News Future World confirmed to be split into 3 neighborhoods

FerretAfros

But there will be a statue of Walt, so you can't question it because they clearly love Disney's history.
If there's one thing that The Walt Disney Company's revisionist history has taught me over the years, it's that Epcot (the theme park) is a manifestation of Walt's ideas for EPCOT (the city). He travelled all the way to central Florida, bought all that land, and made all those groundbreaking deals with the government, just so he could build a theme park. Makes sense that they'd want a statue of him looking wistfully into the distance, reveling in the grandeur of his vision.

In reality, they share almost nothing in common beyond the name. The theme park was visionary in a lot of ways, and played a major role in growing TWDC from a small movie studio into the company it is today, but there are previous few concepts (if any) that are directly linked to Walt's city. EPCOT Center was Card Walker's baby all the way.

I'm not surprised that TWDC of 2019 is trying to play up the Walt connections to pander to the fans; it's right on brand with ripping out the park's soul while plastering retro icons everywhere. The only surprising thing about this statue is that it doesn't have any characters sitting by Walt's side (at least, not yet).

doctornick

The names are so awkward though. I would like “World of Discovery” and “World of Nature” better.

This. Or even just calling them "Discovery", "Nature", and "Celebration" alone.

Edit:
World Discovery means a place to discover the world and not just a world where discovery takes place.

Okay, I can see that. Still seem awkward though.

That said, I do agree with re-adjusting Future World into some ethereal concepts not specifically tied to the future. I think there's a potentially there to actually have better, more focused areas that way.

sedati

If there's one thing that The Walt Disney Company's revisionist history has taught me over the years, it's that Epcot (the theme park) is a manifestation of Walt's ideas for EPCOT (the city). He travelled all the way to central Florida, bought all that land, and made all those groundbreaking deals with the government, just so he could build a theme park. Makes sense that they'd want a statue of him looking wistfully into the distance, reveling in the grandeur of his vision.

In reality, they share almost nothing in common beyond the name. The theme park was visionary in a lot of ways, and played a major role in growing TWDC from a small movie studio into the company it is today, but there are previous few concepts (if any) that are directly linked to Walt's city. EPCOT Center was Card Walker's baby all the way.

I'm not surprised that TWDC of 2019 is trying to play up the Walt connections to pander to the fans; it's right on brand with ripping out the park's soul while plastering retro icons everywhere. The only surprising thing about this statue is that it doesn't have any characters sitting by Walt's side (at least, not yet).
EPCOT wasn't just a city of the future. There were planned industrial/factory tours where one could see the implementation of near-future operations realized. The central area also included a sort of World Showcase type mall.

Tavernacle12

This ‘sorta’ works besides the Imagination issue...

I don’t hate it, but I doubt anyone is going to use the names anytime soon, and it feels like a lot of effort done that doesn’t really fix anything that’s wrong with the park. There’s no boundary between them, and only the nature section might have consistent theming.

I dunno. I like it insofar as there’s nothing I distinctly dislike about it. They’ve done enough damage elsewhere that this being ‘fine’ I suppose is good enough.

The Moana garden will help with theming in its new section, and I do feel like the expo centre fits a very classic Epcot look. How they update SSE and what happens to Impression and Imagination will determine whether this is a net positive or negative between the broken Epcot of today and its future.

(I think Poppins and Rat are net-positives no matter what)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I look forward to discovering, celebrating, and naturing in the appropriate neighborhoods. For god's sake, the former EPCOT Center is going to be a pointless, meandering, gobbledygookey mess for the foreseen future. Theme is irrelevant. At least use that freedom to come up with good names. I can't imagine the meeting where it was decided that the World xxxxxxxx naming template was a necessity...a rule that had to be followed. Maybe its to distract that a multi use corporate building and water maze are getting their own little posters and place in the pantheon of Epcot history along with actual WS pavilions and actual attractions.

philly97flyer

Any timeframe on when these changes take effect? Like when will the Future World name go away? When do they start utilizing the new park/pavilion logos?

lazyboy97o

I look forward to discovering, celebrating, and naturing in the appropriate neighborhoods. For god's sake, the former EPCOT Center is going to be a pointless, meandering, gobbledygookey mess for the foreseen future. Theme is irrelevant. At least use that freedom to come up with good names. I can't imagine the meeting where it was decided that the World xxxxxxxx naming template was a necessity...a rule that had to be followed. Maybe its to distract that a multi use corporate building and water maze are getting their own little posters and place in the pantheon of Epcot history along with actual WS pavilions and actual attractions.
How many meetings do you think it took before someone realized that Disney’s World Celebration, Disney’s World Discovery, Disney’s World Nature and Disney’s World Showcase would be a bit confusing?

articos

So...what happened to Fitzgerald? Weren't they going for the whole "he was part of Horizons, you can trust him!" thing last D23?
Tom’s mandate was update for today. That means the park he built is no longer, but there are interesting new things to come. Epcot Center had its time. The company has given a request to go in a new direction, and that’s what this new epcot will be. Do I wish they had kept EPCOT Center and updated? Yes. But that’s not the Disney company of right now. I’ll do a separate post with thoughts on the new direction. The new attractions will be of a quality that Tom is known for overseeing, however, which is top tier, even if it‘s not a redo of what used to be.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

Tom’s mandate was update for today. That means the park he built is no longer, but there are interesting new things to come. Epcot Center had its time. The company has given a request to go in a new direction, and that’s what this new epcot will be. Do I wish they had kept EPCOT Center and updated? Yes. But that’s not the Disney company of right now. I’ll do a separate post with thoughts on the new direction. The new attractions will be of a quality that Tom is known for overseeing, however, which is top tier, even if it‘s not a redo of what used to be.

First of all, the user asked what happenend to tom since at D23 2017 he was the face of this redevelopment of Epcot not ken.

Second of all, there is nothing “quality” about Tom Fitzgerald’s work and he is a big reason why WDI has gone to the dogs and the parks division went in this IP/screen heavy direction

flynnibus

Premium Member

Well.. maybe wdw as a whole was more Walt than the Epcot center concept they came up with. But the ideals and principles I’d still say had Walt’s dna - even is the park’s final design did not.

At least card kept walt’s Idea of having other people pay for things ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom