney has utilized over its history (in my opinion, a little too detailed in all the various interactions of Fastpass/Fastpass+, etc.), especially under the guidance of an Industrial Engineer named Bruce Laval. Although queues are typically more important for Operations, there’s a significant amount of designing or Imagineering that goes into them.

Although I am not trained specifically as an Industrial Engineer, my background in Transportation uses queue theory (as referenced in the video). Often the objective in transportation engineering is to minimize delay, which is similar to the objective in theme parks. In my coursework, we talked mostly about operations of stop lights, roundabouts, and airports (e.g. check-in counters and security lines). Some of the same calculations could be made for theme park turnstiles, Fastpass machines (when those were needed), and check-outs in shops and restaurants.

So if you have questions on queues, feel free to put them here. And I can do my best to try to aid in understanding! And I guess I should check out this podcast!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom