Was Roy Disney dying when WDW opened in 1971?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Honestly, I've always wondered this. We know the story of Roy, he takes over things when Walt dies to oversee the construction of WDW. He is there for the opening in October 1971 and then dies on December 20th, 1971. He had retired after the opening.

Roy was a huge part of the company so much that his statue is still on Main Street (although it does move from bench to bench).

But since he died just a couple of months later was he sick when WDW opened? He died from what is called an intracranial hemorrhage. Not sure if that affected him two months prior or not.

ppete1975

I dont know, and its an interesting question. I was thinking anyone no matter what age can have that happen with no warning at all. If so he didnt know he was dying because of that. Now those can also be caused by a fall, and at his age that is quite possible.

Goofyernmost

Theoretically, we all start dying at the moment of birth. Distance away being the important factor. He looked pretty good in the pictures of him at the dedication, but, lots of things can be lurking inside that we are not even aware of and then comes on strong. However, he was 78 years old at the time. Not old, but, in that range.

Heppenheimer

Intra-cerebral hemorrhages tend to occur suddenly with little warning. He probably wasn't in stellar health at the time, but he may have felt at his usual baseline right before the fatal blood vessel burst. If not treated promptly (and they probably had far fewer tools to treat them in 1971), the patient usually dies very quickly.

Of course, I know nothing at all about Roy Disney's health. There could have been other things going on, like a series of smaller prior strokes, or a brain tumor that would put him at risk for bleeding. But often, cerebral hemorrhages just errupt suddenly and kill an otherwise active individual with little prior warning.

If Roy lived the same unhealthy lifestyle as his brother, a cerebral hemorrhage would be one of the possible expected outcomes.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Intra-cerebral hemorrhages tend to occur suddenly with little warning. He probably wasn't in stellar health at the time, but he may have felt at his usual baseline right before the fatal blood vessel burst. If not treated promptly (and they probably had far fewer tools to treat them in 1971), the patient usually dies very quickly.

Of course, I know nothing at all about Roy Disney's health. There could have been other things going on, like a series of smaller prior strokes, or a brain tumor that would put him at risk for bleeding. But often, cerebral hemorrhages just errupt suddenly and kill an otherwise active individual with little prior warning.

If Roy lived the same unhealthy lifestyle as his brother, a cerebral hemorrhage would be one of the possible expected outcomes.

A massive cerebral hemorrhage killed my mother, so I concur.

If Roy smoked like Walt, his days were numbered.

Sonconato

My father was 53 when he had his cerebral hemorrhage. He had gone to work that day, and had the cerebral hemorrhage while driving home and never came home again. It was quite sudden, and is quite possible that Roy had no clue.

DisneyDoctor

Most occur without a warning. He could've had an aneurysm brewing and it ruptured. Smoking is a huge risk factor. Stress is as well, which, I imagine, he was under quite a bit throughout his life.

DisneyDoctor

Why smoking is a risk to brain
Smoking is a risk to blood vessel health. Aneurysms are actually kinda common in smokers. Basically the vessels weaken and parts balloon out. These balloons are at risk of rupturing. They can occur in the brain, as in intracranial hemorrhages when ruptured, or other places like the aorta, known as a AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm).

Not as long of a track record to study, but you can look at the studies for popcorn lung as as a start.
Supposedly, they isolated the chemical causing popcorn lung (diacetyl) and that is no longer in the liquids people vape. I’m not sure how regulated the industry is though in terms of ingredients of the liquid.

Cosmic Commando

I feel like I remember hearing that the grand opening was delayed because of his health (it wasn’t until 10/25/71), but I can’t find anyone online saying it now.

Cmdr_Crimson

I feel like I remember hearing that the grand opening was delayed because of his health (it wasn’t until 10/25/71), but I can’t find anyone online saying it now.
The parks blog site mentions it

Cosmic Commando

The parks blog site mentions it
I wasn't clear; I don't think most people realize the grand opening with that picture of Roy and Mickey they've seen wasn't on 10/1, but I don't think that's a secret. I just couldn't quickly find a site that mentioned the reason for having the grand opening when they did was because of Roy's health.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom