This is terrible! (Thread orginally posted 9/11/2001)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I will never...ever forget that day. The day that changed the very way we live our lives. I was but a kid back then and I remember spending my day in the old chat room on this site talking in real time with everybody. We cemented something special here that day. Most of us old members aren't sound as much as we used to be...life, family and so forth has slowly taken us away. But I always come back here to remember with my friends around the anniversary.

Back then I was working retail, and I was sent home because nobody knew what was happening and nothing felt safe. I watched the sacrifices so many gave that day.

Now a days I work law enforcement, and I'm now a Sergeant, making me one of those who teach the next generation of Officers. We had brief discussions last night about that day and how we have to live to honor those who gave their lives that day. Most of my young kids I work were too young to remember it, and its important to carry that responsibility forward.

That day reminded us about how good we are when we come together to solve problems. It gives us perspective.

It gives us purpose.

God bless all....

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Now a days I work law enforcement, and I'm now a Sergeant, making me one of those who teach the next generation of Officers. We had brief discussions last night about that day and how we have to live to honor those who gave their lives that day. Most of my young kids I work were too young to remember it, and its important to carry that responsibility forward.

That day reminded us about how good we are when we come together to solve problems. It gives us perspective.

It gives us purpose.

Amen to the above. So well stated.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Another year passes, and I'm proud to bring this thread forward. It shows the confusion we had that day, and how we were trying to piece the information together as it slowly came in. There were a lot of rumors that day that never came to be, and this was in the days before mass amounts of social media. Sites like this were where people came together to share the experience.

Be safe my friends....please never forget. I know when I think of that fateful day, I remember this site as a large part of it.

MrPromey

Another year passes, and I'm proud to bring this thread forward. It shows the confusion we had that day, and how we were trying to piece the information together as it slowly came in. There were a lot of rumors that day that never came to be, and this was in the days before mass amounts of social media. Sites like this were where people came together to share the experience.

Be safe my friends....please never forget. I know when I think of that fateful day, I remember this site as a large part of it.

So very true.

It's kind of crazy today to think that we were all on a Disney fan site talking through all of this given the state of the (online) world today but I was and still am glad to have had you guys here with me when all that was going on.

prberk

I printed the first few pages of this thread to share with my youth at church tonight. It brings it all back. The confusion, the fears, and ultimately the sense that we were all in this together. People from all around the world commenting in a new medium but showing care, love, and concern. Some members here no longer with us, also.

Still worth remembering. Thanks to Steve @wdwmagic for keeping this thread.

mightyduck

Thank you, Steve, for keeping this for us. At the time the towers fell, for those who knew me that day, I was talking about applying for PhD programs in American Studies. I had quit teaching and was looking for something else to do with my life.

Those who know me know that the events of 9/11 pushed me to go back into the classroom--I was so worried about who was taking care of my students. All these years later, I'm still teaching. I've done a lot since then, but two years ago, I applied for a PhD program in American Studies and was accepted. I'm in my second year of the program, studying what I love. I specialize in social justice and young adult literature. If you haven't read Gae Polisner's THE MEMORY OF THINGS, it perfectly captures what if felt like in those first few days and the strong bonds formed in the aftermath.

So not only do I think of all of you and those we have lost (I miss the Big Dog) on September 11, but I think about how this day shifted my goals and how now, I am doing what I had intended to do before those planes hit the towers.

Thank you to everyone who has kept this thread alive. I have too much work to do tonight to be able to read through those posts, but I will read it again this weekend, and I will remember all of those we lost, and all of us who came together to virtually hold each other's hands as I listened to those fighter jets over my house. Much love to all.

DisneyGigi

Rereading the early posts, always brings cold chills. Out of everything that has happened in my 40 some years on this planet, I can still remember where I was watching it live in a doctor’s office waiting room. I can see everything. Seems so insane it has been 18 years. May we never forget. Never not feel the way we did that day. 🙏🏻

markymark

Thank you, Steve, for keeping this for us. At the time the towers fell, for those who knew me that day, I was talking about applying for PhD programs in American Studies. I had quit teaching and was looking for something else to do with my life.

Those who know me know that the events of 9/11 pushed me to go back into the classroom--I was so worried about who was taking care of my students. All these years later, I'm still teaching. I've done a lot since then, but two years ago, I applied for a PhD program in American Studies and was accepted. I'm in my second year of the program, studying what I love. I specialize in social justice and young adult literature. If you haven't read Gae Polisner's THE MEMORY OF THINGS, it perfectly captures what if felt like in those first few days and the strong bonds formed in the aftermath.

So not only do I think of all of you and those we have lost (I miss the Big Dog) on September 11, but I think about how this day shifted my goals and how now, I am doing what I had intended to do before those planes hit the towers.

Thank you to everyone who has kept this thread alive. I have too much work to do tonight to be able to read through those posts, but I will read it again this weekend, and I will remember all of those we lost, and all of us who came together to virtually hold each other's hands as I listened to those fighter jets over my house. Much love to all.

Totally agree. This thread is a monument to an horrific day that changed the world.

Miss my old wdwmagic forum buddies

XO

macefamily

Thanks for putting this thread up. It brought that day back to me so clearly. It's actually my wedding anniversary. I remember getting out of work early and taking the wife and kids out to eat that evening. All of the TV's in the restaurant were tuned into the coverage. I remember my kids asking if the firefighters saved everybody. It was tough explaining the situation to grade schoolers. To this day, my 23 year old daughter has a fear of flying after seeing those scenes replayed over and over.

CraftyFox

I come back to this thread every year. It grounds you in a way that a lot of documentaries can’t. The way the thread evolves as the events unfold is really heart wrenching. Truly a tragic day in history. Now, and forever. Never forget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom