Excited for the Poly!!!! ALOT of questions though..help!

Khcuttin

Original Poster
Don't laugh, but in December it will be my 32nd time going to WDW in 15 years. "Addiction to Disney" will be my next post, I promise. I always stay at Pop, or Coronado, Riverside, and the Caribbean, however I am excited to be staying at The Polynesian in December! 💜 I know NOTHING about this resort other than basic info. I have a lagoon view room. Any suggestions on a good building or room number? Kona Café? Do's and Don'ts? Weather in December? ( never have been in December ) Xmas sites and things to do? I need all the advice and tips I can. I also have a disabled 11yr old boy in a wheelchair. I want to make this trip as Magical as possible for him!! We want to experience new things, not all necessarily in the Parks. We are Passholders as well.

Weather_Lady

We've stayed there once (bucket list item) and LOVED it -- I am so excited for you!

I'd check out the Tikiman pages website about the Polynesian, and consult the map, to decide what building to request, particularly in light of your likely desire to be in an accessible room near an elevator (or on the ground floor), and near transportation. Be sure to call or fax Disney with your room requests/needs ahead of time, and be ready to politely renew those requests at check-in if they haven't been met.

We were in a DVC studio in Moorea when we were there, which if you're looking at a map appears to be far from the Grand Ceremonial House, but in reality, it was only about a 6-8 minute stroll away, since the resort isn't all that spread out. We didn't have a lagoon view (instead it was a view of lush greenery and a walking path) but we loved it! It also put us a little closer to the TTC, which was handy when we wanted to hop the monorail to Epcot (rather than the MK/resort monorail, which you can board at the Grand Ceremonial house).

We didn't eat at Kona Cafe, but we did do dinner at 'Ohana (ADRs right at 180 days are generally required) and lunch at the excellent onsite CS, Captain Cook's (as well as a breakfast of Tonga Toast which we took back to the room with us, from Captain Cook's -- it's the same as that served in Kona Cafe), and they were very good. If you have a chance to duck into Trader Sam's for some fun drinks (take note of their hours and if possible, be ready and waiting outside when they open for the day so you don't have to wait for a seat), it's a neat place, too.

We haven't been in December, so I'm afraid I can't weigh in on the holiday offerings, although there are sure to be special decorations and themed activities going on.

Have a wonderful time!

Last edited:

TongaToast21

DO enjoy: the hawaiian music piped into the resort
the tiki torches at dusk
the dole whip on site
the view of 7 Sea's Lagoon at sundown
the oasis pool (quieter pool) if you are looking for a little more relaxation

DON'T forget to get your Lei's upon entering!

I will be there from Dec 7 -14 for my first Christmas time trip as well!

KCheatle

The Poly is really beautiful!

For a room, I would request the Hawaii building. You want to stay on that side of the resort because of the location of bus station. And, that building will be closest to the pool and boat dock if you're on that side of the resort. With your son in a wheelchair, I would request a first floor room. They do have elevators in each building, but they are not very fast or very big.

Having gone in late November, I can say we needed zip up sweaters/jackets in the evening. It was nice enough for my DH and son to wear shorts and t-shirts during the day, but my daughter and I stuck to leggings and long sleeved shirts. The pools are heated, so we could still swim. It does get a bit chilling swimming at night though.

Christmas is sooooo beautiful at WDW. Going around the world showcase and seeing all of the Christmas decor is really cool. The gingerbread houses around the resorts and trees (particularly WL's tree) are amazing! They also have Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It is a separate ticketed event. It is pricey, and we are going for the first time this year. I hear its worth it, but we'll see. Do note for your planning that MK closes at 7pm on those nights, and you will get "kicked out" if you don't have a ticket to the party. Even if you don't go to the party, a lot of fun Christmas-themed snacks are offered at MK during the day that you could try.

I know Disney does special room decor for Christmas, too, that you can order if you want your room to be more festive?

kwoodfan1

Nothing I love more than a late-night-after-park order of Pork Nachos at CC...and try to sneak in a few late hours at Trader Sams. Belly up to the bar and have a blast.

Quick tip...When going to Epcot (and to a lesser extent MK), walk to Ticket and Transpo and grab Epcot and MK Express monorail there.

Hcalvert

I have stayed there twice--both times DVC (Moorea-lake view and Pago Pago-standard view). I would be staying there during my June 2020 trip, but I couldn't find anyone who had enough points or they were too expensive. So far, this is our favorite DVC. I have never ate at Kona, but normally I would recommend 'Ohana for both breakfast and dinner. I was not too impressed with 'Ohana dinner in July, but that is the first time we were disappointed in 10 visits. I always find the resort quiet and peaceful.

Khcuttin

Original Poster
We've stayed there once (bucket list item) and LOVED it -- I am so excited for you!

I'd check out the Tikiman pages website about the Polynesian, and consult the map, to decide what building to request, particularly in light of your likely desire to be in an accessible room near an elevator (or on the ground floor), and near transportation. Be sure to call or fax Disney with your room requests/needs ahead of time, and be ready to politely renew those requests at check-in if they haven't been met.

We were in a DVC studio in Moorea when we were there, which if you're looking at a map appears to be far from the Grand Ceremonial House, but in reality, it was only about a 6-8 minute stroll away, since the resort isn't all that spread out. We didn't have a lagoon view (instead it was a view of lush greenery and a walking path) but we loved it! It also put us a little closer to the TTC, which was handy when we wanted to hop the monorail to Epcot (rather than the MK/resort monorail, which you can board at the Grand Ceremonial house).

We didn't eat at Kona Cafe, but we did do dinner at 'Ohana (ADRs right at 180 days are generally required) and lunch at the excellent onsite CS, Captain Cook's (as well as a breakfast of Tonga Toast which we took back to the room with us, from Captain Cook's -- it's the same as that served in Kona Cafe), and they were very good. If you have a chance to duck into Trader Sam's for some fun drinks (take note of their hours and if possible, be ready and waiting outside when they open for the day so you don't have to wait for a seat), it's a neat place, too.

We haven't been in December, so I'm afraid I can't weigh in on the holiday offerings, although there are sure to be special decorations and themed activities going on.

Have a wonderful time!
TY VERY much!!!!

Khcuttin

Original Poster
DO enjoy: the hawaiian music piped into the resort
the tiki torches at dusk
the dole whip on site
the view of 7 Sea's Lagoon at sundown
the oasis pool (quieter pool) if you are looking for a little more relaxation

DON'T forget to get your Lei's upon entering!

I will be there from Dec 7 -14 for my first Christmas time trip as well!
Oh, I am checking in on the 15th, so Im just missing you! I will be at Pop for a few days prior...literally NOTHING was available, but its ok, my son Jack likes Pop so I don't mind. TY for your reply and I hope you have a Magical time as well!!!

Khcuttin

Original Poster
Tonga Toast....mmmmm Good! We've only been once and am by no means an expert on the resort. Disappointed we could not get reservations at O'hana, even as resort guests. Seems silly to have a table service restaurant as your main dining that requires 180 advance booking even for resort guests. They should allocate some tables for resort guests...
The lagoon view should be nice, although lower level on some buildings could be blocked by the bungalows. Pools are nice. We really enjoyed getting Dole whips one night, sitting at the main pool playing games and then enjoying the fireworks at MK (and the Electric Water Pageant).
December weather can be hot, cold, dry or wet. It's Florida. Just not as hot as summer. We visited in 2017 the week after Thanksgiving and wore shorts during the day, but sweaters at night.
Both the Grand Floridian and Contemporary have beautiful decor for Christmas, and the big gingerbread house at the GF is very cool. Easy to access via the monorail. We enjoyed visiting the resorts that year in advance of the Christmas party at MK.
Thank you for your help!! Amazing, I can't wait, lol!!!

Khcuttin

Original Poster
The Poly is really beautiful!

For a room, I would request the Hawaii building. You want to stay on that side of the resort because of the location of bus station. And, that building will be closest to the pool and boat dock if you're on that side of the resort. With your son in a wheelchair, I would request a first floor room. They do have elevators in each building, but they are not very fast or very big.

Having gone in late November, I can say we needed zip up sweaters/jackets in the evening. It was nice enough for my DH and son to wear shorts and t-shirts during the day, but my daughter and I stuck to leggings and long sleeved shirts. The pools are heated, so we could still swim. It does get a bit chilling swimming at night though.

Christmas is sooooo beautiful at WDW. Going around the world showcase and seeing all of the Christmas decor is really cool. The gingerbread houses around the resorts and trees (particularly WL's tree) are amazing! They also have Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It is a separate ticketed event. It is pricey, and we are going for the first time this year. I hear its worth it, but we'll see. Do note for your planning that MK closes at 7pm on those nights, and you will get "kicked out" if you don't have a ticket to the party. Even if you don't go to the party, a lot of fun Christmas-themed snacks are offered at MK during the day that you could try.

I know Disney does special room decor for Christmas, too, that you can order if you want your room to be more festive?
Should I buy my VMCParty tickets in advance? I will be there the week before Christmas.

Khcuttin

Original Poster
Nothing I love more than a late-night-after-park order of Pork Nachos at CC...and try to sneak in a few late hours at Trader Sams. Belly up to the bar and have a blast.

Quick tip...When going to Epcot (and to a lesser extent MK), walk to Ticket and Transpo and grab Epcot and MK Express monorail there.
Thank you for the tips!! Im looking forward to those Nachos!!!

Khcuttin

Original Poster
I have stayed there twice--both times DVC (Moorea-lake view and Pago Pago-standard view). I would be staying there during my June 2020 trip, but I couldn't find anyone who had enough points or they were too expensive. So far, this is our favorite DVC. I have never ate at Kona, but normally I would recommend 'Ohana for both breakfast and dinner. I was not too impressed with 'Ohana dinner in July, but that is the first time we were disappointed in 10 visits. I always find the resort quiet and peaceful.
Thank you! Its always great to hear from people who have had both good and not so good experiences! 1 out of 10 isn't that bad, lol!!

Khcuttin

Original Poster

Have a wonderful time!
Im checking out that Tikiman site!!

Khcuttin

Original Poster
Don't laugh, but in December it will be my 32nd time going to WDW in 15 years. "Addiction to Disney" will be my next post, I promise. I always stay at Pop, or Coronado, Riverside, and the Caribbean, however I am excited to be staying at The Polynesian in December! 💜 I know NOTHING about this resort other than basic info. I have a lagoon view room. Any suggestions on a good building or room number? Kona Café? Do's and Don'ts? Weather in December? ( never have been in December ) Xmas sites and things to do? I need all the advice and tips I can. I also have a disabled 11yr old boy in a wheelchair. I want to make this trip as Magical as possible for him!! We want to experience new things, not all necessarily in the Parks. We are Passholders as well.
Such wonderful tips and advice from all of you! I can't thank you all enough for your well wishes and helping to make this trip extra special with all of your replies 🌺

ZĂ©_Carioca

1) With a lagoon view room I would recommend watching the Electrical Water Pageant from the room one night and if you have a good view, maybe the MK fireworks, if not, the beach is a great place to watch the fireworks
2) Love Kona for breakfast, one of my favorite on property. Haven't been for the other meals so I can't say.
3) Dos:
- Reserve a pool/resort day to explore how beautiful the Poly is!
-Visit Trader Sam's before 8 (it is open to kids and the special effects inside can be fun) they have mocktails and some tasty appetizers. The outside terrace is nice as well since they have ukulele performances sometimes.
4) December can have chilly nights so bring clothes for the morning and "cozy" clothes for the night (if needed).
5) For Christmas I always recommend having a Resort day. All of the resorts have such beautiful decoration! You're right at the monorail loop so take advantage of it to visit the Contemporary's cookie display and the Gran Floridian's gingerbread house!

The holidays are my favorite at Disney so definitely do not miss a Christmas party at MK and stop by Epcot for the Festival of the Holidays to learn about holiday traditions from around the world. When at Epcot, take a boat to the hotels near the Boardwalk because they also have amazing decorations. At Hollywood Studios they have Sunset Greetings where it "snows"on sunset blvd. It has my favorite holiday vibe all around. I also know that this year they are bringing the holidays to Animal Kingdom as well which will be interesting! All the offerings at the parks are included with the regular ticket, with the exception of MK where you need a special Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party ticket!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom