6-year-old surprised with free Disney trip after using birthday money to help Hurricane Dorian evacuees

JustAFan

Original Poster
They should make a Misery sub-forum for everyone who just wants to commiserate and hear themselves talk.

It’s the height of ridiculousness around here.
Agreed. At the risk of sounding really rude and condescending, I seriously wonder why some people come here. I don't believe Disney is all sunshine and sprinkles, but why be so negative? I just don't get it.

bsiev1977

Wow, what for work did that kid do to put away his money for a year and be able to pay for a Disney trip?

Different places are reporting different things. This said birthday money and his family saved. Other places are saying he saved up. Which is it? Something's fishy here...

There's plenty of people doing a lot more good for the world than a 6 year old spending his parents tax write off "charitable donation" that Disney could be rewarding.
I hate to say it, I agree there’s something a little off about this story.

From the pictures of Disney showing up to the family’s home, looks like they have a really nice place. Seems odd that a seemingly well off family is having their 6 year save up for a vacation.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
???? wait, a kid does a good deed and Disney is at fault because they raised ticket prices?? lol we are slowly approaching the "tin foil hats" line
No, Disney's not at fault for good deeds, and I'm actually glad the kid got a break, but they ARE at fault for creating a climate in which people attribute their motives behind everything they do to money-grubbing and self-promotion.
Hang around, I'm sure some one will say that Bob Iger is actually stealing the money and kicking the kid down the stairs. lol
Nobody is going to say that.

That would be actionable libel, especially if there's no proof.

eliza61nyc

From the pictures of Disney showing up to the family’s home, looks like they have a really nice place. Seems odd that a seemingly well off family is having their 6 year save up for a vacation.
Actually it's great, teaches kids the value of money. My children got paid, had bank accounts and saved for their wdw vacations from day one. Now if course we didn't expect them to buy park tickets but they had budgets. It was actually cool to watch them analyze if a toy was worth the money.

Tom P.

Teaching children to save their money, to know the value of a dollar, to be charitable with their money, and to associate money with hard work are never bad things to teach, regardless of how "well off" a particular family is.

Mouse Trap

How do you know that's their house? They could be living with other family members, grandparents, brothers or even friends. You have no idea what their financial circumstance is. Maybe it was more important for them to invest in a good home to raise their children in instead of having money to put aside for Disney vacations?

It's really not that big of a deal to me, but it's disheartening how people on this forum want to spit all over this kid and Disney because, like it or not, it is a good deed on both ends. Seems like a certain few on this forum might even be JEALOUS of this kid.

Janir

Wow, what for work did that kid do to put away his money for a year and be able to pay for a Disney trip?

Different places are reporting different things. This said birthday money and his family saved. Other places are saying he saved up. Which is it? Something's fishy here...

There's plenty of people doing a lot more good for the world than a 6 year old spending his parents tax write off "charitable donation" that Disney could be rewarding.
Differing reports on the story. Kid used his SAVED money to BE used on his Disney trip. VS saved money by the parents to take the trip is my guess.

bubbles1812

Good God, the cynicism in this thread is so over the top. Yes it was obviously a PR opportunity. But this kid did something sweet and good and they rewarded him for it. It’s totally fine. It was a nice story in a world of mostly not nice stories.

I’m not one to always defend Disney but they and their cast members do thousands of non publicized acts of kindness every day. Last trip, my mom expressed a little disappointment cause she didn’t realize she’d booked a parking lot view at POR. A silly little complaint and one she would have lived with just fine and was going to live with just fine but the CM we were working with upgraded us free of charge. It was a kindness that we did not expect and were not looking for. Stuff like happens every day at the Parks. Look at how they go above and beyond for the Wish Kids.

I’m not going to begrudge the company one PR opportunity when its rep is made on making magic and wishes happen. And the story allows kids out there to think about trying to make a difference in a difficult world and hey, that that kindness does get rewarded sometimes. It’s not just about PR for Disney.

Yeesh.

(Also, to the person who expressed skepticism that this kid had to save for Disney... Going as a kid, we were expected to bring our own money for treats and souvenirs. I am gratefully from a solidly upper middle class family and there was no obligation on my parent’s part to make us save for a vacation. The money we saved came from our allowances and money earned from chores. So yes, technically it was still my father’s money, but in my eyes, it was money I’d earned and knew the value of. It made me really think about what I wanted on trips. It’s an important lesson and one I feel is a fairly normal one parents teach?)

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Some parents teach their children early on that it takes work to accomplish something you want in life. Good things come from being responsible for ones self and not expect something for nothing. Kudos to them for teaching their child responsibility and to think of others in need. It doesnt matter that the parents live in a nice place or even if they could pay his way. They want him to learn the value of working and doing the right thing.
Too many on this site look for ulterior motives... Disney and this kid must not be doing this for the right reason. Dont give greedy, manipulative Disney or this family credit. Sad, Sad, SAD.

Minthorne

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Absolutely referring to Disney and Good Morning America and *possibly*(maybe I should use the word *probably*)the family. As of now I don't see any direct evidence that family broadcasted deed but it very, very much looks like they did one way or another.

Somebody notified entertainment. Disgusting.

As for donations and personal labor to help others true selflessness is done on the low down and quiet and if such beautiful deed is by chance discovered it should not turn into an opportunity to showboat and brag.
Allendale is a very, very poor, rural county of South Carolina with absolutely nothing to do. My dad was actually called over there to be an elementary school principal there for a good while and turned the school district around (until he left. This was years ago).

So, honestly, a kid doing some kind of deed like this during the events of Dorian is probably the biggest most exciting news this town has received in years. It’s not a city, where a bunch of people are donating on every corner. I guarantee you, nobody else in the area was donating free food unless a bunch of churches got together.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

If you live permanently in Allendale, I wouldnt consider that well off. I’m impressed with the nice house though.

mousehockey37

Some parents teach their children early on that it takes work to accomplish something you want in life. Good things come from being responsible for ones self and not expect something for nothing. Kudos to them for teaching their child responsibility and to think of others in need. It doesnt matter that the parents live in a nice place or even if they could pay his way. They want him to learn the value of working and doing the right thing.
Too many on this site look for ulterior motives... Disney and this kid must not be doing this for the right reason. Dont give greedy, manipulative Disney or this family credit. Sad, Sad, SAD.

So they were from Florida, in South Carolina visiting. With a hurricane on the way, instead of preparing or heading home, they were having a cookout for evacuees?

It seems that they were supposed to be in Disney right after the hurricane went through. So, were they in SC to collect granny and head for Disney and the hurricane cancelled their plans? Maybe?

What can be seen is... This family staged their kid as a beacon in the darkness of the hurricane and the public bought it. Someone had to post something to make it go viral... enter family. I'm not sure most people who are trying to get away from the path of a storm are stopping for free roadside dogs and chips. The thought is nice, but when looking at the videos, that road isn't heavily traveled at all.

Disney fell for a desperation trap on social media.

As I said before, there are many things done by good people everyday that go unnoticed or unrewarded. When any of us donate at the cash register while shopping to help with things like St. Jude's, PetSmart,etc, are we expecting Disney to notice? No, that's foolish. So why was this any different?

In my opinion, this lady on the other hand... is a hero: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...-protect-them-hurricane-dorian/?noredirect=on

Please take note that it does make sure to mention she had an ongoing fundraiser from BEFORE the arrival of the hurricane.

True heroes don't search for accolades and fame.

JIMINYCR

So they were from Florida, in South Carolina visiting. With a hurricane on the way, instead of preparing or heading home, they were having a cookout for evacuees?

It seems that they were supposed to be in Disney right after the hurricane went through. So, were they in SC to collect granny and head for Disney and the hurricane cancelled their plans? Maybe?

What can be seen is... This family staged their kid as a beacon in the darkness of the hurricane and the public bought it. Someone had to post something to make it go viral... enter family. I'm not sure most people who are trying to get away from the path of a storm are stopping for free roadside dogs and chips. The thought is nice, but when looking at the videos, that road isn't heavily traveled at all.

Disney fell for a desperation trap on social media.

As I said before, there are many things done by good people everyday that go unnoticed or unrewarded. When any of us donate at the cash register while shopping to help with things like St. Jude's, PetSmart,etc, are we expecting Disney to notice? No, that's foolish. So why was this any different?

In my opinion, this lady on the other hand... is a hero: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...-protect-them-hurricane-dorian/?noredirect=on

Please take note that it does make sure to mention she had an ongoing fundraiser from BEFORE the arrival of the hurricane.

True heroes don't search for accolades and fame.
I agree there are many cases of people giving of themselves in many ways without looking for recognition or recompense. Yes they are true heroes. But theres no proof that this young boy or his parents scammed Disney for a free trip. YOURE being cinical and reading something into this thats a supposition on you part. You have no proof that this was a set up , just as much as I have no proof it wasnt. I'm sure Disney gets lots of people looking to freeload off of them, and checked this situation out beforehand. Sure its a good photo op for them but any business takes advantage of all situations that publicizes them in a good light. Still they arent going to let themselves be taken advantage of. It was a nice story that if true, Kudos to the boy and his family. If not, them shame on them. I would rather look for the good heartedness of the kid and his family. As a previous poster stated earlier, they apparently know the family and said he was a good kid. Good kids from good families looking to scam Disney? Sure it could happen, but probabilities are low.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom