News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

DisneyCane

I know. That is terribly sad.

I know they likely will say that they can't do it, but wouldn't it be nice if one of those cruising cities from Disney or Royal Caribbean or the others takes a week off (reschedule someone's Bahamas cruise) and instead takes the ship down to the Bahamas when the storm is over and becomes a temporary shelter for at least a week while those who lost everything begin to pick up the pieces? They would be "giving back" to a community that normally provides them a great attraction for tourist stops.
While that would be a nice gesture, unfortunately those poor people will need temporary shelter for a lot longer than a week.

I'm not sure if structures built to the post Andrew codes could have withstood those winds for that long. I can't even imagine what it was like trying to survive the wind and storm surge in the Bahamas.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Seriously, be safe everyone. I’m a foreigner so won’t tell you what to do. You know better than I. Just make sure you do it.

Foreigner? More like a British cousin, you know...the whole ‘special relationship’ thing lol. Regardless, this is the first thing I thought of when I read your comment:
E502F90E-8BB7-4A9A-9CEF-AAF742782DB5.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn't say (or mean to imply) they were. Just that there are more storms brewing in the Atlantic basin; it's quite busy right now.
Why be logical about what’s going on in the region?
Some people have EMM, AHM, MNSSHP, MVMCP, and BHTVG booked this week...and that live trip report won’t be interesting if we don’t refocus now.
Embassy of the Bahamas donation information:
https://www.facebook.com/embahdc/
Threw some money their way. I do patronize cruises and it’s only fair to show a tiny bit of compassion for the situation.
This is vey good of Disney to do:

Agree...the responsible thing for them to do. Bravo.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
One article about the devastation on Grand Bahama and Abaco:

The photos are unfathomable

Da Bird is Da Word

Made 7 1/2 hr drive from Augusta to Orlando via I-75 S, the weather was wonderful and there was no traffic the entire trip. Didn’t see the first sign of rainfall until we were 36 minutes away from Orlando, and it was only mild sprinkling. Made great time! Forecast shows it’ll be thunderstorms tomorrow. Might put a damper on things, but oh well. This’ll be my first time in Magic Kingdom in 12 years and my girlfriend’s first time going..😁

disney4life2008

Made 7 1/2 hr drive from Augusta to Orlando via I-75 S, the weather was wonderful and there was no traffic the entire trip. Didn’t see the first sign of rainfall until we were 36 minutes away from Orlando, and it was only mild sprinkling. Made great time! Forecast shows it’ll be thunderstorms tomorrow. Might put a damper on things, but oh well. This’ll be my first time in Magic Kingdom in 12 years and my girlfriend’s first time going..😁

Yea absolutely nothing is happening here. I have seen worst weather at 4pm. It's clear and cool tonight.

mj2v

Disney Springs was bizarre yesterday. I mean, I get it with the change in operation times.

Hardly any of the non Disney locations were open after 3 when they changed the closing time to 8.

It was surreal walking around.

The dine in theaters did not open at all and the regular screens did, but only for movies starting up until about 4.

JohnD

You made the right choice. You would have had bad weather all along the I-95 corridor and I-4 if you came that way because of rain bands that extend way out.

John park hopper

Gabrielle according to the National Hurricane Center track has it going north and no threat to the USA at all. Thank you hurricane gods

Sitting here in Coastal SC lower widows boarded up generator ready to go just starting to see some rain from Dorian. Expected to see tropical force winds and hurricane force gusts.

seascape

Disney stepped up to help the Bahamas, so now its time for Universal to match them. They may not own a cruise line but they have a deal with one partnering on a combo vacation so there is no excuse for them not to help their neighbors. Disney is constantly helping and is one of the most generous companies in America. It should make all of us happy that they don't just keep all of our money for their benefit but use some of it for the benefit of others.

Timmay

Does anyone know about how much time it takes an average tropical storm to cross the atlantic? Looking at the one under Gabrielle which is expected to turn into a tropical storm over the weekend.

We will have a better idea in a few days. But then again, from what we saw with Dorian...the models will change a lot. The track of the wave itself isn’t encouraging right now. We will see.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Disney stepped up to help the Bahamas, so now its time for Universal to match them. They may not own a cruise line but they have a deal with one partnering on a combo vacation so there is no excuse for them not to help their neighbors. Disney is constantly helping and is one of the most generous companies in America. It should make all of us happy that they don't just keep all of our money for their benefit but use some of it for the benefit of others.
Did I miss something? Can you fill me in on what Disney has helped with?

Figment82

Disney Springs was bizarre yesterday. I mean, I get it with the change in operation times.

Hardly any of the non Disney locations were open after 3 when they changed the closing time to 8.

It was surreal walking around.

The dine in theaters did not open at all and the regular screens did, but only for movies starting up until about 4.

Completely agree. Seeing places like Starbucks, Raglan, Ghirardelli, and Uniqlo closed was quite an odd sight.

I was so grateful they extended their operating hours and we were able to go later in the afternoon. We desperately needed the time away from the house. We were able to get a walk-up reservation at Homecomin’ (Art Smith was there making the rounds). We left around 7:15 and there were still people coming in through the Lime garage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom