The brutal truth of where EPCOT is headed...

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
At D23 there was a big guitar leaning against the Mexico pavilion in the model (is this a hint Coco is coming?) . YES SSE will be down for a couple of years, it was just announced at D23.

I think (hope) the land is staying the same.

The guitar is a different model to the one Miguel uses in the movie. Though one probably shouldn't read much into it.

FQL

It's great that you liked it so much (as did I in 1984) but the general publicly strongly preferred the MK - even during EPCOT Center's "golden years" in the 80s. That, combined with the astronomical cost of keeping Future World "futuristic" was what killed the original EPCOT Center.

EPCOT Center is like the dud movie that a large chunk of people loved.... but it was a still, relatively speaking, a dud.
It was like a great film that no one appreciated when it was in theaters, but now it’s a cult classic. And the studio is afraid to put out anything creative and original so now we are stuck with sequels and superheroes.

FQL

IP insertion has become so forced. The thought process of “ how can we make this movie into a ride” is not the greatest starting point to create a great experience. IP insertion makes something new more familiar and less scary, it is the quick and easy route.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
You know, my idea for saving EPCOT (if money weren't an option) would be...

Future World central: New entrance, like they are doing now. Spaceship Earth stays pretty much the same except for updated effects, animatronics, new track and vehicles, new narrator, and new ending, plus new score.

Communicore: the additions added on over the years are removed and the buildings become two mirror crescent shapes with updated shopping, dining, and changing exhibits, with natural sunlight pouring it. All the millennial tents, crazy color schemes, are removed.

Future world west:

Seas is updated to be more edutainment. Nemo and friends teach us something about the oceans.

Land: refreshed Living with the Land and new Symbiosis film that's more edutainment and from DisneyNature

Imagination is demolished: (more to come below) and replaced with the air and space pavilions.

Air pavilion: weather/storm thrill attraction

Space pavilion: new mission space concept along with restaurant

Future World east:
Energy: new energy thrill ride with no IP

Wonders of Life: new health pavilion with one thrill ride and one family ride

Imagination: New pavilion with reconstructed pyramids. Inside is a modern interpretation in the spirit of the original ride with Dreamfinder and Figment. No 3D movie. No image works. Guests enter in a massive atrium with light pouring down from the pyramids. Exit the building thru a new rainbow tunnel and back outside.

Test track: stays the same for now

World Showcase:

New Canada film: already coming

UK: demolish world showplace. New toad ride goes in. New Mary Poppins carousel in a new park near it.

France: New Impressions de France, but keeping the beautiful soundtrack. Rat ride, already coming

Japan: envelopes land to the west of it. Mt Fuji rollercoaster is built.

Italy, expanded to showcase a Roman colosseum attraction

New country: Brazil

Germany: Rhine River cruise finally added

New country: Greece, battle of the gods ride inside a facade of the Acropolis

China: new film

Norway: gutted and a new viking thrill water ride. not some gentle ride with one small drop.

Mexico: new boat ride overlay

Figments Friend

I think we can also see shades of this in the Imagination Pavilion....the original ride was about exploring the products of the imagination.....visual arts, performing arts, literature, mathematics, and science.
Modern Imagination presents three of the five senses, before playing the song over and over and presenting you with fifty animatronic Figments before going to browse and buy Figment merchandise in a Diet Cola version of the Imageworks.

You are giving the current 'Imagination' Pavilion far too much credit.
It deserves none of it.
;)

Those 'fifty animatronic Figments' in the finale are all for the most part static figures.
Only two or three of them actually move, and it's extremely limited.

And the 'Diet Cola version of the Imageworks' ?
More like the flat, stale, un-carbonated Diet Cola version.
Or the 'Beverly' version.
Actually yeah....it's the 'Beverly' version for sure!

:depressed:

-

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

EPCOT CENTER was a place that inspired and informed all who chose to visit there. I miss the inspiring, and if we can dream it we can do it atmosphere. EPCOT was a special place, and now it will be just another theme park. I had hoped that EPCOT would return to its former glory, but now its officially dead. The new EPCOT will have beautiful new additions and wonderful new restaurants and shops, but inspiration is no longer its core mission, the new mission is $12 beer and a luxury shopping mall.
That is very true and also the reason why it has had to change. Those that chose to visit and be inspired and informed turned out to be to small a group to support the park. It isn't being changed for no reason. If it had been working well before it would remain. There were a lot of people that love the original EPCOT, myself included, but unless I was prepared to pay $10K for daily admission something had to change. I see it as keeping a number of things for the purpose of nostalgia and the changes are designed to bring life back into the park, not destroy it.

You are correct there were a number of things that were imaginative, wise and inspiring about EPCOT back in the day. But the shine came off the door knobs, so to speak. I'm looking forward to the new stuff coming in. I know it is going to take a few trips for our minds to accept the changes, but once we get used to it... it will be enjoyable, even if not great in our minds.

smile

It's great that you liked it so much (as did I in 1984) but the general publicly strongly preferred the MK - even during EPCOT Center's "golden years" in the 80s. That, combined with the astronomical cost of keeping Future World "futuristic" was what killed the original EPCOT Center.

EPCOT Center is like the dud movie that a large chunk of people loved.... but it was a still, relatively speaking, a dud.

It was like a great film that no one appreciated when it was in theaters

XaN5Y0a.png

FettFan

Did any of the Horizons fans on this website not notice the none-too-subtle point that the future was being brought to you by amazing new GE consumer products?

That's actually a key point of contention, discussed in the most recent episode of the WDW podcast. In Horizons' original incarnation, GE didn't want to go nuts with promotion, and aside from a smattering of GE produced household appliances, there wasn't a large presence.
horizonsrobotvacuum.jpg

(GE Vacuum)

In fact, most riders never actually connected the pavilion to GE....which is why not long after opening, they added fiber-optic wall that illuminated into a GE logo.

As well as a GE logo built into a giant plasma ball.

bUU

The guitar is a different model to the one Miguel uses in the movie. Though one probably shouldn't read much into it.
But we probably should read something into the fact that Mexico and Imagination were included on that abstract model, along with China, UK, and the rest of the venues that were announced.

juniorthomas

Hey y'all,

I haven't posted much here in the past few years (I saw Lee made a cameo!) but I have been tracking what's going on at WDW.

After watching the official announcements regarding EPCOT at D23 yesterday (feels weird to spell it EPCOT vs Epcot after all these years), I thought I'd write something.

For just over 10 years, EPCOT Center stood out, whether you loved it or were bored with it, stood out nevertheless...as an incredible feat for Disney. From architecture, bold planning, detailed attractions, and an array of shopping and dining. It broke away from the Magic Kingdom concept and arrived during the 80s tech boom and final years of the Cold War as an ambitious look at the future.

For all of its strengths, it was marred by criticism. EPCOT Center's Future World was full of 15-20 minute omnimover attractions, high science, and a World Showcase with no thrill rides and (still) vacant plots of land.

I first visited Epcot in 1996 as a tween during Walt Disney World's 25th Anniversary. I am so glad I saw it in its second phase (In my opinion, which was from 1994-1998). The original entrance was still there, Spaceship Earth had the great, very spiritual Jeremy Irons version, the Living Seas was in its original form, and the Land's first refresh was quite entertaining and educational with Food Rocks and Circle of Life.

I got to see the original Journey into Imagination, Wonders of Life, and Horizons, while experience Innoventions at its peak and Illuminations 25(A).

All of those experiences hold special memories for me. Epcot and the rest of my trip to WDW inspired me to go into the creative field where I'm now an Art Director.

The changes coming to EPCOT over the next few years in time for its 40th in 2022 solidify something that all fans must come to accept. EPCOT Center is dead. It is never coming back. There will never be another Horizons, don’t hold your breath on Figment and especially Dreamfinder, and don’t expect a new country coming to World Showcase without an IP tie in.

I have made my peace with EPCOT Center/Epcot. Not to sound like old Rose from Titanic, but it exists now only in my memory, my photos, my home movies, and the numerous pieces of footage found online.

I am so glad I got to see a blend of new and old in 1996 and have watched two key things since that first trip: seeing much of the park rot away since 2001 and the invasive addition of IP.

Nemo and friends don’t teach us anything about the ocean. It’s not about edutainment IP like Circle of Life did or inspiring attractions with no characters in like Soarin'. I have no problem with character meet n greets in Future World or World Showcase, but to overlay an entire ride for Frozen? Seriously?

Will Moana teach us about the beauty of nature and water on our way to the Living Seas, or will it be a playground where kids meet Moana randomly in a discovery theme park?

Will Spaceship Earth still be inspiring or will it be an indoor projection show overlayed on beautifully made sets that took years of research to produce?

The most disturbing thing I’ve heard over the past two years regarding Epcot comes from Bob Chapek, “…more Disney, more family, more timeless.”

EPCOT Center was Disney. It was family. Parts of it were timeless. It is through a lack of creative will and managerial vision that the public continues to associate Disney meaning character movies and nothing else that can be unique for the parks aside from constant IP.

Disney used to be so much more than the movies it produced or the properties it acquires, sadly one to two generations have no clue about that.

So, when I do visit EPCOT around 2021/22 I will look forward to seeing a beautiful landscaped park, cherishing my memories, but watching curiously at those buying up any retro EPCOT Center merchandise, watching them hope and pray for a park to return that only exists in the nostalgia of the 1980s.

No new pavilion icon or Figment plush will bring that park back, we can only hope EPCOT transitions smoothly over the next few years into a science and discovery theme park that uses IP wisely to inspire us and help us believe in a better world.
What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom