Is Anybody Else Annoyed With Hyperspace Mountain's Stay?

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Edit: Hyperspace Mountain will be closing on Jan 7th, 2020 and Space Mountain will return just a few days after. See page 9.

Original Post:

Fact: Since it's inception in 2015, we've had more days of Hyperspace Mountain, than we've had of Space Mountain.

If you enjoy the ride (and chances are, a majority of you probably do), I respect that. I found it enjoyable the first couple of times and I can see why someone would continue to enjoy it. However, after the first couple of visits I started thinking "okay, you've sort of overstayed your welcome.. bring back Space Mountain". And then it went on for another year before they brought back Space for a limited time... and moved HSM back in.

Am I the only one who's truly annoyed by this? It's bad enough TDA has been on a careless modification spree with my childhood favorite(s) across the esplanade, but now one of my Disneyland favorites is getting the same treatment without the "official" branding of HSM being permanent - though it feels like it. It's even gotten to the point where they've scratched Ghost Galaxy for this year.. I'm not a fan of any overlay for Space (Ghost Galaxy, for that matter), but I find it unsettling they've opted to keep HSM in.

Last edited:

Rich T

I can't stand Ghost Galaxy, so I'm fine with HSM taking its slot, but I hope for "real" SM to return ASAP. Either that or just convert TL into Star Wars Land 2 a la Diagon Alley, keep Star Tours and turn Buzz into "Ren's Childhood Coloring Book Zap-a-doo." and the subs into "Naboo Lagoon." Go ahead and just trash DL, Disney!!! I don't care anymore! *sobs*

Rich T

...I think this is done as a way to promote Star Wars, the land and the new film (which comes out in December).
This is something that blows my mind about Disney's in-park tie-ins. What possible difference could Hyperspace Mtn. make in the promotion of GE or the latest SW movie? "Well, dadgum, I'm glad Disney turned Space Mountain into Hyperspace Mountain, 'cause I plum nearly fergot that newfangled Star Wars moshun picheer iz in the the-ate-ers!" :D

mikenatcity1

I may be in the minority- I have been trying to get to Hyperspace Mountain since the first time they did it but always missed it. I was there this past weekend and was excited to experience it. It's nice to experience something different from time to time. I found myself migrating to the attractions that were different than normal and less about the ones that are always the same.

That being said, i'm over Ghost Galaxy...

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I can't stand Ghost Galaxy, so I'm fine with HSM taking its slot, but I hope for "real" SM to return ASAP. Either that or just convert TL into Star Wars Land 2 a la Diagon Alley, keep Star Tours and turn Buzz into "Ren's Childhood Coloring Book Zap-a-doo." and the subs into "Naboo Lagoon." Go ahead and just trash DL, Disney!!! I don't care anymore! *sobs*

PREACH! Except DCA is on the verge of being dead to me (if not for Cars Land and SoC's return, it would be to me). Disneyland still has magic but man TDA execs are doing their best to change that with most of their changes.. not all, but most.

I'm glad Ghost Galaxy is gone and would be thankful if it didn't come back. That ride is not thrilling or scary, which are the two things a roller coaster should be.

I agree Hyperspace is fun the first few times but that the orginal holds up better. I was really angry when it was in the parks a year and a half straight. My guess is that once we reach Jan/Feb it will be back to normal. I think this is done as a way to promote Star Wars, the land and the new film (which comes out in December).

I hope you're right. I was hoping SM would return for my possible visit in December, but i'm not sure. I personally believe in the term "SW Fatigue".. mainly after Kennedy and Johnson killed the new trilogy. Except we have to deal with it in the parks now.

I may be in the minority- I have been trying to get to Hyperspace Mountain since the first time they did it but always missed it. I was there this past weekend and was excited to experience it. It's nice to experience something different from time to time. I found myself migrating to the attractions that were different than normal and less about the ones that are always the same.

That being said, i'm over Ghost Galaxy...

Give it time, you'll eventually feel the same way about HSM as you do with Ghost Galaxy :p

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are many people to blame for killing Star Wars. Kennedy, Iger, Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, and Johnson are all factors. As series ruining as TLJ was, I think Force Awakens is equally as responsible.

Bob letting Lucasfilm do their thing after so many issues and red flags is mindblowing.

I love you...I really do...unconditionally.

We might not have much...and it may be hard at times...but I think we could be “truly happy” together 😉

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
There are many people to blame for killing Star Wars. Kennedy, Iger, Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, and Johnson are all factors. As series ruining as TLJ was, I think Force Awakens is equally as responsible.

Bob letting Lucasfilm do their thing after so many issues and red flags is mindblowing.

Haha don't scold me for this but I did enjoy TFA. It was too familiar to Episode 4, but I was engaged for a lot of it.

The Last Jedi however was absolute garbage and felt like a spin-off.. a parody, almost, and threw away almost everything TFA built up. That and I have a number of other complaints that probably belong in the politics section.

Either way.. I believe SW at Disney parks is getting super dated, and Disney execs are doubling down with it everywhere. This property re-skin bull needs to stop :banghead:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Haha don't scold me for this but I did enjoy TFA. It was too familiar to Episode 4, but I was engaged for a lot of it.

The Last Jedi however was absolute garbage and felt like a spin-off.. a parody, almost, and threw away almost everything TFA built up. That and I have a number of other complaints that probably belong in the politics section.

Either way.. I believe SW at Disney parks is getting super dated, and Disney execs are doubling down with it everywhere. This property re-skin bull needs to stop :banghead:
I’d love to reply to you here...but I don’t want to carjack this one

wowsmom

Space Mountain is one of my absolute favorites and has been since it opened. I really don't like the overlays. I've only ridden Ghost Galaxy once, years ago - that was enough. I liked Hyperspace when it first came out, but after that first run, I' was sick of it and now rarely ride it. I actually rode it a couple weeks ago since my brother was visiting and he wanted to. It reminded me how much I miss the classic. 😭

D.Silentu

A quick word in defense of Ghost Galaxy. Despite its flaws it is the closest thing to a scary attraction that Disneyland has ever had; Snow White is debatable. While not so scary for adults, the time I rode it it I observed nervous children and my friend actually started at one point. I doubt Disney would ever push the fear factor further than that, but I appreciated that they dipped into it at least once.

Love or loathe Galaxy's Edge, Star Wars now has a home at Disneyland. It is time for Hyperspace Mountain to retire, and hopefully some effort goes into the restoration of Space Mountain's return. Keep the lasers, change their color and sound, and the ride can have comets zipping by us.

Californian Elitist

A quick word in defense of Ghost Galaxy. Despite its flaws it is the closest thing to a scary attraction that Disneyland has ever had; Snow White is debatable. While not so scary for adults, the time I rode it it I observed nervous children and my friend actually started at one point. I doubt Disney would ever push the fear factor further than that, but I appreciated that they dipped into it at least once.

I’ve seen scared children at many rides in the park, most of them in Fantasyland. Crying/nervous children left and right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom