ID required for DVC benefits

yaksplat

Original Poster
During my trip a few weeks ago, I used the DVC discount for any food and merch purchases that I could. But twice I was shot down, because the CM wanted to see ID, in addition to what's in the app. I don't carry a wallet while in the parks. I just have my magic band and phone. These two CM's would not budge. The other couple times that i was asked for ID, the CM said, "never mind, your name will come up when i scan your band and if that matches the phone then you're fine." I had mentioned that to the two outliers, but I was still told no. It was only a few dollars, so i didn't really care to push it any further, but what's the official policy?

Have any of you run into this?

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Not DVC, but I have an AP and they almost always ask for my ID on top of my card. I have a Cedar Fair parks pass as well and they don't ask for an ID so I was thrown off at first. I just now carry it when getting discounts. Slightly inconvenient but I do like getting the discount.

Becky

The Magic Bands have the AP info BUT when you buy merchandise it is useless you have to show the AP card and an ID. It's been that way for years. Sort of silly to have info on the Magic Band but still have to carry the AP card but I can live with that.

DisneyJoe

I always carry my driver's license, one credit card, some cash and my AP card. They can ask for ID at any time, even at the gate to enter, and if their computer systems go down (which they have) you could be unable to use your MagicBand to charge a purchase or dining.

nickys

Premium Member
Back in December 2016 we found we always needed photo ID plus the blue card to get any discounts.

But they were also good at applying the discount retrospectively. So when DH forgot to ask for the discount on hoodies and tee-shirts at DHS, we went into a store at DS the next day with the receipts and ID etc, and the CM was happy to refund the discount we should have got.

From the DVC perks page on the website:

Important Information about Membership Extras:
Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective February 25, 2018, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 75 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

jaklgreen

I do think that they should be able to verify your AP or DVC status when you scan your magic band. I guess that would require that your picture pops up too. IDK if it does or not. We are getting spoiled with how easy life is getting to consider pulling out a card and ID a pain. LOL I always carry my ID with me no matter what anyway. It is just a good idea, even if you go your whole life not needing it, it's still a good thing to do.

JaxFLBear

Most of the point of sale (POS) systems at WDW don't have access to MDE, so they don't know if you have an AP or are a DVC Member. They only have access to the resort system to allow room charging.

In locations that have a held held scanner, those may have the capability to determine AP or DVC status if the application is coded for that.

DisneyJoe

Most of the point of sale (POS) systems at WDW don't have access to MDE, so they don't know if you have an AP or are a DVC Member. They only have access to the resort system to allow room charging.

In locations that have a held held scanner, those may have the capability to determine AP or DVC status if the application is coded for that.
The handheld scanners, at least in table service locations, do determine AP status and apply the discount.

Janir

During my trip a few weeks ago, I used the DVC discount for any food and merch purchases that I could. But twice I was shot down, because the CM wanted to see ID, in addition to what's in the app. I don't carry a wallet while in the parks. I just have my magic band and phone. These two CM's would not budge. The other couple times that i was asked for ID, the CM said, "never mind, your name will come up when i scan your band and if that matches the phone then you're fine." I had mentioned that to the two outliers, but I was still told no. It was only a few dollars, so i didn't really care to push it any further, but what's the official policy?

Have any of you run into this?
I was told the policy is have the card and ID for discounts. Seems many cast members would let it slide for smaller stuff but I always made sure to have mine with me. I have a cell phone with a card pocket built in as a door that I can store 3 cards into, AP DVC and ID. Only thing I have to remember is to take them OUT before turnign on the NFC to use NFC contact payments outside of Disney.

Phonedave

The handheld scanners, at least in table service locations, do determine AP status and apply the discount.

But they don't have your photo. I guess they think somebody could come in with their AP, then take their magic band and give ti to a frield so they can get a discount.

I know that they know if you have scanned into a part or not for the day with your AP. The old FP machines used to be like that. I tried using my kids APs to get FP once, but it would not let me because they had not entered the parks yet.

Maybe the AP discount systems is not tied to the park admissions, because it has to work at Disney Springs. I guess somebody who is AP or DVC could lend a magic band to a friend who is going to Disney Springs to eat and shop. Maybe that is what they are trying to prevent.

Not sure if I am OK with them having my picture on their systems. They do it on cruise ships already, but that's so if you go missing they can use it to try and find you.

-dave

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
That is how its always been.
In order to get the discount you have to show proof.
Shouldn't come as a surprise I'm sure its in print.
I'm shocked that peopole don't carry a wallet with essentials.

yaksplat

Original Poster
That is how its always been.
In order to get the discount you have to show proof.
Shouldn't come as a surprise I'm sure its in print.
I'm shocked that peopole don't carry a wallet with essentials.

I didn't say it came as a surprise. I'm saying of about 40 opportunities, i was denied twice for no ID. That's 5%. What essentials do you need that's not on your phone?

yaksplat

Original Poster
Nope, nope, nope, and nope. In a dozen trips I have yet to need any of them. Worst case scenario, I'll deal with it.

reptar77

I always carry my driver's license, one credit card, some cash and my AP card. They can ask for ID at any time, even at the gate to enter, and if their computer systems go down (which they have) you could be unable to use your MagicBand to charge a purchase or dining.
Ditto- We have actually encountered this many times

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom