D23 - What a joke.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's so not true. IP isn't the problem, but rather the correct or incorrect application of said IP is.

The inclusion or lack of IP makes a park absolutely no more or less unique. EPCOT's claim to fame shouldn't SIMPLY be the 'park withour characters'

If IP is executed properly then it is inconsequential to storytelling on a broad scale, or at least not detrimental to it. The way to make each park stand on its own is thematic and nor based on amount of previously existing franchise.

I've not been to Tokyo but I have been to California, and no it doesn't 'blow WDW out of the water' at all. In quality it's mostly comparable just on a smaller scale, although DL is... more filled with attractions than MK.

People are way too hard on WDW. I had massive expectations for DL and somehow it fulfilled all of them because it was the great... but if I had to chose one, I still think WDW is superior if not only based upon scale and diversity of park line up. DL is fantastic but I found DCA to be surprising weak - and it felt tiny in, honestly, kind of a bad way.
Disagree...

And Disneyland is superior for the simple fact they haven’t abandoned/limited the patrons ceiling for how much they can do in one day.

Wdw is still woefully behind on the amount of capacity on its attractions - which is the point of going there. It’s now bogged down in a reservation system that drives upsells.

I’m ok with IP. But instead of taking 4 years to build ratatouille(l (a clone...by the way)...build 3 good IP rides in 5 years

It Is What It Is

My expectations were high. At the end of the Parks panel, I was disappointed. Of course there were going to be a bunch of announcements that Disney were holding back. Things that even our insiders didn't have info on. Okay, okay, their going to go out big, what's going to be after this Make-a-Wish segment?

And Brazil, that was a sure thing, right? .....what happened, how did my expectations get so exaggeratied?

Exhale, breathe, practice your motto, it is what it is.

...It's a few days later, I've arrived at the church basement, chairs are set up, a couple dozen others are also here, its my turn to share...

Hi, I'm Todd. 'Hi Todd', ...Im a Disney addict... Umm, I went on a binge the other day, partied hard, I got out of hand....

But guess what? I can see I have a lot to be thankful for: Future Epcot looks amazing! Hopefully one day I'll get to see Lighthouse Point. Avengers Campus, I think I might like it.

No Brazil pavilion to look forward to? Maybe, maybe not. No Disneyland Tomorrowland refurb? I'm sure it will happen, they just didn't want to say something now. Zootpoia in Animal Kingdom? Who knows?! But I'm going to be okay.

I'm going to need your help, the next time the holidays come around, I'm afraid I might fall off the wagon again. It's hard, when its right in front of your face, the temptations are real.

Thanks for letting me share.

BlakeW39

Disagree...

And Disneyland is superior for the simple fact they haven’t abandoned/limited the patrons ceiling for how much they can do in one day.

Wdw is still woefully behind on the amount of capacity on its attractions - which is the point of going there. It’s now bogged down in a reservation system that drives upsells.

I’m ok with IP. But instead of taking 4 years to build ratatouille(l (a clone...by the way)...build 3 good IP rides in 5 years

See but you're judging WDW with a lens of what you know could or should be. An objective view not acknowledging these biases. Pretend you're a person who knows next to nothing about what was abandonded or cut. Then we see the parks for what they truly are.

Disneyland feels crowd-controlled to a far greater extent which is good, and it makes use of its space. However DCA is just really weak. Overall WDW is far more grandiose and on a greater scale - 4 theme parks and 2 water parks. We talk about how the parks are homogenized but in general they really aren't. Each one has unique offerings. WDW has more attractions, better attractions, and more good attractions as well as more diverse attractions. They have a better Pirates, we have SSE. They have the Matterhorn ans we have EE. We both have JC but we have Kili. We both have Soarin' but we have FoP. Etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See but you're judging WDW with a lens of what you know could or should be. An objective view not acknowledging these biases. Pretend you're a person who knows next to nothing about what was abandonded or cut. Then we see the parks for what they truly are.

Disneyland feels crowd-controlled to a far greater extent which is good, and it makes use of its space. However DCA is just really weak. Overall WDW is far more grandiose and on a greater scale - 4 theme parks and 2 water parks. We talk about how the parks are homogenized but in general they really aren't. Each one has unique offerings. WDW has more attractions, better attractions, and more good attractions as well as more diverse attractions. They have a better Pirates, we have SSE. They have the Matterhorn ans we have EE. We both have JC but we have Kili. We both have Soarin' but we have FoP. Etc.
I see your point...but why am I imagining busting myself down to rookie paygrade?

How is that beneficial to the rookies or me?

I see all the time “that’s not their target audience” about basically every demographic they serve...huh? That’s crazy...we are all the target in a matrix like strategy.

So while the newbies fall where you are putting them. They evolve out of that...and only us “oldies” can apply the pressure to make them do more than the minimum in the parks.

And we honestly haven’t been doing a good enough job at that.

I encourage everyone: go to Disneyland...go to Paris (best city on earth anyway)...go to tokyo.
Never trust something can’t be better.

Genie_naughty_whispers

Here's some positive in your negative soup...

I'm guessing no one in this thread even experienced the LAST round of announcements for the parks...

Theres SWGE
TRON
RUNAWAY TRAIN
FRANCE RAT RIDE (not the official name)
SPACE 220
REFECTIONS
GUARDIANS OF GALAXY
THE NEW EPCOT
RIVIERA
.........and that's just a few..

we are all going to be ok. Breathe deep...calm blue ocean....

Lol. Galaxy’s edge.

Goofyernmost

Here's some positive in your negative soup...

I'm guessing no one in this thread even experienced the LAST round of announcements for the parks...

Theres SWGE
TRON
RUNAWAY TRAIN
FRANCE RAT RIDE (not the official name)
SPACE 220
REFECTIONS
GUARDIANS OF GALAXY
THE NEW EPCOT
RIVIERA
.........and that's just a few..

we are all going to be ok. Breathe deep...calm blue ocean....
Like it or not, we must include Toy Story Land as well.

Goofyernmost

We'll just have to agree to disagree. There's a lot going on, and while it doesn't meet the expectations of many, it's a lot more than they could have planned considering the upcoming recession and all...
Sorry, but that cannot be true. Why just the other day a relatively higher up in the U.S. told the world that we are in great shape, never better in history, we all have extra money to spend and the sun shines bright in our old Kentucky home. I, for one, expect to be spending tons of money just as soon as I am able to find where it was hidden.
Rory McIlroy just found $15 mil. for a weeks play. Based on 5 days that is a mere $3,000,000.00 a day. So is it possible that excess is hidden somewhere in Atlanta?
Now back to our regularly scheduled coma inducing topic.

BlakeW39

I see your point...but why am I imagining busting myself down to rookie paygrade?

How is that beneficial to the rookies or me?

I see all the time “that’s not their target audience” about basically every demographic they serve...huh? That’s crazy...we are all the target in a matrix like strategy.

So while the newbies fall where you are putting them. They evolve out of that...and only us “oldies” can apply the pressure to make them do more than the minimum in the parks.

And we honestly haven’t been doing a good enough job at that.

I encourage everyone: go to Disneyland...go to Paris (best city on earth anyway)...go to tokyo.
Never trust something can’t be better.

I didn't say to bust yourself down. But rather not to let feelings such as nostalgia or wanting a previously ignored decision instead to hinder your ability to enjoy what is and judge, artistically, from a fair and objective POV. Comparing what is to what is not isn't helpful to you or the parks, or accurate either.

Of course we're the target demographic. The belief that Disney's demographic are newbies which have never been is false because they thrive on guest return rate. But most guests who like Disney enough to go to both FL and CA but are not on these cynical boards nor caught up in old attractions or passed ideas almost always prefer WDW, because it's bigger and more grandiose. And similarly priced park for park.

And yes I agree we haven't done a good job of negatively reinforcing Disney to make better decisions at WDW. That's because we like it too much to stop paying for it. Complaining about it only on these forums but then going once a year isn't going to speak as loudly as staying home or going to Universal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn't say to bust yourself down. But rather not to let feelings such as nostalgia or wanting a previously ignored decision instead to hinder your ability to enjoy what is and judge, artistically, from a fair and objective POV. Comparing what is to what is not isn't helpful to you or the parks, or accurate either.

Of course we're the target demographic. The belief that Disney's demographic are newbies which have never been is false because they thrive on guest return rate. But most guests who like Disney enough to go to both FL and CA but are not on these cynical boards nor caught up in old attractions or passed ideas almost always prefer WDW, because it's bigger and more grandiose. And similarly priced park for park.

And yes I agree we haven't done a good job of negatively reinforcing Disney to make better decisions at WDW. That's because we like it too much to stop paying for it. Complaining about it only on these forums but then going once a year isn't going to speak as loudly as staying home or going to Universal.
You just put me in a boat where I don’t belong...

I’m not a “nostalgic” guy...I’m a “make smart longterm moves to maintain/reinforce the value of your product and not make it vulnerable in the future”

You’d be surprised how that motivation is 100% inline with insisting on quality and sound financial decisions.

chriskbrown

Hollywood Studios was regularly blasted 4 years ago for being under developed / needing refurbishment. So we get 2 new lands, with 4 new attractions by end of 2019. And a replacement attraction for the Great Movie Ride - yes, it was an original but let's be honest it was a walk on attraction for years. We should be grateful ..

Anders Limpar

Hollywood Studios was regularly blasted 4 years ago for being under developed / needing refurbishment. So we get 2 new lands, with 4 new attractions by end of 2019. And a replacement attraction for the Great Movie Ride - yes, it was an original but let's be honest it was a walk on attraction for years. We should be grateful ..

How many attractions did we lose? It's still underdeveloped and needs more capacity.

We should be grateful to pay north of $115 for a park that barely cracks double digit attractions.

Raineman

And yet you seem passionate and fixated about this random Walrus guy on The internet.
Nope, I just don't understand that kind of reaction, or that type of reaction in general by anyone that's very into any area of recreation or entertainment, which covers film, TV, sports, music, etc. Everything but my initial post has been a reply to someone else, including this one, so I'm not fixated at all.

Jon81uk

How many attractions did we lose? It's still underdeveloped and needs more capacity.

We should be grateful to pay north of $115 for a park that barely cracks double digit attractions.
Pretty much lost two attractions (Lights Motors Action and the Backlot Tour) to gain four (Slinky, Aliens, Falcon, Resistance). There is definitely a net gain at DHS as the backlot stuff hadn't been relevant ever since lights motors action opened and removed most of the backlot. They do need to replace the animation building with another two rides in the next few years and urgently replace all the shows, but the park is in a much better place than 10 years ago.

Anders Limpar

Pretty much lost two attractions (Lights Motors Action and the Backlot Tour) to gain four (Slinky, Aliens, Falcon, Resistance). There is definitely a net gain at DHS as the backlot stuff hadn't been relevant ever since lights motors action opened and removed most of the backlot. They do need to replace the animation building with another two rides in the next few years and urgently replace all the shows, but the park is in a much better place than 10 years ago.

I'm not a big fan of the loss of capacity. I'd also not be a big fan if we don't get anything else in the park for 7-10 years. If they keep adding ride/attractions/capacity then I agree.

Really, this isn't an original idea because a million people have already suggested it, but they should have kept GMR and updated it. MMRR should have gone in the animation building. Launch Bay has to go sooner rather than later though. I'd be ok with replacing Mermaid with a ride as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Net gain isn’t much - however - and they have kinda landlocked the park with the hotel and the skyliner.

We should revisit this kinda thought this time next year and see what the park looks like?

mikenatcity1

Disney focused on their movies and Disney+ presentations this year. Our group got a clue this could be a quieter year for Parks when it was moved to Sunday- what is usually one of the most sought after panels moved to the final day didn't seem normal. When talking to people at the Expo, most said they didn't want to wait for Parks after waiting for Legends, Movies and +.

Was it the greatest announcement time? No. Was it exciting to be in the room? Yes. There were a few surprises that caught people off guard. It makes me wonder if convention in WDW next year (if it's confirmed) will have more, especially when dealing with the Disney Wish and WDW's 50th.

Captain Barbossa

Yes, I will admit that most of the announcements were less than stellar, but I also think that a certain someone is mad, and slightly embarrassed, because a rumoured attraction for AK, that this certain someone was very confident in and made a thread about it saying an announcement was expected at D23, ain't happening. Well, at least for now. Anyways, since this person was incorrect and the announcement wasn't made, the D23 expo was a complete waste, and we are all suppose to hate it. Makes sense, right? You know, the whole my way or the highway deal.

Raineman

Yes, I will admit that most of the announcements were less than stellar, but I also think that a certain someone is mad, and slightly embarrassed, because a rumoured attraction for AK, that this certain someone was very confident in and made a thread about it saying an announcement was expected at D23, ain't happening. Well, at least for now. Anyways, since this person was incorrect and the announcement wasn't made, the D23 expo was a complete waste, and we are all suppose to hate it. Makes sense, right? You know, the whole my way or the highway deal.
Isn't it great how many "insiders" we have on here that act like they always have the inside scoop on any additions/changes at WDW, and continually say "this WILL happen" instead of "this MIGHT happen"? If I hear something from @marni1971 , I'm interested. Pretty much everybody else, it's just rumors and speculation, nothing more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom